U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 11:02 AM

7,579 posts, read 9,624,784 times
Default 3rd Annual OutRaleigh festival on Fayetteville St, Saturday May 4

The LGBT Center of Raleigh hosts the 3rd annual OutRaleigh Family-friendly festival (not a "parade") all day on Fayetteville St., Saturday May 4. "Family, Friends, and Fun" is the theme.

Local performance groups on the stage at City Plaza in the afternoon, booths from many local organizations, and a KidsZone are just part of the festivities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 11:21 AM

540 posts, read 764,290 times
I highly recommend this festival. It gets busier and more popular every year. The LGBT puts out a good effort. Go and support them.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
I highly recommend this festival. It gets busier and more popular every year. The LGBT puts out a good effort. Go and support them.
And for extra amusement, you can smirk at the protestors who think they are changing anybody by preaching Fire and Brimstone to them. There is actually a "Pledge a Protestor" program going on where for every protestor documented, people agree to donate $X to the LGBT Center, so the protestors are actually making money for the Community! The more, the merrier!

Old 05-03-2013, 12:02 PM

43 posts, read 43,059 times
I love the "pledge a protestor" program. What a great idea!

Old 05-03-2013, 02:02 PM

1,357 posts, read 1,016,194 times
I'm not in favor of blocking off the streets so often

Old 05-03-2013, 02:30 PM

540 posts, read 764,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I'm not in favor of blocking off the streets so often
I would kindly disagree and would rather have the city put on events and festivals that draw crowds to Downtown Raleigh than leave the streets open to cars. There are plenty of streets in downtown that one block is not going to hurt anything.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:56 PM

WKNC did a radio interview with the organizers which is now a Podcast, FYI.

As for blocking off the "streets"--only Fayetteville St is blocked off, so traffic through downtown need only go one block east or west. Surely one can get through downtown without taking Fayetteville itself.

Old 05-03-2013, 03:31 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,526,515 times
Fayetteville street is blocked just about every weekend for something. I think it's great that Raleigh has so much going on in downtown. I might take my daughter to this one tomorrow, she loves DT, People and Festivals!

Thanks for posting.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:00 PM

1,357 posts, read 1,016,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
I would kindly disagree and would rather have the city put on events and festivals that draw crowds to Downtown Raleigh than leave the streets open to cars. There are plenty of streets in downtown that one block is not going to hurt anything.
Oh, I don't mind them blocking off the Square block at all. That's what it is there for.

But I was downtown today and they've got "no parking signs by order of police/will be towed" for much more than 1 block.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Oh, I don't mind them blocking off the Square block at all. That's what it is there for.

But I was downtown today and they've got "no parking signs by order of police/will be towed" for much more than 1 block.
Don't assume it is for OutRaleigh--there is also a NAMI walk tomorrow, for example, possibly other events. It's springtime and a lot of organizations schedule their outdoor events at this time of year. OutRaleigh volunteers are attendees are being told to park in the city parking decks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary