Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 06:50 AM

286 posts, read 749,791 times

Advertisements

Each month my wife and I have dinner out with another couple. We pick different restaurants to visit. Since the new Hibernian Pub on FON is very close to our house and neither of use had been we picked it. My wife and I arrived at 5:55pm....the parking lot is very small and was of course full. Cars were parked along the curb, in front of Tookies,everywhere. After 5pm, Hibernian customers can park in the far back lot of the other business. Luckily, there was one spot in the back corner and we got it. There were 3 other cars lined up sitting/looking for parking. We entered Hibernian and was promptly seated in a booth for 4. We also noticed a sign on the door warning Hibernian customers not to park in Bent Tree Plaza (Kroger parking lot) next door or they would be towed. We ordered drinks are were waiting for the other couple to arrive. At 6:20pm, they called informing us they had been in the parking lot for 10 mins. waiting/looking a place to park. 10 mins later they call back to tell us they were at Kroger, telling us they were going to park there and walk to Hibernian. We then informed them of the towing sign on the door. At that time, we decided to give up on Hibernian and go to the Village Grill at Lafayette Village. As we left there were 4 cars sitting in the parking lot waiting for parking, with one following us to our spot. When inside I noticed many servers, bartenders,etc....I wonder where they are parking.

While waiting, I walked through the restaurant. It is really big and nice with more tables/seating than the old Duffy's had. I saw several empty tables....empty tables inside, with no parking outside go figure. Obviously, Hibernian has more seating than the parking lot will accommodate. We will try again at a later date, hoping the "new" will wear off and be less crowded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 07:39 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,703,450 times
The real problem for the Hibernian is that when customers can't get in, the place isn't making money. I thought the parking lot was small, and the location isn't really conducive to walking, so it just keeps people from spending money there.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
The real problem for the Hibernian is that when customers can't get in, the place isn't making money. I thought the parking lot was small, and the location isn't really conducive to walking, so it just keeps people from spending money there.
I agree. We were not the only customers we saw leaving either. Hibernian should work out some deal ($$$) with Bent Tree Plaza to allow parking in their big lot. That is the closest option for overflow parking. The other option is park at Lafayette Village and walk through the two convenient store lots to Hibernian.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:41 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Sounds like a pretty typical evening of dining out in "downtown" Chapel Hill, but for the fact that your car hadn't already been towed by the time you stepped off the lot. The lack of parking for businesses that obviously require it drives me crazy.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:46 AM

195 posts, read 286,075 times
We went recently and got lucky. The parking lot was packed but the Hibernian wasn't. I don't know what they can do really. Those dentists must hate having them there. Maybe if they move out, that building can be replaced with a parking garage.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:00 PM

334 posts, read 867,516 times
I personally won't wait for parking. Try carpooling.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:00 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Sounds like a pretty typical evening of dining out in "downtown" Chapel Hill, but for the fact that your car hadn't already been towed by the time you stepped off the lot. The lack of parking for businesses that obviously require it drives me crazy.
Really? Chapel Hill is the most walkable town/city and has the best bus services in the Triangle. How many businesses in downtown can there be that "require" parking?

Old 04-12-2013, 05:07 PM

83 posts, read 207,954 times
I often use the gas station next to the new Hibernian, and each time I see that the Hibernian's lot is full, with people looking for spots. This area also is quite commercial, with lots of cars at relatively fast speeds pulling into and out of lots, etc. Not an ideal spot to go for a walk.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:04 PM

Saw this on Hibernian FB page...
Wyatt:
You are aware that your customers cars are being towed who park in the shopping center across the street arent you? The Shopping Center owner has tow trucks towing at $125 per tow.

Hibernian:
We actually have a sign posted at our door that we don't have an agreement with Bent Tree Plaza. We're trying to work something out with neighboring lots. We'll let you know when we have something worked out.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:54 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
Chapel Hill is the most walkable town/city and has the best bus services in the Triangle. How many businesses in downtown can there be that "require" parking?
I live 4 miles north of Franklin Street, so I can't really walk there for dinner. And I'm certainly not taking my wife on a dinner date to Elaine's (or other W. Franklin restaurants) on the bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary