U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-09-2006, 04:57 PM

5 posts, read 9,026 times
We moved out to Holly Springs from California a few years ago and it has been wonderful. It is safe city and beautiful. There are lakes close by for boating and swimming. It is a friendly place with great schools and lots of other transplants looking for the same quality of life. If you like greenery sunny weather and a healthy atmosphere for kids it is tops!

We never thought we would leave California, but this is now our new home and we couldn't be happier. In Holly Springs you are only about 20 min from Raleigh half an hour from Durham. There are some great neighborhoods in Holly Springs and Fuquay. I think the neighborhood of Oliver Creek is beautiful. Very private lots and close to the new high school and elementry school and not near the new landfill. It also is between Holly Springs and Fuquay Varina. It is one of the neighborhoods that is outside the city limits but close. That means to a homeowner--no city taxes.
It is best to take a trip out to see the area and choose for yourself but I myself have found Holly Springs to be everything we were looking for safe. convenient, growing, and affordable.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2006, 08:27 PM

32 posts, read 69,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
If you want a KB neighborhood then start with their web site and find the towns in this area that they build in. There is a KB neighborhood behind ours that is to me very unimpressive starter homes BUT that is not what WE were looking for. Many people on here have talked about the Martha Stewart Kb neighborhood....is that in Morissville? Can't remember but you might want to do a search for that neighborhood. We looked at some nice homes in Morissville that were quickly eliminated once we heard the plane noise and the train noise. But really if a KB home is what you want then I would start there and expand your search as you eleminate. Just from experience we really did not get a feel for much of anything regardless of what everyone told us on here and otherwise until we came and saw first hand. We did not end up where we thought we would had we solely based our impressions on our research.
We are not committed to KB... and I am quite familiar with their website.. my problem is that they have too many subdivisions to choose from so I came on here to narrow down the cities. Also, we do own one in CA and the quality of OUR construction is top notch. We haven't had one problem and that's more than I can say for my friends who bought from other builders...the other incentive is that they offer an incentive to repeat buyers, so we figured we'd at least put them on our consideration list.... I appreciate your help, but it seems that we are looking from two different points of view...we don't have children yet and as a young couple new to the area, we are just looking for a new place that won't crap out in value and give us a place to put our things for a few years while we get to know NC. You were obviously looking for something different--thanks for pointing that out.

Old 10-09-2006, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beffrey2 View Post
I live in Fuquay Varina. What are your questions?

I love it here!
What do you like about it and what is your commute like to NC State and to say Cary etc?

Old 10-09-2006, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaside67 View Post
We moved out to Holly Springs from California a few years ago and it has been wonderful. It is safe city and beautiful. There are lakes close by for boating and swimming. It is a friendly place with great schools and lots of other transplants looking for the same quality of life. If you like greenery sunny weather and a healthy atmosphere for kids it is tops!

We never thought we would leave California, but this is now our new home and we couldn't be happier. In Holly Springs you are only about 20 min from Raleigh half an hour from Durham. There are some great neighborhoods in Holly Springs and Fuquay. I think the neighborhood of Oliver Creek is beautiful. Very private lots and close to the new high school and elementry school and not near the new landfill. It also is between Holly Springs and Fuquay Varina. It is one of the neighborhoods that is outside the city limits but close. That means to a homeowner--no city taxes.
It is best to take a trip out to see the area and choose for yourself but I myself have found Holly Springs to be everything we were looking for safe. convenient, growing, and affordable.
Thank you for this information this is very helpful...
I've seen that "no city taxes" thing... what exactly does that mean? What are the pros and cons of that?

Old 10-09-2006, 08:56 PM

2,828 posts, read 7,751,896 times
Hi

I lived in holly springs and worked at nc state, and then lived in apex (close to holly springs) and did the same commute. It was about 25 minutes on an average day, some days were worse, some were better. Getting to Cary, it depends on which area of cary you are going to. Places like SAS (on harrison ave) would take a bit longer.

The no city taxes, means you are just going to pay wake county tax. If you live in the city then they add the city tax with the county tax and you pay that amount. For example, we are in the county and pay .68 per 100 dollars of value of our home (and land), and my sister lives in the city limits of wake forest (6 miles from us) and pays 1.14 per 100 dollars of value. The tax value of the homes are assessed every 8 years, but can have a vertical assesment (across the board) every 4 years. The assessed values of most homes are much less than the amount the purchaser paid.

Hopefully this has helped a little bit! I know a number of people who work at nc state live in garner and they really like it, it is an easy commute to NC state, but not a great of a commute to cary.

Anyhow, pm me and I can give you more information. I get a little tired of getting flamed on the site for posting my opinions about different cities!

Leigh

Old 10-09-2006, 10:08 PM

229 posts, read 739,996 times
I've read through the different threads regading the different home communities. Holly Springs is a great town and there are still a lot of great values in the area. I've shown property in a number of subdivisions in all price ranges. Some of the communities that my clients like from the West include Wescott, Sunset Ridge, and others. There are a couple of KB Home neighborhoods and one in Fuquay Varina just outside of Holly Springs.

If you are coming from Orange County you are probably going to be interested in civilization(my sister lived there for a long time) so neighborhoods that are too far out may be a problem for you. My two cents.

Old 10-10-2006, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy_Santrock View Post

If you are coming from Orange County you are probably going to be interested in civilization(my sister lived there for a long time) so neighborhoods that are too far out may be a problem for you. My two cents.
Actually, we hate CA and we've become big homebodies because of the "civilization" here. No one knows anyone anymore and no one is friendly here (in CA). We are looking for a more laid-back place with green hills, friendly people and peace...

Old 10-10-2006, 08:29 AM

59 posts, read 163,255 times
Question Question on No City Taxes

doesn't "no city taxes" usually mean you rely on well water water and have a septic tank on your property for sewage ? just ccurious

Old 10-10-2006, 10:19 AM

That's what I wanted to know!! Pros/Cons of that...
will someone confirm the septic tank thing?

Old 10-10-2006, 10:23 AM

1,464 posts, read 4,827,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by From CA to NC View Post
We are not committed to KB... and I am quite familiar with their website.. my problem is that they have too many subdivisions to choose from so I came on here to narrow down the cities. Also, we do own one in CA and the quality of OUR construction is top notch. We haven't had one problem and that's more than I can say for my friends who bought from other builders...the other incentive is that they offer an incentive to repeat buyers, so we figured we'd at least put them on our consideration list.... I appreciate your help, but it seems that we are looking from two different points of view...we don't have children yet and as a young couple new to the area, we are just looking for a new place that won't crap out in value and give us a place to put our things for a few years while we get to know NC. You were obviously looking for something different--thanks for pointing that out.
My comment had nothing to do with builder quality but more to do with neighborhood quality. Since you said this is an investment (as is all real estate) all I was saying is the only KB neighborhood I have seen in Holly Springs is not well maintained. Yards look shabby, tons of cars in the streets all things that IMO are not good for resale a couple years down the line. Neighborhoods usually start at their best and either maintain that quality or go down from there, so a neighborhood that is starting out that way is pretty unlikely to suddenly be a desirable neighborhood to buy in. But like you stated there are many KB neighborhoods in the Raleigh area to choose from. Plus why not buy them again since you have had success and there is an incentive. I was trying to help you narrow it down by saying the H.S. neighborhood probably wouldn't be your best bet. But H.S. as a town is great as others have mentioned and there is a ton of building going on here. Other builders that seem to have nice neighborhoods here are New Orleans Home Builders, Lennar, K. Hovnanian. You can also look into the neighborhoods that have a variety of custom builders these builders are J.Scott/DJF/Timberline/Barnes Builders/Future Homes by Odell Thompson. We have many couples in our neighborhood and in H.S. that have no kids but overall I would wager it is very much a family oriented town. If you are more interested in a more artsy and less family oriented communities then try Caraboro and Chapel Hill. Good luck to you. As I mentioned before as soon as you make the trip out it will become very clear where you will want to be!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary