Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 07:16 PM

15 posts, read 25,563 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of designing a home. The home will be built on a lot in Chapel Hill (outside of town limits). I am trying to assess if radiant heating systems are common in the Triangle area (Info on radiant heat -> Radiant Heating | Department of Energy)

I would like to hear from home owners in the Triangle area who have radiant heat flooring systems installed in their homes. Specifically, I would like to know (1) What type of radiant heat system is installed in the home (2) What has been the overall experience (3) Has it provided any savings when compared with typical forced air heating systems

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 08:32 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,204,196 times
I don't have radiant heat but I can say that from the variety of homes across price ranges all over the Triangle that I've shown - it's not common at all. I'd dare say less than 1%. Of course, once you install it, maybe you never want to sell that house!

Old 04-01-2013, 09:19 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,236,574 times
I sold a custom built home in Durham, years ago, that had tile on the entire first floor with radiant heat. It wasn't a very expensive home.

I showed a house in Chapel Hill that SAID it had radiant heat but the tenant said it did not. My clients did not like the layout of the house but it did sell.

I sold a home in Heritage that had a bathroom with radiant heat tile floors.

Like Bo said, it isn't very prevelant but there are some out there. Not sure you'll get your money back when/if you sell but if it is something you want, I don't think it will hurt re sale unless you choose some really ugly tile (that was the case in the Durham house).

Vicki

Old 04-01-2013, 11:38 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,526,115 times
Radiant heat can also be placed under wood flooring. I LOVE it, feels great on bare feet, the room is comfortable, and the air doesn't become so dry that your nose bleeds.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:49 AM

43,269 posts, read 77,063,738 times
While it is a very pleasant and efficient heating method, radiant floor heat for an entire home here is uncommon.
Forced air heat dominates, since you can use the same delivery system for cooling the home.

To install radiant floor heating and also to install a central AC system creates redundant expense, most people will just proceed with forced air HVAC systems.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:54 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,676,321 times
On a smaller scale, I installed radiant mats under the tiles in my master bath. We like it so much that we'd seriously consider it for the whole house should we ever build again. The warmth is so much better than forced air. We used the electric mats.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:08 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,076,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
On a smaller scale, I installed radiant mats under the tiles in my master bath. We like it so much that we'd seriously consider it for the whole house should we ever build again. The warmth is so much better than forced air. We used the electric mats.
We have under tile electric radiant mats in our master bath too. Since our master is over an unheated space the mats are the only way to go in that application. There is something luxurious about walking barefoot across a heated floor.

Most whole house radiant floor heating systems actually use hydronic (water) based systems as it usually is more cost effective to operate (electric mats are as energy efficient as the strip heaters in your heat pump air handler) . As mentioned, hydronic systems are not very popular in this area.

Frank

Last edited by frankpc; 04-02-2013 at 06:52 AM..

Old 04-02-2013, 01:09 PM

15 posts, read 25,563 times
Thanks to all for your responses..
west seattle gal - That was my primary reason to consider radiant heating.. Have you had any issues with wood warping?
C_Lan & frankpc - Would you consider installing the radiant mats throughout the house?

Thanks

Old 04-02-2013, 01:48 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,076,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by javaman24 View Post
Thanks to all for your responses..
west seattle gal - That was my primary reason to consider radiant heating.. Have you had any issues with wood warping?
C_Lan & frankpc - Would you consider installing the radiant mats throughout the house?

Thanks
Nope. Assuming you mean electric radiant mats. Too expensive to install and operate for large areas. A whole house radiant/hydronic floor would be more cost effective but still a bit of a one off. I would have to convince myself that adequate support was available.

Frank

Old 04-02-2013, 02:02 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,595,895 times
My wifes parents built a house in rural VA that has the heated floors. Feels weird, I suppose you'd have to get used to them. Personally, I say that as long as you understand that you are purchasing that option as something to personally enjoy, and are not necessarily concerned with trying to get your money back in future sales, nothing should hold you back from getting what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary