Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 11:22 AM

10 posts, read 24,809 times

Advertisements

Hi, All!
How is the commute from say, Flowers Plantation, Riverwood, or Glen Laurel to RTP?
Should be closing on the sale of our Orange County, NY house in 2 weeks!
I'm coming off of a 2 hour one-way commute in NY. Not sure about the schools yet, but they look OK, any input would be appreciated. I was looking around Wilmington, but the tech jobs are slim pickins down there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2006, 11:39 AM

505 posts, read 2,543,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBunny View Post
Hi, All!
How is the commute from say, Flowers Plantation, Riverwood, or Glen Laurel to RTP?
Should be closing on the sale of our Orange County, NY house in 2 weeks!
I'm coming off of a 2 hour one-way commute in NY. Not sure about the schools yet, but they look OK, any input would be appreciated. I was looking around Wilmington, but the tech jobs are slim pickins down there...
You drove two hours to work everyday?? Wow, your drive from Flowers Plantation to RTP will be a cake walk!

I thinking your drive will be around 40 minutes maybe. Maybe a bit less. This is would be becaue of some what heavy traffic.

Old 10-10-2006, 12:31 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,408,254 times
I'm thinking closer to an hour, to an hour-fifteen on a normal workday. Traffic can be pretty unpredictable on I-40 during rush hours.

Old 10-10-2006, 12:40 PM

Over an hour won't be good. I'm looking for a better quality of life than I have now.
We keep hearing that Wake schools are so overcrowded, so we are looking to other counties.

Old 10-10-2006, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Over an hour won't be good. I'm looking for a better quality of life than I have now.
We keep hearing that Wake schools are so overcrowded, so we are looking to other counties.
Well just about every county here has growth issues for the schools. Even Johnston is...their problems are catching up to Wake too.

Another option for you is Orange County...the amount of traffic going into RTP from the west is less than from the east. ChapelHill/Carrboro is expensive in the towns (although they have the best schools), but Hillsborough is much less expensive. From there, I'd say a trip to RTP would be aprox 40-50 min, or less, shortcutting thru downtown Durham along NC 147. 65mph pretty much the entire trip.

Old 10-10-2006, 06:11 PM

505 posts, read 2,543,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
I'm thinking closer to an hour, to an hour-fifteen on a normal workday. Traffic can be pretty unpredictable on I-40 during rush hours.

Are you kidding?

I know without traffic it would only take about 30 minutes tops to get from Clayton to RTP.

But I admit, I have never drove that during morning rush hour. Wow

Old 10-10-2006, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Google maps gives about 40Mi from Clayton to RTP. Does 50 minutes driving + 20 minutes sitting in traffic on 40 sound like a typical commute?

Old 10-11-2006, 03:51 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,912 times
Quote:
I agree with this estimate. We are in Apex and it can easily take 45 minutes to get to RTP during rush hour from here. Clayton is about 30 minutes from here, so I think RaleighRob's estimate is right on the money.

Old 10-11-2006, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Google maps gives about 40Mi from Clayton to RTP. Does 50 minutes driving + 20 minutes sitting in traffic on 40 sound like a typical commute?
Absolutely. I-40 going into RTP from points Eastward is a major clog on rush hours.

More than half of my friends who work in RTP live in Durham, and it's completely different. They get there in less than 15 minutes sometimes. One in Chapel Hill gets there in about 25 minutes.

But from the east, you got people coming in from Raleigh, Cary, Knightdale, Garner, Clayton, etc etc. A much larger volume for the road to handle.
In addition, there's a big part of 40 just on the west end of Raleigh where it's still only 2 lanes each way.

Old 10-12-2006, 01:51 PM

787 posts, read 3,583,643 times
Driving the beltline in rush hour traffic was a nightmare in 1991 when I was doing it. Or should I say coming in through Knightdale was a nightmare. If you are coming in through Clayton you will already be on the beltline when you hit the city limits unless they have moved some things since I was up there. I came in through Selma and Clayton during 1989-1991 and it was congested but nothing like commuting from Kenly through Wendell and Knightdale. Hopefully the roads aren't as bad in places as they were. But I use to leave Selma and make it to Edenton St. in about an hour even back then. Once I got off the beltline at Person Street, it wasn't too bad. I can't remember it ever taking more than an hour from Exit 101 off Hwy 95 in Selma to Edenton Street after exiting onto Person Street from the beltline. Well, not unless there was a wreck or something like that. I got side tracked near a road right out of Clayton once and it took a while to get to work but that was not the usual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary