Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 06:49 AM

75 posts, read 126,232 times

Advertisements

I run. Never would i consider getting off a side walk with no one else on it as far as the eye can see to jog on a street with continuous or even occasional traffic. Maybe i just never noticed it in other locations - but it seems to be very popular in cary at least.

What joy am i missing out on - can you get a runner's high quicker by staying in close proximity to the cars?

And the bikers - same question. I love biking - wish there way more bike lanes & greenways here. I see people on streets which make me flinch...very busy - with no shoulder. Dunno how relaxing it can be on those roads!

- Peter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 07:24 AM

224 posts, read 432,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter. View Post
wish there way more bike lanes & greenways here.

- Peter
Answered your own question. You could add sidewalks to that too. The streets are narrower than where I'm from (CA), so when people are in the street, they are right next to traffic.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:26 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
I have heard it's because people don't like dealing with running on and off the curbing or moving towards the curb cuts. I guess possibly getting maimed by a ton of steel moving at highway speed is the better alternative.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:34 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
As a person relatively new to running who recently trained for a half marathon, I can tell you that I much prefer running on asphalt vs. concrete sidewalks. Aside from not dealing with curbs ect. Asphalt is softer and much easier on the joints. Doesn't seem like a big deal but it becomes important when you are regularly running long distance. I just make sure that if I do run on the road I run against traffic so I can see cars coming.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:09 AM

75 posts, read 126,232 times
Thanks NRG...Maybe thats the difference. I only run 3-4 times a week only (4mile runs, alternate days are walking or biking). But honestly - i cannot tell the difference between the sidewalk and the road in my bare feet, let alone wearing my $$ new balance

I will trust that those of you running 50+ miles/week know better. I have noticed some of the people running on the road are maybe trying to stay healthy/active (as they look older), so power to them for trying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
As a person relatively new to running who recently trained for a half marathon, I can tell you that I much prefer running on asphalt vs. concrete sidewalks. Aside from not dealing with curbs ect. Asphalt is softer and much easier on the joints. Doesn't seem like a big deal but it becomes important when you are regularly running long distance. I just make sure that if I do run on the road I run against traffic so I can see cars coming.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:30 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,762,210 times
I live in Morrisville and run along Davis pretty often. South of Morrisville Carpenter where there are sidewalks I use them, but I do run north of there too and the shoulder is so wide I never feel close to cars. I do tend to prefer asphalt as it does feel softer. I usually run on the side streets up and down Town Hall Dr as well, but there is little traffic at 5:30 am anyway. I also always use a headlamp so I am visible. I try to stay alert and out of people's way though.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:12 PM

162 posts, read 291,927 times
Last Saturday I was driving down Maynard in the left hand lane - along side 2 bikers who were riding 2 abreast in the right hand lane! And they got annoyed when a car came up behind them and honked -- it was really more of a tap -- to have them move over (fwiw there was a sidewalk). Maynard is a 4 lane wide road with anywhere from 35 to 45 mile per hour speed limits -- I think groups of bikers are wrong to think the CARS should get of the way. Especially when we live in an area with so many greenways.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:53 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey919 View Post
Last Saturday I was driving down Maynard in the left hand lane - along side 2 bikers who were riding 2 abreast in the right hand lane! And they got annoyed when a car came up behind them and honked -- it was really more of a tap -- to have them move over (fwiw there was a sidewalk). Maynard is a 4 lane wide road with anywhere from 35 to 45 mile per hour speed limits -- I think groups of bikers are wrong to think the CARS should get of the way. Especially when we live in an area with so many greenways.
As a biker, I don't ride two abreast (and won't ride with those that do) unless it's a VERY rural road, and then we call out to each other if a car is coming and get single file to let them pass, or if it's an organized event with police presence and the roads signed and blocked (with potenially thousands of people, you HAVE to ride two abreast), so I totally share your frustration with that.

As for the sidewalks:
  1. it is illegal to ride a bike on the sidewalk (although I do it sometimes, but carefully)
  2. Most big roads in Cary (Davis, Cary Pkwy and Maynard) all have bike lans and bike signage. I don't ride two abreast, but will ride on those roads if need be. (Even if there is not a painted lane, there is a wider right side and bike route signage, like on Cary Pkwy for instance.)
  3. I prefer to ride on less travelled roads, but sometimes you just have to "get somewhere", so I will use the Pkwy or others if I need to.
  4. I typically don't get frustrated with drivers, unless they are being aggressively hostile.

(THat was hard to type, the list feature is distracting)

Anyway, sidewalks are not really for bikes, and they are VERY dangerous. I've found most drivers and most cyclists ("most" in both cases) do pretty well to get along. There's a few jerks in every population, just like society as a whole.

Edit> That is why cyclist don't ride on the sidewalks, since that was asked. More and more, the greenways are a good way to get around, and I'll ride them a lot. IF I want to do a long road ride, for excercise and distance, I'll get out into the country, where I don't bother many people, and they don't bother me. THat's what I'm there for anyway... :-)

Old 06-01-2013, 01:44 PM

6,820 posts, read 9,056,827 times
I find it really annoying to have people running in the street. I don't expect them there. I am not surprised by bikes because they are moving vehicles and have the right of way. I drive around runners and give them plenty of space, but then I worry about someone coming towards me who might hit me because I'm too far to the left. I know it doesn't happen often, but having runners in the road seems to create a hazardous situation for them and me.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:56 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,823,728 times
If bicycles aren't allowed on sidewalks, why do they bypass the rules of the road.
-Skipping through stop signs
-cutting across numerous lanes
-not waiting at red lights
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary