Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 09:35 AM

27 posts, read 50,451 times

Advertisements

A few questions for forum members:

We are looking at buying a resale house in Cameron Pond and I'd like to get peoples opinions on the neighborhood. The house does not back up to 540 or the power lines and is rather nice. But it is on the high end for the neighborhood and I would like to get opinions on Cameron Pond in general and if it is just to volatile a neighborhood given the lawsuit, distance to 540, etc.

We've also looked at Copperleaf, Kensington at Regency, and some other neighborhoods in North Raleigh including Stonemoor and Sheffield Manor, and some in Chapel Hill.

We sold our house in North Raleigh which was purchased before we had our children. One will be starting school in 2 years and the Cary area schools seem much more consistent that those in North Raleigh. Any thoughts or opinions on that would be appreciated.

With the low inventory we have struggled to find something we like, with a good lot, location, and schools. Our price range has been fairly wide to try and open some options. Needless to say we are extremely frustrated and have considered just leaving the area. The search has been exhausting and ongoing for months...

Really could use some thoughts from the folks here since we are coming down to the wire on finding a place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 10:07 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Can't speak to CP, personally the whole thing is too close to 540 for me but YMMV. However, I would expect the schools thing to be a problem in that area of western Cary for years to come. It's only been a few weeks since I've been out there (my parents live in Carolina Preserve) and I just can't believe how much changes every time I drive out there.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:12 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,237,066 times
I don't live in CP but I know several people who do. They all seem happy with the neighborhood. I never even looked there when I relocated because to me, those awful power lines right beside the pool were a big turn off. What's your price point? Have you looked at Westvale? It looks nice. I live in Highcroft Village but there is only one home available here at the moment. It's a tough market right now as there isn't that much to choose from.

I agree with the prior poster that the schools here will be in upheaval for the foreseeable future. It's a big concern to me.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:59 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,573,818 times
If you are concerned about power lines and 540, then any future buyer of your home would probably have those same concerns.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
If you are concerned about power lines and 540, then any future buyer of your home would probably have those same concerns.
I agree. And that is precisely my thinking.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:01 PM

I don't believe we've looked at Westvale. I will look that up this afternoon. Highcroft Village is nice and we looked at building on one of the last remaining lots with Grayline but just couldn't wait 8 or 9 months to get back into a house.
We are looking at what I would consider fairly expensive neighborhoods including Copperleaf and Regency, and some others.

I thought Mills Park, Green Hope, etc were fairly highly rated schools. Or was the comment around Wake County in general.

The schools in Cary definitely get better consistent ratings that say those in N. Raleigh.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:06 PM

40 posts, read 123,784 times
If you are looking at homes that are not on power lines or near 540, that is probably the reason they are on the high end of the price range in CP. Most of those homes near the power lines and 540 are beautiful homes and if you don't mind that, you can get a steal. I know one there recently sold at 500k (I think) that would likely be 600K in any other area or even another section of CP. The problem is, of course, that other buyers will have that same concern going forward with those homes. That may not affect you specifically if you aren't in one of those homes, but it may be a concern for the neighborhood as a whole. It probably wouldn't be in a booming market but since this is still a recovering market people worry about that. Just my 2 cents.

Westvale is new also so you may have to wait 5-6 months to get in there. Across from Highcroft.

The schools are all rated well, but I'm sure MB is referring to the uncertainty about where the kids will go to school long term because the area is still building up.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:24 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,237,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatma View Post
I don't believe we've looked at Westvale. I will look that up this afternoon. Highcroft Village is nice and we looked at building on one of the last remaining lots with Grayline but just couldn't wait 8 or 9 months to get back into a house.
We are looking at what I would consider fairly expensive neighborhoods including Copperleaf and Regency, and some others.

I thought Mills Park, Green Hope, etc were fairly highly rated schools. Or was the comment around Wake County in general.

The schools in Cary definitely get better consistent ratings that say those in N. Raleigh.
They are all highly rated, it's just a question of space. Most of the schools are getting very full and there is a lot of growth happening in this are, which means more kids, so there will be some upheaval in assignments.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:52 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
If you're looking at Copperleaf because you can afford Copperleaf? Buy a house in Copperleaf. I'm thinking there are at least 2 spec homes out there, maybe?

Out of curiosity? Which street in Cameron Pond?

Also, I think there might be a couple of specs going up in Westvale, but they're gonna be smaller than Copperleaf homes.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:54 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Also? I like Grayline, generally speaking. We looked at that last lot in Highcroft Village. We went with a resale. Love our neighborhood, but there's nothing for sale over here right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary