Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 12:52 AM

359 posts, read 1,838,462 times

Advertisements

woowheeee! I'll take that gray victorian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 09:06 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post
Enquiring minds want to know:

How do they detach these homes from their foundations? Do they have basements? Will they have basements/foundations where they're going?
I don't know how they detach them, or if they have basements, but they will definitely have a new foundation wherever they are going. Basements are not that common here (although they may have been more common in older homes such as these), but chances are the new foundations will at least have a crawl space.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:39 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
Default On the move ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I'm glad I got this picture yesterday. Just came in from a late lunch and noticed the house picutred above has been loaded on to a truck and moved about half a block away at this point. It is strange to see the corner it previoulsy occupied empty now. I wonder how long it has been since that earth has seen the light of day!

Old 06-26-2008, 12:09 PM

News Story about the project from today's news: Downtown Raleigh project mixes old, new homes :: WRAL.com

Video of the Story: Video

Old 08-21-2008, 09:30 PM

Thumbs up Two more on the move!

Two more homes will be "moved" this weekend (8/23/08)!

My props to the blogger at gogoraleigh for posting about this as I was totally unaware of it until I read about it there!

Old 08-22-2008, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Two more homes will be "moved" this weekend (8/23/08)!

My props to the blogger at gogoraleigh for posting about this as I was totally unaware of it until I read about it there!
I am planning to get some shots of these moving while participating in the Triangulator!

Old 08-22-2008, 07:20 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,025 times
I just checked out the website for Blount Street Commons...what an awesome development! I just wish they had some prices out there...I'm sure the historic homes that are being moved there come with an extremely high price tag!

Old 08-22-2008, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
I just checked out the website for Blount Street Commons...what an awesome development! I just wish they had some prices out there...I'm sure the historic homes that are being moved there come with an extremely high price tag!
There are a few prices on the website if you go to "Available Homes" under either the "New Homes & Homesites" (http://blountstreetcommonsraleigh.com/imgsrcportals67qgifwidth75height38/AVAILABLEHOMES/tabid/2163/Default.aspx - broken link) or "Historic Homes & Homesites" (http://blountstreetcommonsraleigh.com/imgsrcportals67qgifwidth150height38/AVAILABLEHOMES/tabid/2159/Default.aspx - broken link) sections. The Jordan House (large gray/blue Queen Anne) is going for $747,750. You can actually see the floorplans for the Jordan House and Cowper House. I don't know what I would do with a parlor, den, office, rec room and two studies! I'm sure I could figure something out, though.

Also, the site plan (http://blountstreetcommonsraleigh.com/imgsrcportals67qgifwidth110height38/SITEPLAN/tabid/2139/Default.aspx - broken link) has starting prices listed if you mouse over the different types of housing. The urban lofts, garden flats, phase II row homes, and "stacked townhomes" don't seem to have a price listed yet. Persons Corner "Urban Residences" start in the $290s and appear to be the lowest price point of those listed.

I didn't see anything definitive, but it appears that the historic homes are being sold as-is. The website has a "Remodeling Resources" page that states:

Quote:
Have you purchased an historic home or homesite at Blount Street Commons? Here is a list of recommended contractors for remodeling and new construction to aide you in the construction process.
A few of those homes were used as state government offices, and I'm sure they will need some extensive remodeling. So I guess you'll be spending a little more than the ~$750k!!

Old 08-23-2008, 09:51 PM

You can see some nice pictures from today's move here:

newsobserver.com | Aug. 23, 2008: Historic houses moved in Raleigh (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/photos/story/1190955.html - broken link)

Old 08-24-2008, 12:27 PM

513 posts, read 1,605,169 times
all they do is cut the bolts holding the sill plate to the foundation wall and up it goes. of course the just cut the sewer lines and cap it off.

i assume the new homes will not have basements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary