Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 02:26 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
The one thing that really sucks about DT Raleigh is the lack of grocery stores...don't know how that is in DT Durham.
And the fact the many downtown Raleigh children are bused to the burbs for school, so you may live in walking distance of the school, but you may not be assigned to it.
I'm with you.

I think a person could carve out something like parts of what the OP asked for, but this thread reminds me of the guy who wanted to bike from Chapel Hill to Capital Blvd.

Could you do it? Yes. Does it make ANY sense?

NO.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:20 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
I find this thread absolutely hilarious that most posters in here are recommending DT Durham vs DT Raleigh when DT Raleigh is much larger and accessable by bike, foot, or the R-Line...! I lived Dowtown Raleigh up until about 2 years ago and I can attest to the original poster you can do all of those things mentioned. Raleigh isn'y Brooklyn, but it still has areas of urban activity. Let's be serious here people...
I didn't mean to leave it out - I just don't know it well! From what I've seen it seems like it.

Nobody is saying these areas are JUST LIKE Portland. The OP is well aware that she won't be living in Portland. But for some to say that it's all spread out suburbia and nothing like it can be found isn't necessarily true - the OP would have to check things out for herself and see if it has the vibe she wants or not. Certainly she's not going to find it in the southpoint area of Durham, in Cary, in Morrisville, but not all of the area is like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 12:27 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,674,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I didn't mean to leave it out - I just don't know it well! From what I've seen it seems like it.

Nobody is saying these areas are JUST LIKE Portland. The OP is well aware that she won't be living in Portland. But for some to say that it's all spread out suburbia and nothing like it can be found isn't necessarily true - the OP would have to check things out for herself and see if it has the vibe she wants or not. Certainly she's not going to find it in the southpoint area of Durham, in Cary, in Morrisville, but not all of the area is like that.
That's my thoughts exactly. When I travel to downtown Raleigh, suburbia is not the first thought that springs to mind. DT Raleigh has become a lively and livable area. When I think about downtown in it's entirety CBD,Warhouse District,Glenwood South and Hillsborough St, I think of a lively up and coming downtown that has pretty good night life punch for a city it's size. None of these areas have anything to do with suburbia, so why are we talking about Raleigh's suburbs?

Old 04-25-2013, 02:48 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I'm with you.

I think a person could carve out something like parts of what the OP asked for, but this thread reminds me of the guy who wanted to bike from Chapel Hill to Capital Blvd.

NO.
But the title of the thread is "Is this possible?", so to me the answer is "it could be done" and it's up to the OP to see if it would work for them.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:38 PM

924 posts, read 2,102,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I'm with you.

NO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
But the title of the thread is "Is this possible?", so to me the answer is "it could be done" and it's up to the OP to see if it would work for them.
Yeah, and moreover, the comparison that meh_whatever made is pretty flatly absurd. The Triangle area in general is plainly not obviously a particularly easy, natural fit for the kind of lifestyle that discodiva described, but to compare the challenge of that to attempting a daily bicycle commute between Chapel Hill and Capital Boulevard is outrageously unfair and inaccurate. (The thread to which I supposed meh was trying to allude was this doozy from a month or so ago: http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...l#post28656399, but of course meh's characterization also inaccurately reflects both the stated intent of the OP of that thread, and the gist of the subsequent discussion.) As has been mentioned and discussed by numerous posters throughout this thread, people in fact can and do lead lifestyles very much like what discodiva was looking for in the older, inner parts of Durham, Raleigh, Chapel Hill/Carrboro, and possibly even other parts of the Triangle region as well. So, demonstrably, not only could a person pursue that sort of lifestyle in the Triangle, it actually makes perfect sense to plenty of people, even if it fails to make ANY sense to meh_whatever.

Once again, none of this is to say that that sort of lifestyle is a breeze everywhere in the region, and clearly it isn't for everyone. And just as clearly, this area is not (at least for now) remotely close to places like Brooklyn or Portland in terms of being conducive to that lifestyle. So, a person probably will have to make at least some compromise at some point to achieve that sort of lifestyle in the triangle, especially since discodiva's price range and need for three bedrooms are definitely not ideal for that situation. But to dismiss it as senseless and as foolhardy as a 75-mile round-trip daily bike commute mostly on inhospitable highways is preposterous, in my opinion.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:23 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,525,630 times
The comparison meh made seems reasonable to me because the "walkability" of downtown Raleigh or other places in the Triangle is vastly different than the "walkability" of Portland. A person can live next door to a stripmall and have "walkability", but is that really what people are looking for? She may be, but it is important for info to contrast/compare in an accurate way so that she is able to make an informed decision.

Additionally, people can come to unreasonable conclusions about the feasibility of a bike commute based on a map. It is difficult to understand an area from a distance, so all of this info is important.

Last edited by west seattle gal; 04-25-2013 at 04:32 PM..

Old 04-25-2013, 04:35 PM

Deleting post, not my battle

Old 04-25-2013, 07:52 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
I think the new pedestrian/bike bridge they're putting over I-40 might be relevant to this thread. For folks that want to live as car free as possible this opens up more options. American Tobacco Trail's I-40 Pedestrian Bridge Goes Up This Weekend | WUNC

Old 04-25-2013, 10:35 PM

The trails and greenways through Durham, Orange, and Wake Counties are absolutely awesome! Loved reading the link. The Triangle is becoming a more exciting place to live, in my opinion, as transplants introduce new ideas and demand the best cultural features and urban amenities of their hometowns.

And also from your link:

http://wunc.org/post/raleigh-planner...e-capital-city

Last edited by west seattle gal; 04-25-2013 at 10:43 PM..

Old 04-26-2013, 11:45 AM

1,211 posts, read 2,674,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
The trails and greenways through Durham, Orange, and Wake Counties are absolutely awesome! Loved reading the link. The Triangle is becoming a more exciting place to live, in my opinion, as transplants introduce new ideas and demand the best cultural features and urban amenities of their hometowns.

And also from your link:

Raleigh Planners Working For A 'Walkable' Capital City | WUNC
Thanks for the info. There is definitely some misinfo in this thread. You can live that lifestyle in all three cities, with Raleigh being the most cosmopolitan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary