Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 06:07 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Indeed, the rest could be babies, retirees, adults, blah, blah, blah... Just as there are non-white babies, retirees, adults...

But if 53% of the population is white, but only 20% of those attending school are white, what gives?

Do the white residents have way, way, way fewer school-age children?

Are a huge percentage of white students in private schools or homeschooled?

What?
Minorities have a much higher birth-rate than whites. It's as simple as that. The nation as a whole is 70% white but as of last year, less than half of all babies born are white. The boomer generation didn't have as many kids as their parents, and they are currently the largest "chunk" of the white population. That's why virtually anywhere you go in America; the ratio of white children to minority children is generally going to be significantly lower than the ratio of whites to minorities in the overall population.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:16 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Indeed, the rest could be babies, retirees, adults, blah, blah, blah... Just as there are non-white babies, retirees, adults...

But if 53% of the population is white, and only 20% of those attending school are white, what gives?

Do the white residents have way, way, way fewer school-age children?

Are a huge percentage of white students in private schools or homeschooled?

What?
Most likely it is that white people without school-aged children are more likely to move to Durham than white people with school-aged children. That would account for the higher white population overall than the white-school age population. In conjunction with that, of the white people with school-aged children who do live in Durham, many are likely to put their kids in private school.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:22 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Most likely it is that white people without school-aged children are more likely to move to Durham than white people with school-aged children. That would account for the higher white population overall than the white-school age population. In conjunction with that, of the white people with school-aged children who do live in Durham, many are likely to put their kids in private school.
I think that's part of it. Lots of younger people with no kids and retirees with no kids, plus the people with kids who can send them to private and/or charter schools.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:21 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
Everyone on this page has hit the nail on the head. You can see it on this site alone. People with the means to buy a $250k+ house and with children are almost always asking about schools in Chapel Hill or Wake County.

Really this issue boils down more to socioeconomics. If it's almost all lower income children in your school system, you're going to have the problems that go along with that. You don't need white children to have a successful school. You need children with parents that are active in the education process. Unfortunately in lower income households those parents aren't always around.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:41 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,099,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Everyone on this page has hit the nail on the head. You can see it on this site alone. People with the means to buy a $250k+ house and with children are almost always asking about schools in Chapel Hill or Wake County.
Nice broad strokes here...but you're flat wrong. I am white non-Hispanic and moved to Durham five years ago from Raleigh so that my kids could attend DPS and not be caught up in the mess over in WCPSS. FWIW, we live in an upper-middle class neighborhood with mostly medical professionals, lawyers, PhDs & business managers and more than 80% of the kids in our neighborhood attend DPS. I can assure you that most or all of us have the means to send our kids elsewhere, but we all appreciate the benefits of a public education and supporting local schools. Interestingly, one of the only black families with children in our neighborhood sends their kids to private schools.

More than anything this is article shows why one should not look at a single statistic in isolation. Nowhere did they show the relative growth rates of the Durham County white non-Hispanic population vs. other races because that would've left them with very little to write about.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:01 AM

564 posts, read 872,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
Nice broad strokes here...but you're flat wrong. I am white non-Hispanic and moved to Durham five years ago from Raleigh so that my kids could attend DPS and not be caught up in the mess over in WCPSS. FWIW, we live in an upper-middle class neighborhood with mostly medical professionals, lawyers, PhDs & business managers and more than 80% of the kids in our neighborhood attend DPS. I can assure you that most or all of us have the means to send our kids elsewhere, but we all appreciate the benefits of a public education and supporting local schools. Interestingly, one of the only black families with children in our neighborhood sends their kids to private schools.

More than anything this is article shows why one should not look at a single statistic in isolation. Nowhere did they show the relative growth rates of the Durham County white non-Hispanic population vs. other races because that would've left them with very little to write about.

I don't like broad strokes either, but Evaofnc does have a point. When I relocated to this area several years ago, the recommedations I received were for various part of Wake County and Chapel Hill. A search of this board shows the same. It is not to say that there are no recommendations for Durham, but it seems that they are not commonly seen.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:29 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
more than 80% of the kids in our neighborhood attend DPS. I can assure you that most or all of us have the means to send our kids elsewhere, but we all appreciate the benefits of a public education and supporting local schools.
Would you please expand on the benefits of public education, specifically at DPS, for your children.

Most families send their kids to public schools because they have limited options. But you and your neighbors have options. Why public schools? What do they offer your children that homeschooling or private schools do not?

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 05-29-2013 at 07:47 AM..

Old 05-29-2013, 07:33 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:

I don't think you are typical. She didn't say this was universally true. It just seems to be the case most of the time. She also said nothing about race being the key point. It was a financial observation.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:46 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
[quote=janster100;29774932 It is not to say that there are no recommendations for Durham, but it seems that they are not commonly seen.[/QUOTE]

I don't think I've ever read a post extolling the virtues of Durham public schools in this forum or elsewhere. This is either the first, or one of the first, articles I've read in the paper about the district.

Anywhere from 20% to 96% of students receive free and reduced lunches. Varies widely by school.

Test scores range around the high 50's to low 60's.

23 magnet schools.

Hmmm.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:47 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I don't think you are typical. She didn't say this was universally true. It just seems to be the case most of the time. She also said nothing about race being the key point. It was a financial observation.
Exactly. Reading comprehension, folks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary