Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2013, 02:51 PM

42 posts, read 26,858 times

Advertisements

Hi! Looking to relocate to RTP area from CO. Will work out of a home office, so high speed Internet is a must, due to security/firewalls on my company's network servers. Satellite Internet won't do - gotta be cable configuration. Some suburban neighborhoods don’t seem too remote, but they have septic, propane, etc. Makes me wonder if cable Internet infrastructure is just not there either? Realtors I’ve asked either don’t know, or tell me neighborhood “probably” has it - not a definitive answer. Could anyone on this board advise on areas where it is not available - areas that I should avoid looking? Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 03:16 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,525,471 times
Cable's here, POTS wire lines are everywhere, lots of fiber service. You should be fine.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:21 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,914,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningamok View Post
Hi! Looking to relocate to RTP area from CO. Will work out of a home office, so high speed Internet is a must, due to security/firewalls on my company's network servers. Satellite Internet won't do - gotta be cable configuration. Some suburban neighborhoods don’t seem too remote, but they have septic, propane, etc. Makes me wonder if cable Internet infrastructure is just not there either? Realtors I’ve asked either don’t know, or tell me neighborhood “probably” has it - not a definitive answer. Could anyone on this board advise on areas where it is not available - areas that I should avoid looking? Thanks all!
In Durham Co., the only area where I know there are challenges is unincorporated northern Durham Co., near the Person Co. border. I have colleagues there who relied on satellite because they were too far from CO's for DSL and did not have CATV services in their neighborhoods. However, I don't think this is issue anywhere south of (say) the Treyburn area -- practically the entire county is covered by TWC for their high-speed internet and cable services, plus DSL from Frontier.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:12 PM

725 posts, read 1,500,701 times
In Wake county you won't have any problems in any of the towns. If you have a neighborhood in mind use the Time Warner site to check an address for availability -

https://order.timewarnercable.com/Se...:get%20started

Old 04-13-2013, 02:08 PM

Thanks to all for your input. I have been reviewing some other posts on this board.... is it really true, there is no competing cable company in the area (eg. Comcast or Cox)?

Old 04-13-2013, 03:05 PM

523 posts, read 1,326,710 times
Quote:
Thanks to all for your input. I have been reviewing some other posts on this board.... is it really true, there is no competing cable company in the area (eg. Comcast or Cox)?
That's correct - TWC has a monopoly for cable Internet service here. Earthlink resells TWC's service under its own brand and that might save you some money, but they don't offer the two higher speed tiers (30 Mbps and 50 Mbps) that TWC does. They cap out at 15 Mbps.

For what it's worth, cable monopolies have been the rule in most other places I've lived, too.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:24 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,914,833 times
Quote:
I would be very curious if you're coming from a place in Colorado that had multiple competing cable options, how that worked? Municipally-owned fiber/cabling to the house with multiple providers over one pipe, or something else...? As the PP noted, I've only ever lived in places that had one and only one cable company -- Time Warner here, Bright House in Florida, Comcast in Boston, etc.

The max speeds TWC offers are 50 Mb/s download, 5 Mb/s upload. Should likely be fast enough for work from home situations. (DOCSIS 3 network.)

The one town with real competing options is Wilson, where Greenlight is available as a municipally-run fiber to the home network. However, it is pricier than TWC and Wilson is also not a popular option in the Triangle due to its peripheral location -- about an hour outside RTP.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:31 PM

Hi Bull City Rising: whoops, you make a good point - I've never lived anywhere with multiple competing cable options either, so I guess my question was a moot point :-(
Also, now I see the typo in my original post: I'm from CA, not CO.
Where I currently live in CA, we have Time Warner in one part of the city and Cox in the other. But I can't choose one over the other. Thanks for the info on the upload/download speeds, that is helpful!

Old 04-21-2013, 04:37 PM
WDJ

286 posts, read 789,126 times
There's also AT&T U-verse in some places if you want to go the fiber route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary