Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 07:35 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,772,566 times

Advertisements

Houses are moving FAST--my officemate just listed her place Friday night on MLS and by today there was already a bidding war over it. This is quite a change for the past few years, BTW. $400K is a reasonable amount (and then some) in most parts of the Triangle unless you want a McMansion or a really "desirable" location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 07:43 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 21 days ago)

43,176 posts, read 76,815,786 times
In TMLS Areas 5, 10, and 15, as of yesterday morning, there were 54 Contingent and Pending resale homes that had gone to contract in less than 2 Days On Market.
10 of those went to contract in 0 Days On Market.
I know of way too many multiple offer situations on first day on market. People are writing offers and figuring they can work out the details during Due Diligence. When a buyer terminates, the home is sold without even being exposed to market again. The agent just runs it past the agents who presented offers to see who will step up.

Address-based school assignments, even if only for one year, have made Western Wake a buyers' frenzy. People are rolling the dice, betting 30 year mortgages on one year school assignments.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:31 PM

224 posts, read 431,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Buyers are having to make decisions too quickly and I'm afraid will make mistakes. But, that is just MY OPINION.

Vicki

Yeah, I'm afraid of that too. We are getting ready to put our house on the market but realized how low the inventory is right now and aren't sure we'd find something we really want! Another realtor told us it was the lowest in years!!! He said there will be a lot of new construction available in 6-9 mos. (Not sure about ITB or Cary, but certainly the surrounding areas)

Old 04-08-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
In TMLS Areas 5, 10, and 15, as of yesterday morning, there were 54 Contingent and Pending resale homes that had gone to contract in less than 2 Days On Market.
10 of those went to contract in 0 Days On Market.
I know of way too many multiple offer situations on first day on market. People are writing offers and figuring they can work out the details during Due Diligence. When a buyer terminates, the home is sold without even being exposed to market again. The agent just runs it past the agents who presented offers to see who will step up.

Address-based school assignments, even if only for one year, have made Western Wake a buyers' frenzy. People are rolling the dice, betting 30 year mortgages on one year school assignments.
That is crazy about the school assignments!
Which TMLS area is Fuquay-Varina in? How is F-V doing in comparison to more desirable areas? Do you think 540 is helping?

Old 04-08-2013, 08:45 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 21 days ago)

43,176 posts, read 76,815,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAbornNClivin View Post
That is crazy about the school assignments!
Which TMLS area is Fuquay-Varina in? How is F-V doing in comparison to more desirable areas? Do you think 540 is helping?
You will find FV homes in Areas 16, 17, and 9.
540 may propel growth in FV more if we ever get confirmation on the route for the SE Extension.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:06 PM

451 posts, read 1,155,764 times
There are a lot of buyers with their fingers on the trigger for lack of a better term. Inventory is low as other posters have mentioned. And the pool of qualified buyers without contingencies is full. We are one of those potential buyers checking mls daily. The one house that may have been a good fit for us was under contract the first day.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:11 PM

451 posts, read 1,155,764 times
I'm sure the experienced realtors who are active can correct me if I'm wrong-

Coming into this spring, I expected there to be a surge of listings as people who were waiting and holding for the market to improve flooded the market. It hasn't happened. My thought is that there are probably many who want to sell but they are still upside down in their mortgage and can't afford to come to the table with a short-sale. I think this is especially true inside the beltline. New constructions even over 1M are selling like hotcakes. The lack of quality listings has really been surprising.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:18 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,189,719 times
I have clients that live out of town. A Home came on the market late one afternoon. I made an appointment (within an hour) for them to see it the next day. They drove in with 4 kids...5 hours. I got a call that morning from listing Agent...house was sold.

The buyer that purchased it had been looking for just the right house and that was it. He had his agent call listing agent and he paid OVER FULL PRICE with the contingency that he'd have first right of refusal in the AM. He gave sellers 2 hours to accept or decline. Seller accepted!

This is not normal for our area. I'm not sure I WANT it to be the norm. It means with low supply and high demand, we will see prices go up. That is good for sellers and maybe it is their turn. However, fast decisions sometimes aren't the best decisions.

Vicki

Old 04-08-2013, 09:21 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,189,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kids_Dentist View Post
I'm sure the experienced realtors who are active can correct me if I'm wrong-

Coming into this spring, I expected there to be a surge of listings as people who were waiting and holding for the market to improve flooded the market. It hasn't happened. My thought is that there are probably many who want to sell but they are still upside down in their mortgage and can't afford to come to the table with a short-sale. I think this is especially true inside the beltline. New constructions even over 1M are selling like hotcakes. The lack of quality listings has really been surprising.
You are right. Usually, spring is the time of year that people start to get ready to move...kids are finishing school and so more listings do come on the market. Also...the media kept telling everyone that there was lots of inventory that was going to hit the market but that didn't come true.

I'm still seeing home come on the market. And the "good ones" get sold within 5 days.

I had a small house in Durham sell with 2 offers, before I even had time to do my flyers!

Vicki

Old 04-08-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post

This is not normal for our area. I'm not sure I WANT it to be the norm. It means with low supply and high demand, we will see prices go up. That is good for sellers and maybe it is their turn. However, fast decisions sometimes aren't the best decisions.

Vicki

So what do you do if you are a seller and a buyer??? So hard to decide whether to wait or not! Our house probably would not go up much if we waited, so I'm thinking we should try to sell now and get another house before prices go up. Doesn't that make sense if you're looking to move to a more expensive house right now? Percentage-wise I mean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary