Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 12:50 PM

170 posts, read 362,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE View Post
Sorry, I have trouble with the "responsible gun owner" argument and then people sticking up for the irresponsible gun owner. No guns means no guns. How do you not know where your gun is?

And I am a firm believer in the second amendment, but we can't keep making the argument that guns are safe because of responsible gun owners, and then find out that he "forgot" where it was. There is nothing responsible in not knowing where your gun is AT ALL TIMES.
THIS Xs a 1000.

He was irresponsible. Not graduating is how he will learn his lesson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 01:07 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
wheelsup, do you think knowingly and purposely are the same thing?

Since I'm not a judge and haven't heard testimony in court, it is not for me to decide whether the student should be a felon . (But when you commit a felony, that's what you are volunteering to become.) I assume the court will take everything into account and make an appropriate decision. But the charge and the school actions are exactly what are required by the statute and policy. Period.
In legal terms they certainly have different meanings.

I'm asking you, do you feel the charge should be followed through with or are you simply playing Devil's advocate?

Are you saying this will go to trial? I have to assume by the time that happens it won't matter a bit - this guy will have missed the last month of school and wouldn't have graduated.

This is just a classic example of overreacting.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmcb26 View Post
THIS Xs a 1000.

He was irresponsible. Not graduating is how he will learn his lesson.
People screw up all the time. It's human nature. What is important is how they handle the situation.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:10 PM

3,305 posts, read 8,555,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Um, wow. Ok, let me regain my composure here.

If he had a loaded gun in his car and there was even a hint of belief that he intended to use it, the school would have notified the authorities, they would have swooped in, put him on his face on the ground, arrested the bejeepers out of him, tried him, and if there was proof, the guy would have been put away for a long time.

The only thing that would have been the same would be that people like you would still be making crazy analogies that didn't make sense, but somehow let you feel like you've proved your point...

Sorry, but you are just plain wrong. As I said, I agree that common sense should rule here, but that applies to those of us in the discussion too. To say that someone could bring a loaded gun to a school, display intent to use it, and that they'd only get a 365 day suspension is just silly. (I'm sure many wish that was the only consequence, but again, common sense dictates otherwise...)
Take a deep breath!

I was pointing out the schools punishment, not any criminal punishment he would have received. Of course the criminal punishment would have been worse. I suppose the school, could ban him for life, but my point was the punishment the school gives him would be the same or not much worse.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:11 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
In legal terms they certainly have different meanings.

I'm asking you, do you feel the charge is warranted and should be followed through with or are you simply playing Devil's advocate?

Are you saying this will go to trial? I have to assume by the time that happens it won't matter a bit - this guy will have missed the last month of school and wouldn't have graduated.

This is just a classic example of overreacting.
It's unlikley to go to trial. It will likely be decided between a lawyer and a DA. Charges can be reduced and dropped etc...It's unlikely he'll end up with a felony as someone with no criminal record.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:44 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,446,794 times
No, I don't think it will go to trial. And the criminal charge would be entirely separate from the school suspension, so that wouldn't matter.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
No, I don't think it will go to trial. And the criminal charge would be entirely separate from the school suspension, so that wouldn't matter.
Of course it won't.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:29 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times
I remember when we would have "random vehicle checks" that some of the students brought in their guns to the vocational halls for storage, during hunting season. Oh the innocent 1990s.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:05 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,207,522 times
Hmmm... Last week where i teach:

Old 05-01-2013, 07:07 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,207,522 times
Hmmm... Last week at my school: kid brings switchblade-not even suspended. Another kid brings a bb gun-I think he got a day or two suspended. But I teach in Wake Co. Maybe they overlook the zero tolerance there?
In a case that was clearly an accident, I hope it gets sorted out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary