Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 08:34 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,407,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Having moved around many times, and knowing many other families that have - I can tell you that more often than not kids adapt faster than adults no matter how they feel before the move. Whether they make new friends in the neighborhood, at school, church or wherever - they usually adapt easily despite whatever complaining may accompany the move.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAbornNClivin View Post
Not always...we moved while my brother was in middle school and he hated it here for a long time. As an adult he accepts it, but doesn't love the Raleigh area.
That's why I said more often than not...and in my experience the exceptions are not that common. I've moved a dozen times, and known many others who have as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 11:30 AM

3 posts, read 9,257 times
We lived in Dallas before the kids were born. The summers were hot and humid. And we basically stayed indoors. And the summers in Minnesota get hot and humid, with dew points in the 70's sometimes. But this winter has been exceptionally hard; it's been going on its seventh month with cold temps, rain and snow. I'm hoping that yesterday's snowfall is the last I'll see for awhile.

When you plan trips to the ocean, where do you go?

Old 07-17-2013, 02:12 PM

21 posts, read 38,404 times
For your child that loves basketball, there are some well run leagues in Raleigh. Probably the most competitive "everyone makes the team" league is the WCBA (Wake County Basketball Association) with about 16 teams. Beyond that is AAU which is essentially the WCBA All-stars. Full tryouts - full travel - highly competitive. One team for each age.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:19 PM

596 posts, read 1,240,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksg68 View Post
My husband and I are, like many others, considering moving to this area. We currently live in Minnesota and after this awful spring, I'm beginning to question my sanity for living here. Taxes are high, winters are long, summers are hot and humid and full of mosquitos. With that said, I'm still happy. I feel safe for the most part. If I'm in need of help, I have friends and family I can call. My job could pay more, but I love what I do. We don't have to relocate; but if a better opportunity arose, my husband would strongly consider it. The rest of the family, however, is split. My son is a basketball player and has dreams of attending Duke or UNC. He'd have us packed up and gone by now. My two daughters, on the other hand, wouldn't dream of leaving Minnesota.

So, if you're a transplant or a native, are you happy? Do you feel safe? Do you feel optimistic about your future? What about your children's future? Can you call on/trust on your neighbor? What makes you happy where you live?
Funny you should place this post, scroll back a few days to my post "does anyone regret moving to the Raleigh area" We have been here 6 yrs. and I have disliked living here each passing year, mainly because we have no family here and in spite of being friendly people, we have no true friends, mostly just a wave hello while passing our house, again if you would like to see all the comments check out my post with the above tittle. Best of luck, please check this area out for as long as possible before moving here, it may or may not be for you? Family and good friends are important!!

Old 07-17-2013, 07:53 PM

596 posts, read 1,240,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksg68 View Post
My husband and I are, like many others, considering moving to this area. We currently live in Minnesota and after this awful spring, I'm beginning to question my sanity for living here. Taxes are high, winters are long, summers are hot and humid and full of mosquitos. With that said, I'm still happy. I feel safe for the most part. If I'm in need of help, I have friends and family I can call. My job could pay more, but I love what I do. We don't have to relocate; but if a better opportunity arose, my husband would strongly consider it. The rest of the family, however, is split. My son is a basketball player and has dreams of attending Duke or UNC. He'd have us packed up and gone by now. My two daughters, on the other hand, wouldn't dream of leaving Minnesota.

So, if you're a transplant or a native, are you happy? Do you feel safe? Do you feel optimistic about your future? What about your children's future? Can you call on/trust on your neighbor? What makes you happy where you live?
Sorry to say the best thing about this area is the lack of traffic/congestion, other than that, unfortunately without family or good friends, I am unhappier with each passing year, no offense to this area, if you have the other elements that go along with living in this area, it can be a great place to live! Not so much for us.....trying to figure out when and where we should move to....most likely will try Central/Northern Florida, having lived in South Florida 30 years It has changed for the worse....

Old 07-18-2013, 05:37 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,028,326 times
What I love about Raleigh:
There is always, ALWAYS something to do. Sometimes you may have to look for it, but if you are bored, you just aren't trying!

There are plenty of FREE things to do! So important to my husband and I since we don't make a lot of $.

People are pretty friendly. I really don't run into that many rude people and I come in contact with tons of people on an everyday basis.

Can't beat the spring, fall, and winter.

Proximity to other towns/cities to explore, the beach, the mountains.... so much to do in our state!

I love spending time in different pockets of town. Sometimes I may just be going to Target, which is 5 min down the street, but I like to go to a different area of the city to their Target to also see what the neighborhoods/stores/schools/parks are like there. Different pockets have such a different feel from one another!

The library book sale. Yes, I love it enough for it to make the list!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary