Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 06:41 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
"Asian products." Is it really about where they come from, or about the quality? You may not have intended it, but you're using "Asian" as a slur.
"Asian" and similarly "Chinese" have become the latest "acceptable" slurs. China=Evil, apparently. Add "Mexican" to that list too. Yay, xenophobia!! All the cool kids are doing it!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 08:19 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
"Asian products." Is it really about where they come from, or about the quality? You may not have intended it, but you're using "Asian" as a slur.
A good many high-end furniture companies (Thomasville, Drexel Heritage, etc) produce their case goods in factories in Asia. They produce upholstered goods in the US.

They are fine quality case goods (for mass produced, anyway).

I bet there are a good many people who'd turn their noses up at IKEA goods that have Asian-made furniture and don't even know it.

Old 09-27-2014, 02:52 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
So the latest are/were/are to be St. Louis, Kansas, Florida, Las Vegas? Haven't seen any mention of Holly Springs. The catalog is pretty complete, though.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:18 AM

744 posts, read 1,262,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
"Asian" and similarly "Chinese" have become the latest "acceptable" slurs. China=Evil, apparently. Add "Mexican" to that list too. Yay, xenophobia!! All the cool kids are doing it!

I'm Asian (Indian) and I don't see it as a slur. It's just an abbreviated way of saying it's a subpar product. It works both ways, such as saying a car or camera is made in Japan has a positive connotation.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:36 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Ikea is now selling a lot of Asian products and the quality of their stuff is declining.

Very overrated.
They are a European design house that has always outsourced to Asian and small European countries no one has ever heard of.

The difference is their stuff is like 1/4 the cost of the comparable "label" furniture sold on Glenwood...

Old 09-30-2014, 11:29 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,255,417 times
I don't understand why someone would drive 100+ miles for furniture that comes in a box you have to assemble. There are a good number of places between RTP and Ikea where you can buy similar furniture.

I've been in the Charlotte and Potomac Mills stores. When I was in the one in Va., it seemed like it was 'divorced Dad day' who were getting a bed for the kid for visitation.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:22 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post

I've been in the Charlotte and Potomac Mills stores. When I was in the one in Va., it seemed like it was 'divorced Dad day' who were getting a bed for the kid for visitation.
Another reason we need an Ikea in the triangle! *sings* All the single ladies

Old 10-01-2014, 01:28 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post
I don't understand why someone would drive 100+ miles for furniture that comes in a box you have to assemble. There are a good number of places between RTP and Ikea where you can buy similar furniture.

Especially when you must again travel if the item is defective or damaged inside the box.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:54 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
I recently bought some really terrific contemporary unassembled furniture from bryght dot com and couldn't be happier. If you have ever put together Ikea furniture, this stuff is easy. If you like the look of Ikea, you'll love lots of their stuff too. It's sold out of Canada, gets shipped to your house cheaply and has a 30 day money back guarantee. It's much higher quality in my opinion as well. Ikea who?

Old 10-02-2014, 01:31 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post

Not slurs but truth. I was considering buying a Honda Fit until I learned production in 2015 models moved to Mexico from Japan. The VW New Beetle was assembled in Mexico and was very unreliable.

If the US would only enforce tariffs, many good jobs could return ending the need to support families on fast food wages.

Ikea is joining the pack in offshoring to Asia. Perhaps their lure will evaporate when their products become known as low grade imports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary