Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 12:50 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,453,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisaga View Post
Here is my problem about kids playing in the streets of our neighborhood, they aren't just innocently playing basketball in the street and moving out of the way when cars approach. These kids drag a basketball goal out to the edge of their driveway and then use the entire road to play. When cars approach, they stand in the way and stare at you like "what are you going to do, make me move"? The parents are nowhere to be found. There are no fewer than 20 kids that hang out on the street in front of our house. Since they started doing this, we find trash tossed in our yards from their snack bags of chips and soda cans, apple cores and even had a banana peel thrown on our car. I come home from work to find their bicycles abandoned right in our driveway so I can't even pull in. We routinely hear their basketball hit our car and when we look out the door all we see are kids running away; I have one dent in my car so far from this.
Modern parenting at it's finest. The problem is, kids who have been parented well don't need parental supervision all the time. They KNOW not to do these things, even if mom is inside cooking dinner, because they've been taught. The problem isn't kids not playing in the roads or parents not watching them, it's parents not parenting. These kids with entitled attitudes that destroy other people's property won't magically quit when they reach adulthood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 01:02 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,855,491 times
Wow, glad we don't have that problem in our neighborhood.

I think the bigger problem is adults driving through the neighborhood at 50 mph. Yes, you will get home 10 seconds sooner to be able to plop yourself on your recliner.

I have never even thought twice about kids playing on a non-thoroughfare street in a neighborhood. If anything, i feel that it provides a better sense of community. Now, if kids are misbehaving and damaging property, that is another story, but I think these claims are overblown.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:01 PM

34,935 posts, read 36,065,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linnysol View Post
I was only commenting on the sign and its purpose...but thanks for adding your opinion on the house and lot!
Oh, I know why people put them out. Maybe I'm an anomaly, but I don't need a sign to tell me kids might be playing in a family neighborhood.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Wow, glad we don't have that problem in our neighborhood.

I think the bigger problem is adults driving through the neighborhood at 50 mph. Yes, you will get home 10 seconds sooner to be able to plop yourself on your recliner.

I have never even thought twice about kids playing on a non-thoroughfare street in a neighborhood. If anything, i feel that it provides a better sense of community. Now, if kids are misbehaving and damaging property, that is another story, but I think these claims are overblown.
I agree with you. We have one neighbor that's a menace in a minivan.

I don't mind kids playing as long as they seem attentive and willing to move out of the way to let cars pass.

Well except for that little rock-wielding hooligan.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:07 PM

25 posts, read 41,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linnysol View Post
Meh_whatever.....What point are you trying to make by reving your motor?.... There are A LOT of construction trucks going in and out of Copperleaf -trucks that aren't always thinking things like 'maybe a kid might run out and get a runaway ball in the street.' Kids are playing in their yards and driveways and riding bikes along the street and neighborhood trails. The sign you are referring to is a visual reminder to everyone to drive carefully (in case playing "spills over" into the street via bike riding to a friends house or to get a runaway ball). It's not a matter of letting kids play in the street unsupervised.
What are you doing driving in a private neighborhood where you decided not to buy. You've commented on this before. Seems like you're a frequent visitor trying to hassle little kids and people who live there.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova123 View Post
What are you doing driving in a private neighborhood where you decided not to buy. You've commented on this before. Seems like you're a frequent visitor trying to hassle little kids and people who live there.
You're new here, right?

We spent a couple of years considering various neighborhoods before we chose a home.

While we were under contract, the sellers were having problems clearing up a mountain of debt that kept us in limbo for months.

We just moved into our new home in April.

We got to see a lot of neighborhoods we liked being built up. We got remodel ideas from homes that were being built.

Now and then, we like to look at new places. We're still considering some remodel/addition ideas for our new home.

I'm also a fan of checking out homes where I like the landscaping.

It's not a private neighborhood. It's not gated. Any damned human in town can walk through it, drive through it, etc.

I'm not trying to cause trouble. I was kidding around.

Sheesh. Lighten up.

If I hop the gate over at Hills of Rosemont, then you can curse me out.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:41 PM

247 posts, read 450,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
There's this house in Copperleaf where the owners have permanently erected a "Slow Kids" standee out by the end of their driveway.

I laugh every time I see it. What happened to parents minding their kids?

It sorta makes me wish I drove a V-8, just so I could rev my engine out by their driveway.
A previous neighbor of mine had a sign like that. they were the worst speeders in their cars and atvs.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:01 PM

25 posts, read 41,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
You're new here, right?

We spent a couple of years considering various neighborhoods before we chose a home.

While we were under contract, the sellers were having problems clearing up a mountain of debt that kept us in limbo for months.

We just moved into our new home in April.

We got to see a lot of neighborhoods we liked being built up. We got remodel ideas from homes that were being built.

Now and then, we like to look at new places. We're still considering some remodel/addition ideas for our new home.

I'm also a fan of checking out homes where I like the landscaping.

It's not a private neighborhood. It's not gated. Any damned human in town can walk through it, drive through it, etc.

I'm not trying to cause trouble. I was kidding around.

Sheesh. Lighten up.

If I hop the gate over at Hills of Rosemont, then you can curse me out.
Imagine if everyone thought like you, there would be cars buzzing around neighborhood streets all the time. What I mean by a private neighborhood is that if it's a closed street with private residences, why would anyone who has no business drive around there. I remember driving in neighborhoods when we were looking at houses, but we were there for a purpose and were always extremely careful and sensitive to the people who lived there.

If you need design ideas why don't you hire a consultant.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:30 PM

4,292 posts, read 5,939,826 times
Quote:
Imagine if everyone thought like you, there would be cars buzzing around neighborhood streets all the time. What I mean by a private neighborhood is that if it's a closed street with private residences, why would anyone who has no business drive around there. I remember driving in neighborhoods when we were looking at houses, but we were there for a purpose and were always extremely careful and sensitive to the people who lived there.

If you need design ideas why don't you hire a consultant.
She did have business...checking out the houses.

It's a public street. What's the problem?

If I'm gunning my motorcycle up and down the road outside of their houses, sure, but just driving by?

Old 07-19-2013, 03:40 PM

7,809 posts, read 4,516,786 times
Quote:
...if it's a closed street with private residences, why would anyone who has no business drive around there.
Returning from a trip to the 7-11 for Skittles and ice tea?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary