Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 08:28 AM

9,126 posts, read 14,671,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
In my experience, renters aren't going to be given much respect by owners. While they might cut each other a little slack, they often get very strict in enforcing rules against renters.
And in my experience, renters often do not care about following neighborhood norms or keeping the property up or mowing the lawn prior to it getting 18 inches tall because they have the mentality that "we are only heare temporarily". Of course not all renters are that way and not all homeowners treat renters like that, but the stereotype didn't spring out of nowhere. The best way to avoid this stuff is for everyone to act respectfully to each other and try to see why they might have the position they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 09:05 AM

51,587 posts, read 25,515,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
In my experience, renters aren't going to be given much respect by owners. While they might cut each other a little slack, they often get very strict in enforcing rules against renters.
The process of enforcing HOA rules usually starts with someone from the board stopping by to talk about the problem and many times it's resolved right there. If that doesn't work, a letter referencing the rule that applies is sent. If it's still unresolved, then a letter from the attorney and often a fine and so on. Most of the time things are worked out at the chatting step with homeowners.

Often not so with renters. Often, they insist they've got their rights and continue doing whatever they want.

People don't seem to realize that an HOA is different than an apartment complex. Apt. managers enforce rules to protect the property. They could care less how the neighbors get along. Tenants come and they go. As long as it doesn't result in people not paying the rent or the property being damaged, they stay out of it.

Not so with HOA's. People stay for years, the rules are made by the homeowners not the the managers and the goal is often to make the place a more pleasant place to live.

Those who don't care for abiding by busybody rules would be wise to avoid HOA's.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:06 AM

Is it considered usual and customary for apartment complexes to allow children to play in the parking lots?

Old 04-20-2013, 09:17 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,015,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Is it considered usual and customary for apartment complexes to allow children to play in the parking lots?
It's been very common in the apartments I've lived in here. I'm sure they could make a rule about it, but they were both complexes with many families, and the kids were always running around in the parking lots, though they were usually older, middle school age kids.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:26 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,645,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
The process of enforcing HOA rules usually starts with someone from the board stopping by to talk about the problem and many times it's resolved right there. If that doesn't work, a letter referencing the rule that applies is sent. If it's still unresolved, then a letter from the attorney and often a fine and so on. Most of the time things are worked out at the chatting step with homeowners.
It has not yet been established that there is a rule against playing in the street.

Further complicating the issue is who owns the roads? Most likely the city/town owns and maintains the roads, therefore the HOA cannot outlaw anything as it is beyond their reach.

Just went through this with my HOA (not me personally but another resident). HOA has written rules that you are not allowed to park on the street. Problem is the town owns the streets. Push came to shove, resident got a lawyer to fight back and lo and behold the HOA can write all the rules they want but they cannot enforce rules on something they do not own.

Therefore the OP should check the covenants and see if the HOA prez was speaking from personal opinion or if there was something to back it up. If there is a rule against it the next step is to see if the HOA owns and maintains the roads.

Regardless of the "news to me crowd" on here there are people who use the roads paid for by their taxes for legal reasons other than driving. Like I said earlier, I've never seen anything like the mentality expressed here so don't let it deter you from your rights as a taxpayer and as a dues payer (via the landlord).

Old 04-20-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE View Post
It has not yet been established that there is a rule against playing in the street.

Further complicating the issue is who owns the roads? Most likely the city/town owns and maintains the roads, therefore the HOA cannot outlaw anything as it is beyond their reach.
Most likely the HOA owns the streets that serve only their townhome parking areas. City streets are generally streets that any citizen would be traveling on. Cities typically don't pay to install and maintain roads that are for the private use of a few citizens. Worth checking out.
Also worth checking out the rules. If the rules say nothing about kids playing in the street, then the tenant can tell them to go spit up a rope, they'll do whatever they darn well please.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:11 AM

Just heard a Harley go by and got to wondering what OP's thoughts would be if a neighboring townhouse was rented by a group of outlaw bikers, who revved their engines all hours of the night and day, and told the neighbors to stuff it if they complained, that there were no rules against revving their engines.

Not an exact comparison, I know. But still speaks to neighbors being respectful of each other, rules or no rules.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:55 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,033,181 times
There actually are noise ordinances against continuously revving motorcycle engines.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
There actually are noise ordinances against continuously revving motorcycle engines.
How do they measure it?

I assume it has to be going on when the police arrive, correct?

We lived next to some bikers years ago. Seemed they always revved a couple times just before they turned it off. Most annoying. Is there a legal limit the number of times you can bring a Harley to a halt?

Old 04-20-2013, 01:28 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,033,181 times
Just like the ordinances against barking dogs, people record it I guess. I only know they are there since DH owns and often works on a motorcycle and he always looks up the ordinances wherever we live.
It's legal to do it a couple of times before driving off, but with dogs i think it has to be fairly continuous for 30 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary