Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 09:29 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times

Advertisements

I'm talking more like this:

But I have seen some like your pictures and I defer to your knowledge on "below grade".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 08:27 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,814,386 times
Here is why I prefer a basement to a bonus room either on a third floor or over the garage.
Most of the time a bonus room shares HVAC with another unit that serves a more primary area of the home. Builders claim to upsize the HVAC units to cover this extra square footage, but that doesn't change the fact that you only have ONE thermostat for a given zone. Trying to keep consistent temperatures and humidity across those larger spaces that sometimes are on two separate floors is darn near impossible. It is also very taxing on the giant HVAC unit that has the task of trying to heat or cool all of that space. What temperature setting should you use to cool two separate floors when 99% of the time the thermostat is located in the hallway of the floor that is going to be naturally cooler by 5-10 degrees? By the time the third floor is cool enough to be comfortable your second floor bedrooms could be used to hang meat.
Try to heat a big bonus room located over a garage using the same unit that serves bedrooms on the same levelthat sit over heated square footage-same problem.
Then there is the issue of shared ductwork between sleeping areas and rooms that could be used for gaming, movies with surround sound, music lessons or practice, noisy teen sleepovers-you get the idea.
We moved from a house that had the potential to finish over 700 square feet on the third floor to one with a walkout basement and a pulldown attic. The basement works way better for us. Each of the three living areas is on its own (smaller) HVAC unit-they are not overworked. Our utility bills are far lower for the same square footage. What goes on in the basement cannot be heard on the main level.
I run a dehumidifier in our basement sporadically in the heat of the summer, but I don't see that as being any different than using humidifiers in winter. If your house can get dry enough from forced air heat in winter that you need to add moisture for reasons of your health (not to mention wood floors and moldings shrinking to the point you can see visible gaps), then running a dehumidifier to pull moisture out of a basement doesn't seem any different to me. You are just trying to maintain a comfortable level of humidity.
We looked at a basement as being a huge plus when we went house shopping and there are other people who feel that way too. When it comes time to sell (and we have no plans to do so) our basement will be a distinguishing feature-I am not at all worried about having to sell below whatever the market is at that point in time because I have a basement.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:30 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
^We have 3 finished floors and 3 HVAC units. Problem solved.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:41 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,176 times
Our first home here in Cary had a full daylight basement. We loved having it for both entertaining and for the kids. First, when the kids were down there, you can barely hear them. Much different than when they are upstairs. Second, when we entertained, it was much more natural to have people downstairs. Most times they came around the walkway and entered the basement directly. To me, it is strange to entertain upstairs, where bedrooms are located.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:42 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Buyers should always consider suitability of the HVAC system to condition the home space.
I suspect that a builder who cannot condition the air may not be trustworthy to install a dry basement either.

Usually the equipment sizing is not as much an issue as improper ducting and dampering to move conditioned air into and out of a bonus room.

The bonus room over the garage can have unconditioned space on several sides, along with poorly installed dormers, and other poor detail work. All that exterior surface is more exposure and can impact the calculations. Too often we are opening cubby doors, seeing a piece of Styrofoam tacked to the door, and daylight (air infiltration) through the soffit vents. No wonder conditioning the air in the space is difficult!
And with a bonus room close to the roof surface, radiant barriers can help a lot with reducing load.
It is also a huge error to have a bonus room over an uninsulated garage with an uninsulated garage door. And it happens too often.

Most basement homes I show have at least some efflorescence on the walls, and many have a musty to moldy odor. Those issues can be difficult and expensive to fix.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:52 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Our first home here in Cary had a full daylight basement. We loved having it for both entertaining and for the kids. First, when the kids were down there, you can barely hear them. Much different than when they are upstairs. Second, when we entertained, it was much more natural to have people downstairs. Most times they came around the walkway and entered the basement directly. To me, it is strange to entertain upstairs, where bedrooms are located.
I bolded the text that is my main driver for wanting a basement. We want it for them now and as a place for them and their friends to hang out in when they get to the teen years.

Our friends at the Preserve all have basements. 2 are daylight and 1 is not. All done properly and not dark/dank at all. We'd put in a heat pump for the basement to separate it from the main floor's hvac.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:08 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,662 times
I miss my basement in Michigan. It was warm in the winter and cool in the summer, and all the vents were closed down there. I ran the dehumidifier in the summer and it kept the moisture in check. You can't add any square footage from a basement there or count an bedrooms/baths. In fact our MLS did not even have a spot to add basement square footage.

I would take a true basement over a finished attic or room over the garage any day of the week.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:29 AM

170 posts, read 362,851 times
Its funny........I hear realtor after realtor say basements get less value and aren't in demand yet everyone I meet wants one. Maybe the people from NC don't want one but the state is now a melting pot with transplants who are lookng for basements. They can't get enough basement lots in my neighborhood.

I know personally........I looked specifically for a basement because when I entered my house I wanted to go upstairs or downstairs. I didnt want to climb 2 sets of stairs and be 2 floors away from the kitchen. Not only that.....a 3rd floor is tougher to keep cool in the south.

I have yet to meet someone who says they hate basements but this seems to be the local realtors talking points.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:37 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,236,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danmcb26 View Post
Its funny........I hear realtor after realtor say basements get less value and aren't in demand yet everyone I meet wants one. Maybe the people from NC don't want one but the state is now a melting pot with transplants who are lookng for basements. They can't get enough basement lots in my neighborhood.

I know personally........I looked specifically for a basement because when I entered my house I wanted to go upstairs or downstairs. I didnt want to climb 2 sets of stairs and be 2 floors away from the kitchen. Not only that.....a 3rd floor is tougher to keep cool in the south.

I have yet to meet someone who says they hate basements but this seems to be the local realtors talking points.
I'm NOT saying people HATE basements. I'm just saying they aren't as desirable as you may think. Keep in mind that this forum is mostly folks relocating from other areas.

If those areas typically have basements, they THINK they want one here. Once they see that they don't necessarily NEED a basement, they are happy with a bonus room or a 3rd floor attic.

I can only speak from EXPERIENCE. Buying a brand new home with an unfinished basement will cost you anywhere from $20,000 to $30,000 (including lot premiums) and when it is time to sell, an APPRAISER will only give you $10,000 to $15,000 for that same space. That is the reality.

If my clients want a basement, we'll find them a basement! But I want to educate them to the facts of this area. Especially if they are relocating from another state. They need to know these things.

Out of about 30 buyers from last year, I had ONE that wanted a basement and we got them a basement!!!

Vicki

Old 06-17-2013, 09:57 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post

Out of about 30 buyers from last year, I had ONE that wanted a basement and we got them a basement!!!

Vicki
Question: new neighborhood with new lots for sale. Which sells quicker: basement lots or standard lots?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary