Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 03:01 PM

615 posts, read 1,502,800 times

Advertisements

To clarify, teachers do not get dental or vision....its $50-75 per month in you want dental for yourself). The health ins. plan is really the only insurance teachers get "free"...and if you want specialized coverage its extra. If you want to add any family members its @250 per mo. per person more.(husband/ child is @500 per mo.....its actually less to get a private BC/BS plan if you get a high deductible).

The "pension" plan I don't know too much about as its very far away for me....but I've heard its about 60% of your last 5 yrs. salary before you retire...I believe its 30 yrs. service to get that.

I also happen to agree with the person who said teachers have a "choice" whether or not buy stuff for their classroom..I do not. I just ask parents for donations or just do without.(i.e. kids use toilet paper or school paper towels if I am out of tissues or paper towels.. if parents don't send in a donation). SOme PTA's do reimburse teachers up to $150 if they have receipts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 04:01 PM

334 posts, read 867,142 times
I have a masters degree and have lunch at my desk almost everyday. Yes I take work home and do work on the computer on the weekends/vacations. It's not that unusual.
As for the Doctor. Been over 10 years.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:10 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,525,371 times
An just as an aside, what job other than the President or a congressman is as scrutinized by the public as teaching? Not only are they given unreasonable, poorly compensated tasks under a daily basis, but they work under a public microscope. I feel blessed that my child has a passionate, brilliant teacher in elementary, but he is new and I wonder if he will still be in the field 5 years from now. Thank you to all of the teachers out there continuing to give it your all despite the scrutiny, challenges, and unfair compensation. You truly do make a huge difference and can have a lifelong impact in another life. Thank you! I know thanks doesn't pay your bills, but you are cherished and respected by many families.

Last edited by west seattle gal; 06-19-2013 at 04:24 PM..

Old 06-19-2013, 05:02 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,207,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
Well just say No, then. Nobody can make you spend your own money. It's your money; tell the school, students, and parents "Get your own supplies or do without." Disappoint them for a change. :-D Employees who martyr themselves just to do a job do themselves and their profession no favors. People just continue to take advantage of them. If you want respect and you want supplies, then demand them or tell the parents that the school doesn't provide this and YOU need to. Don't suck up and do it unpaid or pay out of your pocket and then expect people to respect your martyrdom and servile attitude. They will just see that you are the servile type and then you will have never be able to break out if it.

I see this quality in too many teachers and nurses, and mostly it's women who do this. Do you have no spines? Learn how to seize power and stop being taken advantage of. Learn how to draw the line and stop giving away the store. Learn what is and isn't your job, and then if you are asked to do more than your job description, just laugh, say "Not my job. Do it yourself," and then walk away.
I'm gad you know so much.
Let me tell you what happens when you dont spend your own money:
I bought notebooks for kids that dont come with supplies. kids could buy them from me for .25. A child with clothes more expensive than I could ever afford, mom drove a new SUV, kids and mom had a new hair weave every week and when whined she needed paper and I told her she could bring in a quarter, mom came in threatening to kick my a$$ for telling her kid she needed to buy her own supplies. Called the principal, said they were too poor for supplies, and principal gets on me.
We were allotted 2 reams of paper a month for 30-35 kids/class and were required to send homework daily. Principal told us were were not to burden parents with requests for paper and manage-or shrink homework to get several mini pages to a sheet of paper!
Kids with IEPS that are on behavior contracts are to earn rewards for their points-who do you think buys those? Who buys bulletin board decor? I had a narcoleptic kid and was told I as to give him a Mt. Dew daily-that's where I drew the line!
My last district required all teachers to have a classroom library with thousands of books-we had to buy them. We had to set up literacy centers for reading hour-we had to buy the materials, games, etc.
If you refuse to buy what they tell you, your principal treats you unfairly and writes a poor performance review.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:18 PM

615 posts, read 1,502,800 times
Thank you west seattle girl! Parents like yourself make teachers jobs much easier. Most of my parents, I must say, are good, helpful parents and are always willing to help out the classroom when I ask. I work at a school where there is good parent involvement, but not overbearing..so I am fortunate. There are always those parents that think their child is never in the wrong etc..but I have to admit that over the past 7 years that I have been teaching even those parents can be reasoned with and have been few and far between. 97% of my parents are involved(but not "in your face" involved if that makes sense) and are on "my" side when it comes to their child's education and behavior.

Honestly....if teaching paid about $10,000 more per year, teachers got a 20-30 minute lunch(without the kids), had guaranteed and sufficient planning time(45 minutes per day) and no after school duties....I think it would be a perfect job. But I guess no job is perfect ...so I deal

Old 06-19-2013, 05:19 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,446,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdanville View Post
I have a masters degree and have lunch at my desk almost everyday. Yes I take work home and do work on the computer on the weekends/vacations. It's not that unusual.
As for the Doctor. Been over 10 years.
Do you know how many teachers would *love* to eat lunch at their desks every day?

Seriously, I think you have a beef with public education more than you do with teachers.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:22 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
Do you know how many teachers would *love* to eat lunch at their desks every day?

Seriously, I think you have a beef with public education more than you do with teachers.
Agreed. I, too, have a Master's degree. Most days, I eat lunch at my desk. But... I don't have to. As a teacher? It would have been a luxury!

I also work from home and work on weekends, but not nearly like I did as a teacher.

I am fortunate that my corporate position has pension, 401k, and GOOD benefits.

I take vacation when I choose. I go to the doctor. I take bathroom breaks at my leisure.

Our state is neglecting public schools and those who teach. It will be to our detriment.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:38 PM

510 posts, read 900,340 times
Unfortunately most people don't know what is going on at the schools. They think it's no big deal to teach, just like people who think being a waiter or waitress is easy and tip 10%. People really need to have some respect for other people and what they do. Also they need to look outside their middle to upper middle class neighborhoods and schools. become a WCPSS volunteer and go to a school with a high percentage of free and reduced lunch. I'm sorry but if you have not spent any time with these kids and at these schools, you cannot say that the schools don't need more. The school system is lacking so much. They don't even have paper and ink to print.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:53 PM

510 posts, read 900,340 times
and the new superintendant is getting reimbursed $16,500.00 a year for the required 6% retirement contribution...

Old 06-20-2013, 09:30 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,149,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
They delved into this report on NPR a bit the day it came out. As usual with most reports on colleges, they just kind of scratch the surface of a program and don't do a review of substance. They based what the students were learning on course descriptions. Anyone who has attended college can tell you that course descriptions are a horrible way of gauging what is going on in the classroom of a course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary