Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 07:58 AM

7 posts, read 18,309 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Cary and want to go to Mills Park Middle and Panther Creek High. I am finding very limited inventory for houses in our range up to $320K. Does anyone know if I could broaden my search in the MLS by looking to see if there is a YR school base with Mills Park Middle as the traditional calendar option. This move has been so distracting trying to get the schools we want. So if there is anything I can do to put in my search, please let me know. Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 08:00 AM

65 posts, read 111,802 times
Alston Ridge Elementary is a year round school that feeds to Mills Park Middle and Panther Creek High.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:42 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,073,937 times
what is Mills Park's "occupancy" rate?

Old 04-04-2013, 09:48 AM

189 posts, read 505,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasey View Post
We are moving to Cary and want to go to Mills Park Middle and Panther Creek High. I am finding very limited inventory for houses in our range up to $320K. Does anyone know if I could broaden my search in the MLS by looking to see if there is a YR school base with Mills Park Middle as the traditional calendar option. This move has been so distracting trying to get the schools we want. So if there is anything I can do to put in my search, please let me know. Thank you,
If I understood your question correctly, you want to buy a house that has a YR school as their base, but Mills Park Middle as their Trad calendar option.
I don't think that is possible.
Typically, the neighborhoods that have a YR Middle as Base would not allow Traditional option that is overcrowded like Mills Park.
I looked up a few neighborhoods in your price range nearby, for eg. Brookstone in Cary, and they have Salem YR as their Base school, with Apex MS as their Trad option and not Davis Dr which is the nearest.
BTW, all of them are very good MS, and comparable to Mills Park.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:02 AM

187 posts, read 801,672 times
Both Alston Ridge & Highcoft are year round elementary schools that feed into Mills Park Middle School. As an FYI - Mills Park Elementary School was capped because of capacity this year and will be next year too... Mills Park Middle school is close if not at capacity also. We have had new neighbors move in this year that could not get in to Mills Park Middle because it was full - didn't matter that they moved close to the school. They were assigned to West Cary Middle. WCPSS has a lot of assignment problems. You should move to the area because you really like it and for a job... The school assignments change regularly. If you are not comfortable with that, rethink maybe choosing a different county that's still close for a commute to work?

Old 04-04-2013, 10:12 AM

187 posts, read 801,672 times
And please don't take my tone as snarky in regards to looking into other counties to move. Wake County schools have had a lot of reassignment issues & still don't have an organized plan... Seems to change with each election. The basic issue in Western Wake County is too many kids are moving in with not enough schools being built etc.. especially in Mills Park feeder area, ground is breaking on at least 6 new neighborhoods that i can see. Not sure where all those kids will go in 1-2yrs when a majority of those new houses are built? If I had to choose again would've went with Northern Chatham County... Schools are ok, new schools need to be built there too but it's really about being an involved parent. If you are involved as a parent with your kids and their school work they will do well anywhere that they go to school

Old 04-04-2013, 10:35 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,228,231 times
Will your child be attending middle school next school year or are you just looking to the future? If the latter, I would suggest you focus mostly on the elementary school placement. I honestly think that in this area of Cary ( where I live) there will be some big changes to middle school assignments. As a prior poster noted, they are building like crazy here and Mills Park Middle is bursting at the seams. I honestly don't know where all these kids are going to go to school!

Old 04-04-2013, 10:48 AM

22,614 posts, read 36,516,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
Will your child be attending middle school next school year or are you just looking to the future? If the latter, I would suggest you focus mostly on the elementary school placement. I honestly think that in this area of Cary ( where I live) there will be some big changes to middle school assignments. As a prior poster noted, they are building like crazy here and Mills Park Middle is bursting at the seams. I honestly don't know where all these kids are going to go to school!
I agree with this - don't make yourself crazy about school assignments if you only have an elemetary aged kid. If you plan on living that far out in western Cary, you are pretty much guaranteed reassignment issues. They are building out fast, and there just aren't enough schools, particularly middle schools, to handle the flow. If you currently have a middle schooler now that's a different story.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:21 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,977,922 times
The quick answer to your question is no. There is not a neighborhood that has a YR middle school as its base that then has Mills Park MS as its traditional option. As a previous poster mentioned, the closest YR middle school to Mills Park MS is Salem MS and Salem's traditional option is Apex MS.

The issue is that Mills Park MS was supposed to open as a year round middle school. However, the school board at the time (I can't even remember which one it was) surveyed the parents and the parents wanted it to be traditional. So they switched it. That caused Mills Park ES to switch to traditional too (it was already open and operating as year round). And now both schools are overcrowded and Northwest Cary has no year round middle school for the multiple year round elementary schools in the area.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:25 AM

120 posts, read 235,844 times
We currently live in a NW cary neighborhood and our kids go to Alston Ridge ES, which is year round. We are very happy with the school and with the year round. At this point, they would go to Mills Park MS. My kids are in kindergarden now so things to change in 5 years, and I would love that change to be the new middle school by Alston Ridge. I love the newer schools, plus the no crowding is huge benefit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary