Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2013, 03:11 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,094,205 times

Advertisements

I have a very old web-based business that has a web database and needs updating. It is in ASP.

I need to get a few reasonable quotes from programmers who can update the site in a database programming language that will be around for a while. I used to think that was PHP, but there seems to be more options now and more-popular languages out there.

If I can successfully obtain funding, I will hire the programmer with the best quote and who is qualified.

I've used RentACoder.com for some projects in the past, but I really prefer dealing with someone locally.

Anyone have any ideas? This, of course, would be something someone would do on a part-time basis, and it's for a very small business -- it's just me.

Thanks for any suggestions and feel free to PM me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 04:46 PM

25 posts, read 30,880 times
I think you are confusing some technology here so please be careful that someone does not try to take advantage of that. Your current ASP platform is the web app and the database (whatever platform it happens to be using) is independent of that.

ASP (classic) is quite dated however if your app is in ASP.NET by chance then your path to current technology is short and ASP.NET (currently at 4.5 but in general backward compatible) is a very capable platform that a qualified developer could update to current controls and features to your liking without starting from scratch.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:46 PM

Oh, I know nothing about database programming. So I appreciate that.

My app is not ASP.NET unfortunately. It is ancient. So what kind of DB programmer should I be looking for? I believe it will probably need to be built from scratch.

Isn't PHP a DB programming language? Where does MySQL fall into all of this? And Python?

I appreciate any help.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:39 PM

25 posts, read 30,880 times
Your database is more than likely going to be SQL Server (Microsoft) or MySQL currently.. being that your app was developed in ASP which is a Microsoft technology I would guess it would be SQL Server (unless it is very basic and using an Access database sitting in the file system) but it could be one of many possibilities.

PHP, Python along with many others are your server side programming language that interacts with the user through the browser and communicates with whatever database platform is in use (reads,writes,updates data within that database which is a separate product). Which is best for your project depends on the details of the project and possibly more importantly opinion of whoever you contract with. You are probably more likely to find a more budget friendly quote from someone working in PHP or Python with MySQL (or any of the open source platforms) then you would from someone working with ASP.NET and SQL Server (along with cheaper associated ongoing costs).

I am very new to the area (two weeks) so I really do not know the easiest way to reach that talent in this area but I would have to think there would be a LOT of people who did side work such as this with the high concentration of people working in the tech world.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinr View Post
Your database is more than likely going to be SQL Server (Microsoft) or MySQL currently.. being that your app was developed in ASP which is a Microsoft technology I would guess it would be SQL Server (unless it is very basic and using an Access database sitting in the file system) but it could be one of many possibilities.

PHP, Python along with many others are your server side programming language that interacts with the user through the browser and communicates with whatever database platform is in use (reads,writes,updates data within that database which is a separate product). Which is best for your project depends on the details of the project and possibly more importantly opinion of whoever you contract with. You are probably more likely to find a more budget friendly quote from someone working in PHP or Python with MySQL (or any of the open source platforms) then you would from someone working with ASP.NET and SQL Server (along with cheaper associated ongoing costs).

I am very new to the area (two weeks) so I really do not know the easiest way to reach that talent in this area but I would have to think there would be a LOT of people who did side work such as this with the high concentration of people working in the tech world.
Thank you! I appreciate it. And I hope I can find quotes and the right person. I've worked in a lot of IT departments (and I am now), but the developers I know have other areas of expertise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary