Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 06:59 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,527,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
You lived here 10 years ago, you said - and I don't know if you lived in Durham near downtown, but it's exploded even within the last year and has completely changed since I moved here in 2007. Not trying to argue, but it has very much changed.
Definitely! I used to live in Durham and was there just a few days ago. I love the changes and could not get around without GPS! We actually are planning to move back in about a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 08:08 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
Definitely! I used to live in Durham and was there just a few days ago. I love the changes and could not get around without GPS! We actually are planning to move back in about a year.
Me too, I actually wish I'd moved downtown...

Having said that - nowhere in the triangle is my dream location - it's a strategic location for now. :-/

Old 04-22-2013, 10:07 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,230 times
LB's post on Durham is right up the alley from my experience. I know people who do this sort of thing routinely, who have gone to one car to two, who send their kids to Watts or DSA and walk them there, etc.

LB is also spot-on on schools -- no options for public middle school and beyond other than DSA which does involve a lottery. Immaculata is a Catholic school in walking distance of some near downtown neighborhoods but might not be what you are looking for.

I was surprised by the immediate assumption by many that what you are looking to do is impossible. I think that probably reflects the fact that a significant majority of people living here live in suburbs, are relatively car-dependent for shopping/commuting, etc. However, the cores of Durham, Chapel Hill/Carrboro and Raleigh all have very doable options.

Knowing Durham best, to look for a house in your price range I would look at the eastern part of Trinity Park (on Duke St. or east of it to the Ellerbe Creek trail). It's further from downtown than the south portions of the neighborhood. OTOH, on streets like Woodlawn, Ruffin, Knox, Green, Englewood you may find houses for sale at or below $200k. Old North Durham, Duke Park and Northgate Park get you farther from Duke and its surroundings (Whole Foods, Harris Teeter, etc.) but are about the same distance to the core of downtown. All are well-served by transit and the Ellerbe Creek trail/greenway. That trail does run just east of Duke St. and would be convenient for bike access to downtown.

I cannot imagine living in Durham with no car, although CH/C may be possible for that. One car living is very doable if you can commit yourself to the tradeoffs. Being near downtowns will also make a bike to the bus station/local or regional bus transit commute doable.

This is a wonderful area and my wife and I chose our neighborhood to be in walking/biking distance of things. You just need to know where to look!

Old 04-22-2013, 10:39 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
I don't think it's impossible. I just think this isn't really an ideal area to match all the OP's needs. Why try to cram a square peg into a round hole if you don't HAVE to?

If OP had said they HAD to move here and wanted to know the best places to look to achieve most of her requirements, my response would have been different.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:09 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by discodiva View Post
We are thinking of moving to NC. We currently live in South Florida and while we love the weather, we do not like the traffic, the high cost of living, the lack of a true downtown and the materialism. We previously lived in Brooklyn and downtown Portland, both of which suit us well except for the harsh winters. Our "details" are as follows:

1. Two kids- 4 and 10. The 10 year old goes to a gifted school. Good schools are a priority.
2. I am a stay at home mom. My partner works as a Director of IT. We would prefer to find the right location first and work a job around that. We have done the reverse before and regretted it.
3. We want to be urban. Downtown. Walk to schools, cafes, daycare, grocery, etc. We had all that in both NY and Portland and we miss that in Florida.
4. We bike/bike commute daily. We intend to sell our second car.
5. We have a slight preference in buying over renting.
6. We'd prefer to be close to an Athletic Club (that has open admissions- the one in Portland does not) but would also be happy with a YMCA or other large family recreation center.

Is this even possible? What areas would you suggest? How much are we looking at to buy a 1,000-1,200 sq. ft. 3 bedroom townhouse or single family?

Thanks so much for any help.
I can do all these things in my neighborhood save the bike commute and I live a 15-minute drive from downtown Raleigh. Our 1400-sqft house was $165k for comparison.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:13 AM

924 posts, read 2,103,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
I was surprised by the immediate assumption by many that what you are looking to do is impossible.
You new here?

Old 04-22-2013, 11:37 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,620,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Why try to cram a square peg into a round hole if you don't HAVE to?

If OP had said they HAD to move here and wanted to know the best places to look to achieve most of her requirements, my response would have been different.
Exactly. If you have the freedom to move anywhere in the country based on specific parameters, wouldn't you want the best fit?

I know people love the Triangle, and love downtown Durham, and love downtown Raleigh. But "big city living" it ain't.

I can look at it from my own perspective - I became vegan after moving to Raleigh. While I can 'survive' here as vegan, I wouldn't recommend this area to anyone who has that at the top of their "must have" list. If they get offered a job here, or a spouse transfers here, sure it's doable. We have scattered vegan friendly restaurants, and even a couple 100% vegetarian ones. But to be primarily looking for a "vegan friendly" place to live? Heck no!

Old 04-22-2013, 11:41 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
When the kids were young we kept them in a beautiful rural setting. It was best for them.. Now that they are adults we all live in the core of a major city. Childhood deserves natural beauty. If my kids had have been raised in an urban setting they would have discovered all the vices that urbanity has to offer - a little too early.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:43 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,620,809 times
Oh, and I'd add something else to the mix.. public transportation. If I was looking for an urban setting where you could live with one or zero cars, I'd definitely find a place that has good public transportation. And no, a few bus lines here or there is not what I'm talking about. I commuted in DC via Metro for quite a few years.. that's good public transportation!

Old 04-22-2013, 11:46 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,476,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I don't think it's impossible. I just think this isn't really an ideal area to match all the OP's needs. Why try to cram a square peg into a round hole if you don't HAVE to?

yes, but the Op also said they are trying to escape traffic and high cost of living. While the Triangle might not be exactly what they're looking for, it may be the closest thing if they can find just the right house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary