Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 02:46 PM

460 posts, read 1,770,370 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in getting an Egg Chair by Jacobson. I know it can be ordered online, but I'd prefer to deal with a local store. I'm willing to drive outside the area, if necessary.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 03:07 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,193,820 times
Nowell's in Cary maybe would have it. There's also a modern furniture shop on Glenwood that might carry it, or be able to order.
Also, for vintage items, try Father and Son in Raleigh swankarama! I think. I've never seen an egg chair, but they do end up with some Eames chairs on occasion and other funky stuff.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:27 PM

Thank you SO much for the info! I'm heading onver to Swankarama and Nowell's first thing in the morning!!

Old 11-01-2007, 05:58 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,756,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurl View Post
Thank you SO much for the info! I'm heading onver to Swankarama and Nowell's first thing in the morning!!
The owners of Father and Son Antiques / Swankarama are soooo WONDERFUL! Good people and they really know mid-century.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:11 PM

836 posts, read 3,469,921 times
Try Cherry Modern furniture in Cameron Village. They used to be in Glenwood South, but moved. They have local contracts with many of the major modern lines. Father and Son is best for Vintage. Nowells has modern furniture, but the quality can be questionable, I think. For what I would call "ultra-modern" not midcentury modern like you are looking for, there is Ambiente. I am not a big Ambiente fan, though, as their stuff is too "cutesy" or something. Tooooo much of a statement for me. Plus there salespeople always act like they are better than you when you shop there.

I find it easiest to just travel to DC or Chicago to shop for furniture. You can also check out Wright Auctions in Chicago who have modern furniture auctions periodically, or Wright Now, where they sell some of their vintage furniture and art direct.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:22 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Quote:
I'm interested in getting an Egg Chair by Jacobson. I know it can be ordered online, but I'd prefer to deal with a local store. I'm willing to drive outside the area, if necessary.

Thanks!
Cherry Modern in Cameron Village sells many fully licensed mid century (and mid century inspired) lines. They carry higher end lines than Nowell's. I'd definitely check them out. They are the closest thing that Raleigh has to "Design Within Reach" or other high end contemporary furniture stores.
I have personally dealt with them and have been pleased.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Cherry Modern in Cameron Village sells many fully licensed mid century (and mid century inspired) lines. They carry higher end lines than Nowell's. I'd definitely check them out. They are the closest thing that Raleigh has to "Design Within Reach" or other high end contemporary furniture stores.
I have personally dealt with them and have been pleased.
Ok, I'm crossing my fingers that they have an Egg Chair. DWR only has red and chartruese(sp) ready to ship. Any other color from them or Hive, and I'm looking at January to get it. (but Hive is cheaper than DWR if you choose another fabric.)

Old 11-01-2007, 09:14 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Quote:
Ok, I'm crossing my fingers that they have an Egg Chair. DWR only has red and chartruese(sp) ready to ship. Any other color from them or Hive, and I'm looking at January to get it. (but Hive is cheaper than DWR if you choose another fabric.)
If Cherry doesn't have the color you want in quick ship, try retromodern.com and get your modern. I've bought things from them as well and, since they don't have a store in NC, there's no sales tax. When you consider how expensive an egg chair is, that's a big deal.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
If Cherry doesn't have the color you want in quick ship, try retromodern.com and get your modern. I've bought things from them as well and, since they don't have a store in NC, there's no sales tax. When you consider how expensive an egg chair is, that's a big deal.
Was retromodern good to deal with? (ie Everything arrived ok, and no 'issues'?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary