Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 11:41 AM

167 posts, read 302,967 times

Advertisements

WOW maybe I should return to work I retired Early education. I would not pay over 200.00 a week for a 9-10 day for one child .Light housekeeping 250.00. Yes must have CPR/bk check /exp/ car/ car ins !. I would not paid for health Ins/,Why
I guess my daughter and family are blessed I am worth more!. (I get the kids ready for school/ cook/clean/shop/pick up do HW/all after school activivtes/I do live in Mon-FRi) Been doing this for 7 yr now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 02:31 AM

9 posts, read 22,492 times
We have been hosting an AuPair from South Africa for 18 months now and it has been a great experience. you do not have to worry about your nanny calling in sick, taking a new job ect. The aupair is under contract for at least a year. You also have the flexibility of someone being home with the kids at night if you want night out.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:47 AM

286 posts, read 683,655 times
I'm having twins, due in January and daycare will cost us more than a nanny. I'm using care.com and having some really GREAT nanny candidates contacting me for the job already. And the job won't start until March! The range of experience goes from college student who has been a daycare worker, to college graduate with a psychology degree, to a Wake county school teacher who wants a placement that will allow her to bring her own daughter to cut her child care costs. I can't stay home this go round due to circumstances but a huge chunk of my pay will be going towards a nanny. I'm just glad there are options out there for me. I almost peed my pants when I called daycares to get pricing.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:32 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,125,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaican4life68 View Post
We have been hosting an AuPair from South Africa for 18 months now and it has been a great experience. you do not have to worry about your nanny calling in sick, taking a new job ect. The aupair is under contract for at least a year. You also have the flexibility of someone being home with the kids at night if you want night out.
How much do you pay the agency for the au pair? When I've looked into this none of the companies seem very transparent with the total costs.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:36 AM

2,904 posts, read 5,903,789 times
Even the most expensive child care in town at a center is like $12-13k/year. That's by no means cheap but it's way cheaper than a full time nanny or au pair. We struggled with nannies but eventually decided to try daycare/preschool and it has been the best decision in so many ways I can't begin to explain. My daughter loves it, we love it (except having to leave the house when we have no other reason to do so, as we both work at home) and everyone is happy. She gets the socialization and learning she needs and learns how to be part of a group. I would never go back to the nanny situation knowing what I know now.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:10 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,782,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
How much do you pay the agency for the au pair? When I've looked into this none of the companies seem very transparent with the total costs.
We're looking into getting another one now and the agency fee alone is $7800 or so. The total cost ends up looking like $17.5k-$18k a year. It still beats having two in daycare for me, so I think we'll do it... but that is a hefty fee for the agency.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:47 AM

Yikes yeah that is a lot! I can understand it since they facilitate the visa, not a cheap process at all, and have to provide health insurance and what not, but that's still a big chunk of change.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:49 AM

1,372 posts, read 2,090,934 times
Yes - most au pair agencies charge about $7-8K but you do get a repeat family discount usually. I think the breakdown is that you are paying about $300/week for childcare (regardless of how many kids you have) when you factor in the agency fee, the stipend to the au pair etc. It makes good financial sense if you have multiples or even more than one child. I was paying $212/week for my son to be in daycare and that was just one child, and he was 4/5..

Old 08-01-2013, 06:52 AM

I honestly have no idea how people with multiple children afford daycare centers. It seems like it would always be cheaper to go with some sort of nanny setup in that situation.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:37 AM

286 posts, read 683,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
I honestly have no idea how people with multiple children afford daycare centers. It seems like it would always be cheaper to go with some sort of nanny setup in that situation.

Yes, that is what we are facing with twins on the way. Today we tour day care centers to see if the increased cost is worth it. There are some great pros with using a day care center. However, I am strongly leaning towards a nanny. She'll be a few hundred dollars cheaper each month and is likely to be more flexible with hours for any late meetings I have. I have about 20 qualified nanny candidates already emailing me with resumes. The pay range seems to be $15-$20 an hour for two kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary