Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 07:59 AM

606 posts, read 903,469 times

Advertisements

Excuse the errors in that post. I'm posting from my tablet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 08:06 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,872,601 times
Meh, obviously hit a nerve. I apologize.

What is it that makes you think that the Triangle will become dirty, congested, and covered in concrete strip malls? In fact, areas like Fuquay Varina, Holly Springs among others have benefited greatly from areas like Cary and Raleigh becoming more densely populated.

FWIW, the thing that bothers me most about the commercial development is how it effects wildlife.

You seem to have missed the part of my post regarding the good and bad of any area. Not everything here, or anywhere is all peaches and cream. That doesn't mean you can't have a discussion about what's good and what needs improvement without getting bombarded with defenders.

How a statement is worded can sometimes make a difference, but I don't recall many posters stating that "all grocery stores here suck" or "all pizza here sucks". What I did read were people stating their opinion. There are some flamers out there, but most don't intend to offend. So, no need to defend.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:06 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,559,751 times
When we moved here from Virginia I made sure to get my new license and new plates within the first week of moving here. I only had my Virginia plates for 6 days before switching over. I wanted to assimilate as quickly as possible. There are families in our new neighborhood that have been here for 5-6 months now and they still have their Florida and Massachusetts plates respectively. Time to get with the program folks.

Growing in in Northern Virginia I was used to having friends and their parents come from all over the country and even out of the country, so transplants moving in are nothing new to me. One of my neighbors who is also from Northern VA has complained that this area is starting to resemble the town he came from and I told him, "what did you expect, to shut the door as soon as you got here"? The fact of matter is the country is growing and people need to live somewhere. Would you rather be in a dying region or a growing region. With the population growth this country has gone through, even areas that have a stable population are not thriving.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:29 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Meh, obviously hit a nerve. I apologize.

What is it that makes you think that the Triangle will become dirty, congested, and covered in concrete strip malls? In fact, areas like Fuquay Varina, Holly Springs among others have benefited greatly from areas like Cary and Raleigh becoming more densely populated.

FWIW, the thing that bothers me most about the commercial development is how it effects wildlife.

You seem to have missed the part of my post regarding the good and bad of any area. Not everything here, or anywhere is all peaches and cream. That doesn't mean you can't have a discussion about what's good and what needs improvement without getting bombarded with defenders.

How a statement is worded can sometimes make a difference, but I don't recall many posters stating that "all grocery stores here suck" or "all pizza here sucks". What I did read were people stating their opinion. There are some flamers out there, but most don't intend to offend. So, no need to defend.
No need to apologize, S5. I know you're a good guy and one of many who have moved here and enhanced the area.

I know this place isn't perfect (and at times it can be downright backward!), but it's home. Like you, I care about how development affects the wildlife in this region. I see far more deer in the middle of the roads here in Cary than I did 5 years ago. You have likely noticed the same.

I hate seeing trees chopped down and giant swaths of land razed for new (tract) housing developments. Anyone who knows much about the area knows you don't strip off all the topsoil. Not much grows in red clay.

My favorite thing about all the new people moving here is the diversity. So many people! From all over the world, even. Gives us the opportunity to create a wonderful new sort of a place to live.

My comment about the strip malls was a recollection of Capital Blvd. and what a run-down place it is compared to what it was like 30 years ago. Sad. Very.

I love areas like ITB, Cary, Chapel Hill, Carrboro...

I dunno how I'd feel if they ever went the way of some formerly nice areas of Raleigh.

I do know the aforementioned areas have communities that appear to be striving to avoid such things, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
When we moved here from Virginia I made sure to get my new license and new plates within the first week of moving here. I only had my Virginia plates for 6 days before switching over. I wanted to assimilate as quickly as possible. There are families in our new neighborhood that have been here for 5-6 months now and they still have their Florida and Massachusetts plates respectively. Time to get with the program folks.

Growing in in Northern Virginia I was used to having friends and their parents come from all over the country and even out of the country, so transplants moving in are nothing new to me. One of my neighbors who is also from Northern VA has complained that this area is starting to resemble the town he came from and I told him, "what did you expect, to shut the door as soon as you got here"? The fact of matter is the country is growing and people need to live somewhere. Would you rather be in a dying region or a growing region. With the population growth this country has gone through, even areas that have a stable population are not thriving.
LOL. Your neighbors are technically doing that illegally. That is kinda annoying. We all pay taxes here.

I do agree that living in a growing area vs a stagnant one is preferable. I would like to see more towns here plan park areas where trees and flowers are protected from the development that is sure to occur. That would be a good thing.

I feel fortunate to live close to Lake Crabtree and Umstead. Guaranteed wooded view!

Old 05-26-2013, 08:49 AM

924 posts, read 2,103,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompope View Post
Maybe meh_whatever is of American Indian descent. Then she'd have a fairly legitimate beef…

Otherwise, her family has just been interloping here for a few more generations than yours or mine, so I wouldn't worry about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Actually, I am. On my mom's side. Nice try, though.

Anyone who owns property here and is concerned about the area SHOULD be alarmed by unchecked, rapid growth. I said earlier that I'm all in favor of growth. Just don't care to be overrun.
I'm not sure what the "nice try" thing refers to. I wasn't aware that I was "trying" to do anything in particular other than making a quick post on City-Data. But thanks, though, I guess.

But, so, if you responded to my comment by pointing out that you're half American Indian, does that mean that part of your argument against "unchecked, rapid growth" in the Triangle has to do with the fundamental injustice of European settlers' atrocities against the Indians? If so, that's an interesting argument, but I don't see what difference it would make if those people of European ancestry are from North Carolina, New Jersey, or anywhere else. And I haven't seen you raise that issue about the treatment of American Indians such as your mother's ancestors in any of your other posts in this thread. So I'm confused.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompope View Post
I'm not sure what the "nice try" thing refers to. I wasn't aware that I was "trying" to do anything in particular other than making a quick post on City-Data. But thanks, though, I guess.

But, so, if you responded to my comment by pointing out that you're half American Indian, does that mean that part of your argument against "unchecked, rapid growth" in the Triangle has to do with the fundamental injustice of European settlers' atrocities against the Indians? If so, that's an interesting argument, but I don't see what difference it would make if those people of European ancestry are from North Carolina, New Jersey, or anywhere else. And I haven't seen you raise that issue about the treatment of American Indians such as your mother's ancestors in any of your other posts in this thread. So I'm confused.
I said "nice try" because your statement regarding native Americans was off topic, but it just so happens that I am part Cherokee on mom's side of the family.

I really don't see what this has to do with rapid growth in the Triangle TODAY, though. The reality is that my entire family from both parents' sides of the family are North Carolinias whose citizenship predate the Civil War. You can't casually toss out a comment like the one you made without seeing that it's fairly ridiculous.

I don't own the whole state. I was born here. I grew up here. So did my parents. And theirs. And theirs. And theirs. You get my point.

Someone who has that sort of stake in a state's success WILL have a different POV than someone who just moved here last month and is on a long string of moves from place to place. It's just common sense.

That said? Not all natives care much about their home state.

I reserve the right to care about mine.

I've seen people on this very board go from being new here and unconcerned with local issues (aside from housing, schools, and where to find good pizza) and become very concerned about rapid growth. People settle in. They start to think of this place as home. That's a good thing!

Old 05-26-2013, 09:45 AM

2 posts, read 1,620 times
Been in Durham for a grand of total of three days now and one of the first things I noticed is how many out of state license plates there were. So far I've seen plates from Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Florida, and Virginia, just to name a few.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:38 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I've noticed a couple of NY and MA plates the past week or so.

Interesting because schools in the northeast generally go till the end of June - looks like people are moving whenever they can sell their houses, I guess.
It is not uncommon for people to move here and not change their plates for well past the 60-day required grace period, so an out-of-state plate doesn't necessarily mean a brand new resident. I see cars parked in neighborhoods near me that have had NJ plates on them for years (parked in different spots, so they are driving them). I asked a policeman friend about this and he took down the info and said it is illegal, but very difficult to track. I knew someone who lived here over 5 years with an Oregon plate--he eventually moved to Illinois and I often wonder if he still has his Oregon plate there. Many new residents resent the property tax on cars and so don't register them here, figuring the fine for noncompliance is probably cheaper than paying the tax. (Not to be giving anybody any ideas ).

Old 05-26-2013, 12:49 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I don't think you actually read my post.

I like the growth. And the diversity. Seeing so much of it all at once is a bit alarming.

That's hardly animosity toward newcomers. It's common sense.

[...]

This area will lose things like that if population growth rapidly outpaces the infrastructure.

I'd think, as a citizen now of NC, that you would be concerned about this, too.
This.

I have compared it to watering your flower garden with a fire hose. There is healthy growth, and there is "too much, too fast" where infrastructure is concerned. I think our growth here is something like 4x the national average? I think something 2-3x would be a more healthy and judicious growth rate. More is not always better in all aspects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary