Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 02:07 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times

Advertisements

Yup. Guv Club is not in the CHCCS district. Snakes don't discriminate about gated vs non-gated anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 02:12 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
It's in Chatham County. Not part of Chapel Hill or Chapel-Hill Carrboro City Schools district.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Yup. Guv Club is not in the CHCCS district. Snakes don't discriminate about gated vs non-gated anyway.
I just learned something..looked at the chatham county map and had no idea that it reached that far north & east..

Old 04-16-2013, 02:26 PM

650 posts, read 929,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I WISH that I had more snakes. They could eat all of the voles that are destroying my rose bushes
Yup, typically bird lovers have bird seed. The bird seed attracts mice. Mice attract snakes. I had a black snake in my garage last week. I think he was after the dead mouse I had in a mouse trap.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:41 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
CHTransplant is our resident snake joker. That or else he surely does have alot of snakes in his toilet.

The first spring we were here I put out a black plastic type carpet at the black door. I walked out one day barefoot and realized the carpet had a bad ripple in it where it had gotten scrunched up. I kicked and stomped at the wrinkle and it slowly slithered away. Imagine my surprise. he was simply sunning himself and blended right in. I'm a gardener and I see all sorts of snakes almost every week. Doesn't bother me. I hate the deer more than I fear the snakes.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:45 PM

Funny story from Atlanta. Once a very popular disc jockey who lived way high up in a high rise condominium leaned over one morning to reach for his imported skin belt and when he tried to put it through the loops it turned out to be a snake. Nobody ever claimed responsibility and nobody ever knew how it got in his apartment. They can climb straight up on the side of houses you know???

https://www.google.com/search?q=pict...iw=775&bih=384

In fact last year on the front page of the Chapel Hill paper someone submitted a picture of a black snake climbing up her front door reaching for the door bell so be careful when you open the door.......

Old 04-16-2013, 07:36 PM

60 posts, read 188,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
CHTransplant is our resident snake joker. That or else he surely does have alot of snakes in his toilet.

The first spring we were here I put out a black plastic type carpet at the black door. I walked out one day barefoot and realized the carpet had a bad ripple in it where it had gotten scrunched up. I kicked and stomped at the wrinkle and it slowly slithered away. Imagine my surprise. he was simply sunning himself and blended right in. I'm a gardener and I see all sorts of snakes almost every week. Doesn't bother me. I hate the deer more than I fear the snakes.
Tell me, Kudzu, other posters say there are copperheads in the yards in your area. Aren't copperheads posinous or am I mistaken on that. Also is it against the law to kill them if they refuse to stay away?

Old 04-16-2013, 07:56 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Yes, copperheads are pit vipers and are venomous. Their bites are rarely fatal, but they do pack a very powerful punch and usually require hospitalization. According to NC State's CES pages, NC has the dubious distinction of leading the country in venomous snake bites. There are also rattlesnakes (eastern diamondback, timber and/or canebrake, and pygmy), coral snakes, and cottonmouths (water moccasins) in NC, but the copperhead is the only venomous snake we see frequently in the Triangle.

NC has far more non-venomous snakes, though, and the venomous ones don't want trouble — they're not on the prowl for human flesh or anything.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:00 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac811 View Post
Aren't copperheads posinous or am I mistaken on that. Also is it against the law to kill them if they refuse to stay away?
Ha..now you have opened a can of worms..Kill or not kill..

Old 04-16-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac811 View Post
. Also is it against the law to kill them if they refuse to stay away?
You have to give them a warning shot first.

Really don't worry about it. Apparently the problem isn't so bad to keep folks away. N.C. is a very buggy and pest infested state but that comes with lots of natural beauty which is way more enjoyable than snakes are a problem. You learn to deal with it.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:24 AM

18 posts, read 38,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
If you are very careful about not giving out the gate security code
hahaha. I will try not to give out the passcode

What I was implying was that perhaps houses with smaller lots where not too many tress and grass cut very short, might not have too many snakes lurking around..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary