U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-22-2013, 06:41 AM
 
809 posts, read 2,276,567 times
Reputation: 462

Advertisements

Just built 3 raised stone beds for planting and need to populate them with soil. American Soil & Mulch in Cary has a compost-blend soil ($25 cu yard) and another without compost mix ($17 cu yard). My question is this, is it necessary or better to buy the compost blend for $8 per cu yard more as opposed to just buying a few bags of fertilizer .... or would the compost blend be too potent for planting Ligustrum and Arborvitae. I know there are a lot of members here in the Triangle that are pretty experienced at this planting stuff so I would appreciate your feedback and advise on this ... Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-22-2013, 07:18 AM
 
9,198 posts, read 21,163,602 times
Reputation: 8516
We have always bought a landscapers blend for soil, which include a lot of organic material. While it's great for plants, the best benefit is that it's easy to work with. Our experience with "regular" topsoil is that it clumps due to clay content.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2013, 07:27 AM
 
9,558 posts, read 26,420,027 times
Reputation: 9679
You could probably go either way when it comes to basic shrubs, but I would prefer the soil / compost blend. Easier to work with, and better soil structure to help with draining. It's nice to have good organic material mixed in with your raised beds. Makes for some great soil to work with for years to come as other mulch and dead plants break down and continue adding organic content.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2013, 07:38 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
2,535 posts, read 4,499,788 times
Reputation: 2572
I always buy by the bag to fill my beds and use a mixture of several different types of compost (wider variety of nutrients), peat moss and topsoil. The peat moss makes it lighter and easier for the roots to grow deep. Mel Bartholomew (author of Square Foot Gardening) recommends also including vermiculite or perlite. I used vermiculite once and decided it was unnecessary but you might want to try it. If you wanted to incorporate the peat moss and/or vermiculite you can have them dump the compost mix in a flat area and mix it using a large tarp, then move into the beds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2013, 07:50 AM
 
Location: Durham, NC
306 posts, read 642,361 times
Reputation: 355
You'd be best off with both the compost and the fertilizer. :-) Compost more about soil structure (as pps have mentioned) and micronutrients than "feeding" the plants. Compost feeds the soil, fertilizer feeds the plants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2013, 08:06 AM
 
423 posts, read 936,995 times
Reputation: 305
Whatever you buy be sure to mix in some of the existing soil/clay when you put dirt around the new plantings. You dont want the tree to struggle with adapting to whatever is beneath the good stuff you buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2013, 08:25 AM
 
Location: Chapelboro
9,955 posts, read 10,243,804 times
Reputation: 7879
Why are you building raised beds for trees and giant shrubs? I just usually see those planted straight in the ground. The ligustrum in particular do fine here w/o any amendments or special care. I usually see quite overgrown specimens. You know the Arbor Vitae can get very, very large depending on the variety — up to 60 ft. People use them as landscaping barriers like leland cypress, but my grandmother in the mts used to have two giant arborvitae trees at her gate that I loved to climb in as a child. You might want to doublecheck the suitability of this region for arborvitae. The maps I'm seeing online indicate that zone 7 is the warmest recommended. We're in zone 7a or 7b or 8 depending on where you're posting from. http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/01/...d-nc-just.html

Last edited by poppydog; 04-22-2013 at 08:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2013, 08:55 AM
 
809 posts, read 2,276,567 times
Reputation: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Why are you building raised beds for trees and giant shrubs? I just usually see those planted straight in the ground. The ligustrum in particular do fine here w/o any amendments or special care. I usually see quite overgrown specimens. You know the Arbor Vitae can get very, very large depending on the variety up to 60 ft. People use them as landscaping barriers like leland cypress, but my grandmother in the mts used to have two giant arborvitae trees at her gate that I loved to climb in as a child. You might want to doublecheck the suitability of this region for arborvitae. The maps I'm seeing online indicate that zone 7 is the warmest recommended. We're in zone 7a or 7b or 8 depending on where you're posting from. Warmth-loving plants find N.C. winters just right | Health & Science | NewsObserver.com
I am doing raised bed because the ground in that spot has huge harden clay that turned into stones. In addition, the surface is just hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2013, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
2,535 posts, read 4,499,788 times
Reputation: 2572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerican View Post
I am doing raised bed because the ground in that spot has huge harden clay that turned into stones. In addition, the surface is just hard.
In that case if it were me I would lay down thick layers of newspaper and wet them down really well before filling your beds. Earthworms will be attracted to the paper and even that rocky soil will get broken down over time. This will allow the plant roots to go deeper and they will be healthier for it. It will also block any weeds from growing through the soil. Even in rocky soil you can have bermuda grass grow through it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2013, 07:59 AM
 
809 posts, read 2,276,567 times
Reputation: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
In that case if it were me I would lay down thick layers of newspaper and wet them down really well before filling your beds. Earthworms will be attracted to the paper and even that rocky soil will get broken down over time. This will allow the plant roots to go deeper and they will be healthier for it. It will also block any weeds from growing through the soil. Even in rocky soil you can have bermuda grass grow through it.
I am planning on using the landscape fabric instead of the paper because I do not have much newspaper since I read my news online .... I hope that is okay too ... what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top