Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 06:29 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,670 times

Advertisements

I arrived back from vacation to my home computer not booting the operating system and giving me a stop error that I haven't been able to find enough info about to fix. Does anyone know of any reputable computer repair places that they can recommend?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 07:30 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,308,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
I arrived back from vacation to my home computer not booting the operating system and giving me a stop error that I haven't been able to find enough info about to fix. Does anyone know of any reputable computer repair places that they can recommend?

Thanks!
My husband is a computer repairman, and has had his own business for about five years now. If you like, PM me and I'll send you his information.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:25 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,680,321 times
What's the stop error?

Old 10-29-2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
What's the stop error?
Here it 'tis:

STOP: c0000221 {Bad image checksum}
The image advapi32.dll is possibly corrupt. The header checksum does not match the computed checksum.

This is what comes up after it tries to load Windows for a few seconds (XP Home), then the drives cut off and I get the lovely blue screen of death.

I've tried starting in Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Command Prompt and the last good configuration, all to the same result.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:16 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,518,485 times
I googled your error and came bk with this from Microsoft's website. Did you just upgrade to XP by chance?
link

Old 10-29-2007, 12:17 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,518,485 times
correction .

Old 10-29-2007, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
I googled your error and came bk with this from Microsoft's website. Did you just upgrade to XP by chance?
link
I have seen this as well after a google. I haven't upgraded to XP, it was the operating system that came on the computer when I bought it new. I also don't have a boot disk as the instructions call for, nor do I have a regular Windows XP install CD (just the Dell reinstallation copy that came with the computer). The copy that came with the computer seems to be good only for reinstalling the operating system.

All the other forums I have searched with this problem didn't really have enough information for me to be able to resolve the problem on my own (which I have been capable of doing in the past), or they don't really show a clear resolution other than reinstalling XP. This is certainly not ideal for someone who doesn't want to lose the data on their harddrive (me). And no, I didn't have everything backed up, I know, bad me!

Old 07-18-2008, 01:31 PM

16 posts, read 76,043 times
I'm currently having a similar problem. My computer cannot boot up windows XP, and it gives me the option of rebooting in safe mode, normally, with last working configuration, safe mode with networking and safe mode with a command prompt and none of them work upon selection. One tip I found online was to download onto a cdrom a boot disk for XP and try to see if my computer will boot up from the disk, but if not, I need to find somewhere in the RTP area to take my computer. I'm getting ready to buy a new one so what I really want is to recover my personal data from the hard drive. Any suggestions/recommendation for local computer repair/recovery?

Old 07-18-2008, 04:16 PM

150 posts, read 506,991 times
Hi there,

My husband owns his own computer repair business here and back in CA. He works a lot with businessess and individual users. He's mobile, so he comes to you. PM if you would like his contact info! He often helps folks over the phone if it's not too big of a deal. Best of luck regardless.

Christinabean

Last edited by christinabean; 07-18-2008 at 04:31 PM..

Old 07-18-2008, 06:36 PM

170 posts, read 1,014,645 times
I've had that error. And I resolved it in 2 ways.
First time I took the drive to another PC and copied the important data, then performed a low level format, then reinstalled in original PC and reloaded the OS. Restored data through LAN connection. Took ~ 2hrs of my time if you don't count the time spent worrying about it.

Next time I had that error I ran SpinRite 6.0. It took many hours of churning but it spit out a working PC. AFAIK it reformats the drive without data loss. Took 5 mins of my time.

YMMV as I'm no SE.

edit: oh & I use Ghost to make image backups (though it's been a few months since last time).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary