Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 11:49 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,406,713 times

Advertisements

Since I'm sure the forum regulars are tired of recurring best something-something threads, I thought I'd offer up the places on our short list for shopping and eating, before our trip next week. So without further ado, though I highlighted our first choice in each category...

- Shopping (North Hills R, Univ Mall CH, Brightleaf District D, Crabtree Valley Mall R, Cameron Village R)
- Mexican (Mez D, Tonali D, Dos Taquitos R, Jibarra R)
- Breakfast (Brigs C-D-R, Mama Dips CH)
- Southern (Watts Grocery D, Crook's Corner CH)
- Farmers Markets (Raleigh State 7 days, Carrboro Wed&Sat, Durham Wed & Sat)
- BBQ (The Pit R, Allen & Sons CH)
- Pizza (Bella Mia C)
- Italian (411 West CH)
- Burgers (Raleigh Times R, Buns CH)

But if you have recommendations to add/subtract, by all means.

We're planning to move to the area in the next two years, this is our second exploratory trip. So we're going to be spending a lot of time looking at neighborhoods in Raleigh/Cary/Durham/Chapel Hill. Thanks...

Last edited by Midpack; 04-29-2013 at 11:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 11:57 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
Drop University Mall - you'll be disappointed. Check out Southpoint Mall in Durham instead. (If you really need to see yet another mall.)

Old 04-29-2013, 11:58 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
I'd add Pizzareia Toro to your list. It is a new sit down place in downtown Durham. Very popular and I hear it is great. Recently had a small fire, but last I heard they are now back open.

Pizzeria Toro ? Wood Fired Pizza, Seasonal Snacks and Neighborhood Bar in Durham, NC

Do you drink coffee? These are the places I recommend depending on where you are:

Raleigh: Jubala
Durham: CocoaCinnamon
Chapel Hill: Cafe Driadde

Old 04-29-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Drop University Mall - you'll be disappointed. Check out Southpoint Mall in Durham instead. (If you really need to see yet another mall.)
To be honest, I only want to go to Southern Seasons, not Univ Mall so much. And I don't want to see any malls, by my bride does...

Old 04-29-2013, 12:00 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,730 times
I would also say add:

Duke Gardens
Duke Chapel

restaurants in downtown raleigh:

Beasley's Chicken and Honey
Busy Bee

Also in durham
revolution

And, going to the wild turkey saloon at the Angus barn is a must

Leigh

Old 04-29-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I'd add Pizzareia Toro to your list. It is a new sit down place in downtown Durham. Very popular and I hear it is great. Recently had a small fire, but last I heard they are now back open.

Pizzeria Toro ? Wood Fired Pizza, Seasonal Snacks and Neighborhood Bar in Durham, NC

Do you drink coffee? These are the places I recommend depending on where you are:

Raleigh: Jubala
Durham: CocoaCinnamon
Chapel Hill: Cafe Driadde
Just looked at Pizzeria Toro menu and it looks like a great add, thanks! We prefer very thin (Neapolitan) wood fired pizzas, not big fans of standard or thick crust pizzas.

And I should've added coffee too. Been to Caffe Driade and thought it was outstanding. Also had coffee at Open Eye Cafe, missed the appeal.

Last edited by Midpack; 04-29-2013 at 12:18 PM..

Old 04-29-2013, 12:13 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Agree about Southern Seasons. It's very cool. But the rest of the mall isn't cool at all.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:17 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,427,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Since I'm sure the forum regulars are tired of recurring best something-something threads, I thought I'd offer up the places on our short list for shopping and eating, before our trip next week. So without further ado, though I highlighted our first choice in each category...

- Shopping (North Hills R, Univ Mall CH, Brightleaf District D, Crabtree Valley Mall R, Cameron Village R)
- Breakfast (Brigs C-D-R, Mama Dips CH)
- Southern (Watts Grocery D, Crook's Corner CH)
- Farmers Markets (Raleigh State 7 days, Carrboro Wed&Sat, Durham Wed & Sat)
- BBQ (The Pit R, Allen & Sons CH)
- Pizza (Bella Mia C)
- Italian (411 West CH)
- Burgers (Raleigh Times R, Buns CH)

But if you have recommendations to add/subtract, by all means.

We're planning to move to the area in the next two years, this is our second exploratory trip. So we're going to be spending a lot of time looking at neighborhoods in Raleigh/Cary/Durham/Chapel Hill. Thanks...
For Pizza, I'd recommend Lilly's over Bella Mia and for Burgers I'd recommend Beasley's in Raleigh over Raleigh Times. Links to both:

Our Menu | Lilly's Pizza | Historic Five Points in Raleigh, NC and Downtown Durham, NC

Burgers | Chuck’s | Ashley Christensen Restaurants

Old 04-29-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
For Pizza, I'd recommend Lilly's over Bella Mia and for Burgers I'd recommend Beasley's in Raleigh over Raleigh Times. Links to both:

Our Menu | Lilly's Pizza | Historic Five Points in Raleigh, NC and Downtown Durham, NC

Burgers | Chuck’s | Ashley Christensen Restaurants
I take it you mean Chuck's not Beasley's, though both look excellent. That's the most exotic Burger menu I've ever seen. Thanks!

Old 04-29-2013, 12:27 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I was at Mez on Friday. While it is very good, it is a chic, upscale version of Mexican food. The waiters are all Americans. Try the flan for desert: it has agave and cinnamon sauce, pumpkin seed brittle trimming, and a topping of fresh cilantro. It is quite expensive. We spent $30 per person, without any liquor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary