U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 06:58 PM

105 posts, read 103,445 times

Advertisements

Is a dog license necessary in Durham? If so, where do you go to get it?

I read this somewhere, "Dog or cat owners who live in Durham County must list the animal with the Durham County Tax Administrator within 30 days of bringing the animal into the county." What is all this about and is it true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 07:00 PM

109 posts, read 211,819 times
Yes, you have to have a dog license in Durham county. I get a bill every year for my 5 pets. It's $10 per animal if they're spayed.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:02 PM

749 posts, read 814,177 times
There is a dog tax. When I took my dog to the vet, I guess they were required to send it to the County. It's been maybe 5 years ago, but I asked the County how they found out.

It's very true. They at least gave me time to have my puppy spayed. It was like $60 cheaper a year if they are fixed.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:14 PM

As soon as your pet gets a rabies shot, the vet is required to notify the health department which in turn notifies the tax collector. That's how they get your info.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:38 PM

422 posts, read 533,777 times
If you get rabies in Chatham county they don't send to Durham. At least that is how it worked 4 yrs ago. I don't mind paying the money. I do mind Durham feels the need to list the breed and name of pet in the public tax database.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:33 PM

105 posts, read 103,445 times
Thank you. Moved here from another state...where in Durham is their office where I can go in person to pay the fee? What do I need to bring with me; i.e. shot records, etc???

Old 04-29-2013, 09:37 PM

749 posts, read 814,177 times
They billed me. I brought proof that my dog was spayed since they billed me for a dog that wasn't spayed.

200 East Main Street
1st Floor, Old Courthouse
Durham, NC 27701

Old 04-29-2013, 10:43 PM

9,080 posts, read 18,841,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocharoman View Post
I do mind Durham feels the need to list the breed and name of pet in the public tax database.
It's public info. I don't think Durham really has a choice. I'm sure fido doesn't mind. It's not like he has to worry about somebody stealing their identity.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:46 PM

You don't need to go in person and you don't need to bring anything with you. Don't pay it until you get the bill in the mail. When you do, just mail in the check. You don't have to send in proof because the vet apparently does that. I got a bill for a dog that they had as unspayed and I sent in the $10 anyway and not the larger amount because she was spayed and they accepted that. By the way, one dog had a rabies shot in Orange County and they notified Durham County. So the counties do notify each other.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:57 AM

449 posts, read 486,884 times
When we moved here a few years ago we sent in our first payment on our own. The forms and information are all on line. Every year since then they send us the bill. We've never had to go to the office for anything. And we never, that I remember, got a physical tag for the dog or cats. The only actual piece of jewlery they have is their rabies tag.

Take a good look because there are a couple differnt forms, one for 5 or more animals, another for less than 5 animals and another for exepted animals (for example you evidently don't have to pay for a license for service animals but they do want them registered). Make sure you get the right form and right amount for your pets.

Durham County : Animal Owners
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary