Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 07:53 PM

120 posts, read 206,182 times

Advertisements

Whether it is a Toyota or not. High mileage on any vehicle and no extra cash to fix any miscellaneous item that might fail, is pretty scary. Are you starting to see why the new car market is constantly thriving?

Cars were never intended to be indefinite members of the family. Consumers have allowed the idea of longevity to exist. What is the old saying, "All good things come to an end".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 01:49 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,676,988 times
I see that there's a big market in used cars too. I've always bought used cars that I could pay for in cash. I've never regretted it. The money I'm saving because I don't have a car payment, could go toward unexpected repairs or toward the purchase of another vehicle. Point of a car is to get me from point a to point b. No reason why I'd need to take out a loan just to do that.

I've seen friends buy the latest cars and then see something else that they like. They end up changing cars at least once a year (sometimes more often) and are upside down, carrying much more debt than their cars are worth.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:17 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryingtofigureitout View Post
Cars were never intended to be indefinite members of the family. Consumers have allowed the idea of longevity to exist. What is the old saying, "All good things come to an end".
Good. You just keep thinking like that and I'll just keep buying your used cars after you take the 50-75% hit for depreciation. Then I'll drive them for another 5 years and another 60K miles on the odometer.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:02 AM

709 posts, read 934,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Good. You just keep thinking like that and I'll just keep buying your used cars after you take the 50-75% hit for depreciation. Then I'll drive them for another 5 years and another 60K miles on the odometer.
I buy new but keep 8 to 10 years. Heck put 275K clicks on the last car without much in repairs. Buy the toyotas the hondas change the oil, the brake pads a battery tires and you are good to go. Heck some now don't even need timing belt changes. the people who started this thread want a new car. Hey go for it IF you can afford it.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:06 AM

85 posts, read 254,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Check to see what your van is selling for on, say, autotrader.com. When you trade cars, the dealer always discounts your vehicle heavily. You'll get more money for it by selling it yourself. - OR - keep the car until it's paid off. Then buy one that's a year or two old...you won't be footing the bill for depreciation.

It's also a good idea to check with Edmunds,Kelly's or NADA on line for both trade in value as well as private party values.

Always let dealers know that you know what fair market values are.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:34 AM

842 posts, read 3,228,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryingtofigureitout View Post
however, the Chinese will ruin the entire car market from head to toe! They will come in with their very cheaply made vehicles and sell them for half the asking price of similar vehicles advertised.
Yea...but they'll be covered in lead paint!

(Sorry..couldn't resist)

Old 10-29-2007, 09:29 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
I buy stripped base models new.

Save a bunch of money by avoiding the options and get a full factory warranty to boot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary