U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 07:58 AM

32 posts, read 77,350 times

Advertisements

I have a new neighbor that moved in about 8 months ago. They have a dog that they keep outside 24 hours a day. I don't think that its ever been in the house. This dog barks non stop at night. It seriously wakes my wife and I up every night at some point. I have talked with the neighbors about this, they refuse to do anything. I have called my HOA, they say they don't get involved in disputes between neighbors even though in the covenants is states "noise" disturbances are not allowed. I have called animal control and all they will do is come an talk to the neighbors and "remind" them of the noise hours, but they won't do anything else. I have even called the sheriff and had them come out. Of course when they come out in the middle of the night, the dog isn't barking so they can't do anything. This is seriously effecting my quality of life.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to help fix this issue? The neighbor has been talked with by numerous neighbors, so they obviously don't care about anyone around them because they refuse to do anything about it.

If anyone has idea on how to help fix this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

Old 04-11-2013, 08:04 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,680,171 times
I had this problem with a prior neighbor so I bought this device. Amazon.com: Lentek Super Bark Free Dog Training Device: Pet Supplies

It certainly helped but didn't stop all barking.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:16 AM

Thanks.. i actually already bought that and its not helping.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:41 AM

8,185 posts, read 20,466,854 times
Have you poured through the town of Fuquay's noise ordinance? Town of Cary actually has a ordinance against dogs barking continuously for over 30 minues within their general noise ordinance. Unfortunaately our neighbors did the same thing. They have gotten better, but I printed out the ordinance and showed it to them, then called the town to come to talk to them. They can actually be fined several hundred dollars for each occurence after they've been notified and I was totally willing to take it that far.
Do people not realize how unbelievable annoying this is?

Old 04-11-2013, 08:45 AM
Status: "school starts Monday, summer's over" (set 5 days ago)

13,768 posts, read 20,504,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Do people not realize how unbelievable annoying this is?
Anyone who would keep their dog outside 24/7 clearly doesn't care - why do they even have it?

Old 04-11-2013, 09:17 AM

9,198 posts, read 19,618,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Have you poured through the town of Fuquay's noise ordinance?
See Part 8 - Chapter 6 for noise ordinances and Chapter 10 for animal regulations:

TOWN OF FUQUAY-VARINA, NORTH CAROLINA CODE OF ORDINANCES

8-10005 DISTURBING ANIMAL NOISE; PUBLIC NUISANCE.

(a) It shall be a violation of this chapter for an owner or possessor to keep, maintain or permit the keeping or maintenance of a public nuisance animal within the Town's corporate limits whereby such animal makes continuous disturbing or annoying noises so as to constitute a public nuisance or disturbance as set out in 8-10002(2).

(b) In order for a valid noise complaint against the owner of an animal to constitute a public nuisance in violation of this provision, such complaint must be based on either two or more complaining witnesses from separate households filing such complaint with the Town of Fuquay-Varina Police Department, or if there is a single noise complaint then a law enforcement officer, investigating the noise complaint, must confirm that the noise is indeed a public nuisance in violation of this provision.

(c) If the animal is creating a public nuisance for noise in violation of this provision, then the owner of the animal committing the nuisance shall be given a written warning (to abate the nuisance) upon the first offense or if the owner cannot be found or contacted, the premises where the animal(s) is located shall be posted with such warning. In either case the owner shall abate the public nuisance within 72 hours of the warning or be subject to subsequent penalties as provided in this Chapter. Whether the animal is the same animal or a different animal, or various animals belonging to the same owner, any subsequent complaints shall constitute additional violations and the owner shall face additional penalties in accordance with this Chapter.

(d) Any public nuisance caused by provocation or incitement of the subject animal, by someone other than the owner of the animal, shall not constitute a violation of this provision.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:19 AM

I'm not in town limits, so wake county takes control. But I will still call Fuquay and see if they can do anything. I have had animal control and the sheriffs out to talk with them and they both refuse to do anything.

As for the dog being outside 24/7, I agree. That is my first question, why even have a dog if you don't let it in the house. Can't understand why animal control won't do something about this, but I'm going to continue pushing until something gets resolved.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:26 AM

9,198 posts, read 19,618,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustrated in FV View Post
I'm not in town limits, so wake county takes control.
Oh, then you want:

WAKE COUNTY, NORTH CAROLINA CODE OF ORDINANCES

91.08 ANIMALS CREATING NUISANCE.

(A) It shall be unlawful for any person to own, keep, possess or maintain an animal in the manner so as to constitute a nuisance.

(B) The actions of an animal constitute a nuisance when an animal disturbs the rights of, threatens the safety of or damages a member of the general public or interferes with the ordinary use and enjoyment of private or public property:

(1) Maintaining an animal that habitually or repeatedly disturbs, interferes with or annoys human beings;

(2) Maintaining an animal that tips over garbage pails or damages gardens, flowers or vegetables;

(3) Failing to confine in a building or secure enclosure a female dog while in estrus;

(4) Allowing or permitting an animal to bark, whine, howl or yowl in an excessive, continuous or untimely fashion, or to make other noise in the manner so as to result in a serious annoyance or interference with the reasonable use and enjoyment of neighboring premises. Any person lodging the complaint shall be responsible for pursuing available judicial remedies by filing the action with the appropriate judicial authority;

(5) Maintaining an animal that chases, snaps at, attacks or otherwise molests pedestrians, bicyclists, motor vehicle passengers or farm stock or domestic animals;

(6) Maintaining an animal that habitually or continuously loiters on public places; and

(7) Maintaining an animal that is diseased and dangerous to the health of the public unless under the care of a licensed veterinarian.

Also 92.06 ENUMERATED NOISE:

In addition to any other violation of this section, the acts enumerated below are specifically declared to be unreasonably loud, disturbing and annoying or unnecessary noise, the creation or emission of which shall be unlawful. The enumeration shall not be deemed to be exclusive:

(P) The keeping of any bird, livestock or other animal which by causing frequent or long continued noise disturbs the comfort or repose of individuals in the vicinity.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:46 AM

18,607 posts, read 7,510,270 times
My SIL ended up calling in every time the neighbor's dogs barked. She'd stand out in the back yard and attempt to have a conversation with the police dept. with the barking going on. Animal Control came out several times, the police came out several times, and finally the neighbors were issued a ticket with a fine. The dog was gone the next day.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:49 AM

That is great.. but how do I get it enforced? As I said I have had the sheriff and animal control come and speak to the owners, yet they still don't enforce this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary