Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2013, 10:12 AM

6 posts, read 13,844 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband and I are in the early stage of considering a move to the Triangle area in the next year or two. We both live in Northern NJ and work in Manhattan as software developers. Like many people who have posted on this forum, we are questioning the high cost of living in our area, considering that in our field we can get jobs in other parts of the country.

We are planning to drive down Memorial Day weekend with our 1 year old daughter and 3 year old son. We would like to spend 4 or 5 nights at a hotel in the area. Does anyone have suggestions for a good place to stay? We would prefer a suite with 2 separate rooms as its easier to put the kids to bed. I have seen some hotels that with 2 room suites but they are not located in a downtown area. Since we are driving everywhere, we may not need to be downtown, but I thought it may be easier to take the kids for walks in the evening rather than have to get in the car to go anywhere - if such a place exists.

Also, does anyone have recommendations for where to visit? We want to get the best taste possible for life in the Triangle. We would like to see parks, museums, and drive around Cary, Apex, Chapel Hill to get a feel for the neighborhoods. Any restaurant recommendations would be welcome too!

We would appreciate if anyone has any neighborhood recommendations as well. We obviously don't know what part of the Triangle we'd be working in yet, and there's a good chance my husband would be working at home. If we decided to relocate, we would probably rent at first. Ultimately we would be looking for homes in the 400-600K range (closer to 400-500 if the taxes are higher like in Chapel Hill, and possibly above 600 if the taxes are lower like in Apex or Cary), as we both will be working.

Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 10:33 AM

22,615 posts, read 36,526,486 times
We always stayed at the Embassy Suites in Cary when we came down. It's right off I40. I understand you wanting to stay "downtown" but not sure it's necessary in these parts. I'm not as familiar with DT Raleigh so can't point you to anyplace to stay where you can walk to things - especially not a suites place. There is another Embassy Suites by Crabtree Valley Mall as well. The one in Cary has a really nice indoor pool and of course you can't beat the happy hour and free breakfast. It's close enough to several restaurants, you'd probably want to drive but it would be literally a 2 minute drive.

If you belong to AAA I suggest getting their street map of the Triangle which will help you take notes on places you see and like.

Good luck!

Old 05-02-2013, 01:15 PM

14 posts, read 26,052 times
You don't need to stay downtown; you can easily drive everywhere. Heres's some suggestions for places to stay where you can also walk in the evening: try some place around North Hills or Southpoint. Both are mixed-use areas with large outdoor shopping malls that usually have some sort of outdoor entertainment in the summer. There are also many nice, and some new, hotels around Research Triangle Park where it's a short drive to Lake Crabtree park where the family can walk in a more natural area. To get a taste of the area, you'll need to drive around or see if there are any tours you would like. We're pretty sprawled around here. Restaurant suggestion: I live in Cary and one of my favorite restaurants is Tribeca Tavern at Davis and High House. They have a large selection of burgers and crafted beers. BTW, everywhere in Cary is kid-friendly. We joke that it's the SUV capital of NC.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:31 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,535,959 times
As far as things to do -- Wake County is full of parks! go to raleigh parks and rec & cary parks and rec and add those playground stops into your touring! I know we did when we looked long ago.

Pullen Park is a great park in downtown raleigh to take your kids to, and a terrific indoor place is Marbles kids museum -- there is a toddler play area that is just wonderful. Not sure we'll have a rainy day over mem.day w/e, but you just never know. Their are several museums downtown Raleigh, there is the Science museum in Durham that has a butterfly area and a little railway and a planetarium in Chapel Hill as well as gorgeous parks in Chapel Hill. Not sure of names, but we visited a few during soccer season.

I would get a map of the entire triangle area -- and start to acquaint yourself with how large wake county is (it is a 30-45 min drive from side/side), where johnston, durham, chatham and orange counties are and trolling this city-data for info and marking things on the map. The triangle is a large area and you'll be able to mix some fun/sun/touring while you are here. If you stay centrally as twingles suggested then most things are really only 20 mins away.

Good luck!

Old 05-02-2013, 07:51 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,200,412 times
Where we were checking out the area, we also stayed at the Embassy Suites in Cary. They have a pool for the kids, breakfast is included, and the have cocktails in the late afternoon-early evening. It was in a good location for us to scope out the area-and then we ended up way out here in Clayton-UGh!

Old 05-03-2013, 07:06 AM

7 posts, read 15,742 times
When we were househunting, we stayed at the REsidence Inn in Cary Raleigh Extended Stay Hotels in Cary NC | Residence Inn Cary Hotel. It is in a great location for a central base for you to explore. As previous posters have mentioned - no need to stay downtown... The Raleigh/Cary area is fabulous and very family friendly... nearly every restaurant has outside dining which you will be able to enjoy in May and pools should be open... the Residence Inn used to have free access to Lifetime Fitness right next door - but that's been a few years, so double check that... they have an awesome facility with equally awesome outdoor pool.

Park/Playground - I would recommend Kids Together Park Kids Together Home... you will not be able to get your kids to leave! There are many such parks all over Wake County - Wake County Parks, Recreation & Open Space.

Neighborhoods - Cary, Apex, Morrisville, etc. are all VERY family friendly. Everywhere you will find neighborhoods filled with kids from every age - it is a big area and if you don't know where you will be working, there is lot's of ground to cover! Most people work in RTP (Research Triangle Park) and the recently completed 540 highway makes it super easy to access from western Wake. We live in Apex... and LOVE it! We are close to shops and bustle of Cary, but still enough rural areas - plus quick access to Jordan Lake. Downtown Apex is a lovely little main street with some shops and restaurants... great festivals and small town feel. Our neighborhood is Abbington, and the newly completed Stratford section has homes in your price point - I believe there are a few houses up for sale.. they are gorgeous and all are custom built homes. There are many new construction developments in the western wake area - you should be able to google search for a map of neighborhoods and new home construction in this area... in your price point you can get a mega house out in Holly Springs or Fuquay - but that's a little further south - all depends on where you want to live.

Restaurants - I agree with coffeecrisp on Tribeca Tavern - yummy burgers. Also right next door Cafe Caturra - another great restaurant with good wines and well prepared food - huge outdoor area and kids will love nearby fountain. In Apex try Anna's Pizzeria or La Rancherita... there are a couple places in Waverly Place (Italian, Mexican, Greek) plus fro yo and super awesome Gigi's cupcakes - kids will love playground and just running up/down steps - this is just down the street from Residence Inn. At Cary Crossroads - big shopping area - there are a bunch of chains (Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Red Robin, etc.) but there is also Sweet Tomatoes (huge salad bar) and Jason's Deli which my New York neighbors adore and also very kid friendly.

Sights/Areas to see - Downtown Raleigh - there is Marbles Children's Museum and the Natural History & Science Museum... plus Pullen Park as WeLuvNC mentioned. Many wonderful restaurants downtown you can google. Cary - a sprawling, busy mecca of shops and houses - everything here - great walking/biking trails all over. I think Apex is perfect which is why I live here. Morrisville - close to RTP, but no real downtown area and lot's of neighborhoods in flight path (airplane noise). Holly Springs and Fuquay - much more rural, but HS is getting new shopping ctr and 540 starting to open up that area. I'm not familiar with North Raleigh/Wake Forest area (it was too far from RTP for us) but many people like it up there. I don't really know anything about Garner or Clayton... goodbyesnow doesn't seem happy there. Chapel Hill (and next door Carrboro) is a fantastic little college town... I love it out there, but houses are very pricey. However, it is worth a drive to see UNC campus and walk down Franklin St. Durham is really a city all on it's own with it's own flavor and neighborhoods. You should really google and research - people either love it or hate it - but you can't beat the Bull's stadium for baseball. I think it's a great little town with lot's of character, history and culture... but there are spots to be wary of. The American Tobacco Campus is another gem where you kids will enjoy the water falls and a couple restaurants - local chain Tyler's is my fav.

Most everyone LOVES living in the Raleigh area... the weather is phenomenal (yes, it does get hot in the summer) but snow is virtually non-existent. There are many relocated New York & NJ families, so you will quickly and easily make new friends with old 'neighbors.' The only complaint that you will undoubtedly hear is the school system... Wake County is messed up! Overall the teachers and schools in general are good, and fortunately no matter where you go, your kids will have a good education. However, the school board is a bunch of power hungry idiots that seem to think that re-districting kids every year is a good thing. It is ridiculous how many times we've been re-assigned - which makes it incredibly hard for house hunting and you will have to learn about year-round schools. You still have a couple years to worry about it, but I warn you because you will hear a lot about it and everyone complains about it.

Good luck in your search!

Old 05-03-2013, 07:58 AM

527 posts, read 928,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLuvNC View Post
Pullen Park is a great park in downtown raleigh to take your kids to, and a terrific indoor place is Marbles kids museum -- there is a toddler play area that is just wonderful.
Ditto the recommendation on Pullen Park. Not only is the park beautiful (lots of mature trees, little lake, scenic bridges) but it has a great little train that takes you around the park, paddle boats, plenty of playground spaces, a wonderful restored old carousel and more. The rides are affordable plus you can get snacks. It's a great place for small kids. The parking can be tough but note there is usually satellite parking just up the street so don't be discouraged if the main lot is full!

Travel safely and hope you enjoy your stay in Raleigh.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:00 AM

6 posts, read 13,844 times
Thank you all for your suggestions! I will keep you posted with how our trip goes!

Old 05-03-2013, 11:09 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,045,481 times
Durham Museum of Life & Science - Explore, Connect, Learn, Share | Museum of Life and Science in Durham, NC From their website: "The Museum of Life and Science is one of North Carolina’s top attractions. Situated on 84-acres, our interactive science park includes a science center, a butterfly conservatory which is one of the largest in the world and beautifully-landscaped outdoor exhibits which are safe havens for rescued black bears, lemurs, and endangered red wolves.

"The Museum's Dinosaur Trail takes visitors on a journey through the Late Cretaceous period. Other attractions include a Farmyard, Ellerbe Creek Railway, Contraptions – a hands-on exhibit for older children and adults, a sailboat pond, The Lab in Investigate Health!, Play to Learn – an exhibit for children under six, more than 60 species of live animals and so much more."

And definitely Pullen Park.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:40 PM

167 posts, read 302,850 times
You have some great ideal her ! Check Pullman park yes BUT if you want some fun walk around time visit the State Fair ground on sat or sun it is a flea market and great fun to walk around and visit . You will find we have Lots of parks! trails/In all the communitys ,Do watch out for the air traffice noise, but tha can be looked over if you find the place you love ,We love Cary in live in the old town part It a cute small town and has many new plans for the area! Yes the school system is always in a turn over But you can always look in to charter school when the time get near for you child . we have several in the area , Weather is nice . and you should enjoy the time here, Downtown can be great after noon . Marbles for the kids but the other may be to much for the age they are now but in a few year a great adventure !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary