Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2007, 01:45 PM

14 posts, read 105,412 times

Advertisements

I have never had LP gas for home water heating, fireplace and stove. Could someone please compare and contrast the two types of gas for home use. Please compare approximate pricing and any experience you may have with either. How often did you fill the LP tank? I realize amount of use and desired temperature will affect the numbers. I will be in Chatham county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 07:50 PM
vq1

134 posts, read 680,880 times
Default LP v Natural Gas

Natural gas has a limited distribution, due to the necessary gas lines mains.
You will be billed monthly for the amount that you have used, according to the gas meter.

LP gas, or "bottled" gas is available almost anywhere that the delivery truck can get to. You will be billed for the amount of gallons that is pumped into your tank. Usually there are discounts for 500+ gallons at a time and there is a minimum delivery amount.

The smallest tank that I have had has been 500 gallons. The largest was a 1000 gallon tank. You can purchase the tank new, plan on $1 a gallon for an above ground and more for below ground installation, but then you can price shop between the different suppliers for the gas. If you rent, it will probably be less than $100 a year for the rental, but you will only be able to purchase gas for that tank from the supplier.

To allow for thermal expansion, the maximum fill for an above ground tank is 90 percent. Below ground tanks can be filled to 95 percent.

Have not filled up this season, so not up on the price per gallon. In Chatham County, both the Pittsboro and Siler City Southern States stores will supply LP gas (as did the Carrboro store, at least years ago when they all were CCF). You will notice that prices are lower during the warmer months.

As a rule of thumb, count on LP gas costing about twice the price of natural gas.

Either way, both are a "quick recovery" source of hot water. If I was doing a new installation, I would seriously consider the tankless varieties of water heater.

If you do get gas water heating, you could also consider gas cooking, at least with the range units. Once you use gas, it is tough to go back to an electric range.

Last edited by vq1; 11-04-2007 at 08:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary