Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 04:50 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,769,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
What field are you talking about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTenGuyInNC View Post
Well...I'd imagine that depends where you work. I don't think you'll find employer expectations drastically different here for the same job. Perhaps the problem is less your location and more your career/employer?
Agreed. Working in tech I cannot see the difference (except maybe clothing style) or guarantee things will be different for the better. It will be a bonus if you did but it comes up ever so rarely. I was fortunate in this case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 05:03 PM

183 posts, read 454,431 times
Yes. This area is *far more laid back*.
I've never lived in NOVA, but I do visit often.
I think you will find a night and day difference in the triangle.

~Work to live, versus live to work~
I've experienced both.

People here have a very good balance of life - it's quite nice.

You will not be able to walk everywhere, nor will you have the Metro - you'll need a car.
Everything is a trade off...

Old 05-10-2013, 05:07 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,702,144 times
Everything about the Raleigh area is better than Nova imo. Even better, you can easily get back to Nova if you want to. I go for DC United games sometimes, hang around the DC area, and leave when I'm done, so I don't have to put up with the daily traffic, poor roads, taxes, and lines at every store.

OP, I'm guessing by your name you're in Fairfax, so imagine that area with half the traffic and population and you have a good idea of the Raleigh areas.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:49 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,094,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love to travel View Post

You should come down for a long weekend and check it out! We have a great Arts festival in two weekends from now (Artsplosure) and it gives a nice taste of what our downtown has to offer.
Artsplosure is next weekend (May 17, 18, 19):

Artsplosure

Old 05-11-2013, 02:35 AM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Everything about the Raleigh area is better than Nova imo. Even better, you can easily get back to Nova if you want to. I go for DC United games sometimes, hang around the DC area, and leave when I'm done, so I don't have to put up with the daily traffic, poor roads, taxes, and lines at every store.

OP, I'm guessing by your name you're in Fairfax, so imagine that area with half the traffic and population and you have a good idea of the Raleigh areas.
I agree with what you said except for taxes. I find them to be higher in NC. Granted, I liive in chapel hill but even other taxes have been higher for us. - sales tax, income,, car insurance, homeowner's insurance, and of course property tax. Virginia actually has fairly low taxes.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:39 AM

162 posts, read 291,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I agree with what you said except for taxes. I find them to be higher in NC. Granted, I liive in chapel hill but even other taxes have been higher for us. - sales tax, income,, car insurance, homeowner's insurance, and of course property tax. Virginia actually has fairly low taxes.
Totally agree -- coming from NJ no less. Yep my property taxes are a LOT less but seriously would like to add up all those nuisance taxes we pay and see how it really compares. Also NC personal income taxes are high - min of 6% up to 7.75% puts it in top 10 of states. You also pay tax on food (!), clothing, yearly tax on car. So I'd that aside from housing costs which are undeniably lower your other expenses won't change too much.

Also as someone who lived in Northern NJ about 30 min from NYC -- and who took full advantge of all the city had to offer -- be aware that this area in no way compares to living near a big city. Yes there are lots of things to do but definitely a different feel.

Last edited by jersey919; 05-11-2013 at 05:41 AM.. Reason: add comment

Old 05-11-2013, 12:08 PM

5 posts, read 9,606 times
thanks for all the responses everyone! Especially from the Vienna transplant; you know exactly what I'm talking about We lived in Vienna for a short bit and are in Falls Church now. So I have a question for you: is there anywhere in the Triangle area where you can get the more laid back lifestyle but also be able to walk places in the community like you can in Vienna or Falls Church? We can walk to the W&OD bike trail, the ice cream shop, the library, etc, and I'd love to be able to find a place with those benefits, but leave the rest behind!

Old 05-15-2013, 11:45 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,526,857 times
Bumping thread up...

Old 05-24-2013, 08:28 PM

7 posts, read 11,407 times
I was just getting ready to start a similar thread. My husband and I live in NOVA and we're getting tired of it. Been here almost 20 years. Work to live. I really loved it at first. Loved the pace, being close to DC, to Dulles Airport, convenience of everything etc, but now we're ready for a more laid back life. We're ready for a change. No kids, just us and two small dogs.

Old 05-25-2013, 06:21 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,178 times
I've lived in Springfield and my parents still live there, my brother and his wife live in NE DC. I'd rather live in NE than go back to Springfield! I love it here.

Much of Wake County looks like Springfield with rolling hills and lots of green trees and parks and greenways. Amenities are similar. But the pace of life here is much more sane, traffic is much more manageable and people are MUCH friendlier. And of course you can buy more house for the money here.

One thing: I don't know of any school district where gifted and talented students are not identified by exam. What differs is amount of money they spend and therefore the number of students they are able to serve. Some districts can offer GT programming to the top x% of students in each grade level, some can only offer services to a certain number of students. Because we have some element of school choice even if your child misses the cut off, there are still lots of great options for students with different interests and skills.

I'm not sure I agree with the person who said there was more to do in DC. There is no shortage of things to do here and driving to those things is much less of a challenge. No, you can't visit the White House in Raleigh, but who does that more than once?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary