U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 01:45 PM

239 posts, read 987,163 times

Advertisements

We are doing our first staycation next week and wanted to come up with some great places to go. We have been to the science museum in Durham, Marble, Frankies, Pullen Park. Would love to have small day trips or new fun places to eat or get treats. Would love input or great fun ideas.

We have 2 boys age 9 and 5.

Here are some of the ideas and places to visit-that I have found so far:

The depot in Hillsborough
Durham Bulls game
Eno River hike
Johnstons mills nature preserve
Forest Hills spray park
ice cream at maple view farms
Chapel Hill Planetarium
Videri Chocolate factory
Asheville Zoo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 01:59 PM

64 posts, read 124,823 times
Duke Gardens was fun...took my 10, 8 and 4 year old a couple of months ago. They loved the koi pond area and the new discover garden (family) section---has a few crops growing and a chicken coop. We took a picnic lunch. Maybe go and explore in the AM then eat lunch before leaving or go on a "cooler" day.

We also recently toured the Duke Lemur center. It was fantastic....the kids loved it!

Old 06-11-2013, 02:05 PM

38,273 posts, read 14,957,601 times
Durant Nature Park?
Defy Gravity trampolines?
Duke Gardens - They might love all the hiking and climbing as well as the small lake.
Locopops. Definitely Locopops.
Find out where food trucks will be from their FB pages and get meals to go.
Summer Reading 2013 - Durham County Library is at Northgate next Saturday. Might be a great way to start off your staycation.

Good luck.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:22 PM

10,692 posts, read 11,330,411 times
Saturdays in Saxapahaw

Hike Occoneechee Mountain (not really a mountain) in Hillsborough

Take a canoe ride down the Haw or Eno

You could visit one of the big cat rescues. I've never been, but my kid has on a field trip. She loved it. There is one in Pittsboro and one in Mebane. Just google Pittsboro and tigers and Mebane and lions and you should find them.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:10 PM

259 posts, read 391,807 times
Duke lemur center (need to call for advance reservations!)

Old 06-11-2013, 05:21 PM

120 posts, read 216,698 times
Seconding LocoPops. Love LocoPops.

Also: We have a chocolate factory? Must go!

Old 06-11-2013, 06:52 PM

8,569 posts, read 12,683,353 times
I would skip the Forest Hills Spray Park. It was a bust when we went - a couple of sprays and they weren't even working. Someone mentioned a bigger one by the Life and Science Museum at Rock Quarry Park. It sounds better. We're going to check it out on Thursday so I'll let you know. The Stir Crazy Moms' Guide to Durham: Rock Quarry Park (Edison Johnson)

If you can sign up for a tour at Maple View Farm, it is really great!

Eno River State Park is fun, but that swinging bridge scares the heck out of me!

Duke Homestead is pretty cool. My kids were complaining before we went, but they enjoyed it - neat to see the grounds and the tobacco museum inside was very interesting.

There is a neat little park in Pittsboro that has a zipline and some other neat playground equipment that I don't usually see such as a German pendulum swing. It's called Rock Ridge Park on Old Sanford Road. We go there once every couple of months for something different. Combined with a walk in downtown Pittsboro with lunch or ice cream, it could make for a nice afternoon.

One more idea that your boys might like - New Hope Valley Railway. My 5-year old train-obsessed son loved it!

Have fun!

Old 06-11-2013, 07:03 PM

635 posts, read 1,421,313 times
Pelican's snoballs (sweet treats)
Visit one of the regional library branches in a part of town you don't usually frequent
NC Museum of Natural Sciences in Raleigh (free!)

Old 06-11-2013, 07:29 PM

10,692 posts, read 11,330,411 times
I've been meaning to go to that park in Pittsboro!

Old 06-11-2013, 08:15 PM

533 posts, read 1,015,394 times
If you are going to do a hike, why not try geocaching? You can download a geocaching app for your phone and do it just about anywhere. My sister and brother in law introduced us to it on a recent visit. They do it with their three girls (11, 9, and 6) all the time and my boys had a great time as well. I've never seen pre-teen girls beg to go on a hike before their visit.

If you do end up going to Edison Johnson, I'd combine it with a trip to Pelican's snowballs, which is very close by. While I do like Maple View, I think that that the ice cream at the Parlor is better. Also, Duke Park is a fun place to play, my boys love it there.

A couple other options:

Wheels Fun Park - Wheels Fun Park Durham, NC
Palace Pointe in Roxboro for bowling or roller skating - Movies, Bowling, Skating, Parties, Billiards, Entertainment For The Whole Family | Palace Pointe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary