U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 11-06-2007, 06:21 PM
 
3,353 posts, read 1,674,652 times
Reputation: 964

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
As for the northern "attitude" I hear many southerners refer to, I think its a joke. I generally prefer the more direct northern attitude than the often two-faced southern attitude. Here's my example:

Northern: "What the hell is wrong with you?"
Southern: said to a 3rd party "Bless his heart, but that boy ain't right."
Ha I agree but I do have to say that "bless his/her heart" is my favorite southernism and I wish I could say it effectively. It just doesn't work on someone without a southern accent. I love it - the best was when I heard someone say "bless her heart, she has a face like a foot."

 
Old 11-06-2007, 08:03 PM
 
112 posts, read 169,700 times
Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post

Today is election day... I wonder how many people got up from their computer desks to vote to make their town the way they want it to be?

I did. I vote in every election.
 
Old 11-06-2007, 08:50 PM
 
120 posts, read 26,810 times
Reputation: 34
Default So, some people state that the population growth has nothing to do with our water shortage issues.

They would be so far from the actual truth. Question yourself, why would the multiple counties enforce water restrictions? Duh.

As I said before, I love all. However, I can speak from many occassions that transplants don't have the best attitudes. I listen to my neighbors yelling every day outside in the yard. Do they have telephones up North? LOL.

The tone of a Northerner's voice majority of the time is offensive. They sound like they are slightly yelling, their facial features suggest they strain to smile.

By the way, oil is pronounced ouyl, not oiyll. OK, who really cares? Apparently many do, look at our television channels. You can rarely see a native on a news channel.
 
Old 11-06-2007, 09:18 PM
 
168 posts, read 826,807 times
Reputation: 148
Yes, we can tell how sincere you are when you say (and I quote) "I love all."
 
Old 11-06-2007, 09:22 PM
 
120 posts, read 26,810 times
Reputation: 34
Default Yes

I even love Strawberries!

Especially with sugar sprinkled on top.
 
Old 11-06-2007, 09:29 PM
 
579 posts, read 2,031,028 times
Reputation: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryingtofigureitout View Post
They would be so far from the actual truth. Question yourself, why would the multiple counties enforce water restrictions? Duh.

As I said before, I love all. However, I can speak from many occassions that transplants don't have the best attitudes. I listen to my neighbors yelling every day outside in the yard. Do they have telephones up North? LOL.

The tone of a Northerner's voice majority of the time is offensive. They sound like they are slightly yelling, their facial features suggest they strain to smile.

By the way, oil is pronounced ouyl, not oiyll. OK, who really cares? Apparently many do, look at our television channels. You can rarely see a native on a news channel.
So now the truth comes out! LOL why don't you tell us how you REALLY feel?

Hmm... based on the fact that you are southern I'm guessing you are Racist? Close Minded? Bible Thumper? Two Faced?

It doesn't feel too good to have the shoe on the other foot now does it? Do you like to have broad generalizations and assumptions made about you? No, I didn't think so. No one does.

Did it ever occur to you that northerners are that way to you because that's how you CHOOSE to perceive them? Because you have preconceived ideas of these stereotypes, you are probably making them more true in your own mind than they really are. It's called PERCEPTION and you are making yours what it is by believing what you believe. Let us know when you come back to reality with us over here in the REAL world where people are complex and can't be pigeon-holed by what region they are from and where stereotypes and broad generalizations HURT EVERYONE.
 
Old 11-06-2007, 09:31 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
10,418 posts, read 18,013,149 times
Reputation: 6202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryingtofigureitout View Post
They would be so far from the actual truth. Question yourself, why would the multiple counties enforce water restrictions? Duh.

As I said before, I love all. However, I can speak from many occassions that transplants don't have the best attitudes. I listen to my neighbors yelling every day outside in the yard. Do they have telephones up North? LOL.

The tone of a Northerner's voice majority of the time is offensive. They sound like they are slightly yelling, their facial features suggest they strain to smile.

By the way, oil is pronounced ouyl, not oiyll. OK, who really cares? Apparently many do, look at our television channels. You can rarely see a native on a news channel.

I look at your name and I smile. "Tryingtofigureitout"?

May I suggest that you keep trying??? And while you are at it, please don't speak for all Southerners. You are giving me a complex and making me embarassed that you claim that you are from here!

Vicki
 
Old 11-06-2007, 09:34 PM
 
Location: Cary, NC
2,408 posts, read 7,436,891 times
Reputation: 1318
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I look at your name and I smile. "Tryingtofigureitout"?

May I suggest that you keep trying??? And while you are at it, please don't speak for all Southerners. You are giving me a complex and making me embarassed that you claim that you are from here!

Vicki
Thanks Vicki. I was starting to think all southerners were ignorant and xenophobic.
 
Old 11-06-2007, 10:36 PM
 
460 posts, read 1,238,671 times
Reputation: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryingtofigureitout View Post
However, I can speak from many occassions that transplants don't have the best attitudes..
You can bet your bottom dollar that people don't like your attitude, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryingtofigureitout View Post
The tone of a Northerner's voice majority of the time is offensive. They sound like they are slightly yelling, their facial features suggest they strain to smile.
If they're in a conversation with you, I'm SURE they're straining to smile, and I'm SURE they're offended by something you've said. No offense, but you're not the brightest bulb in the pack (hence the username?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryingtofigureitout View Post
They would be so far from the actual truth. Question yourself, why would the multiple counties enforce water restrictions? Duh.
"Duh" yourself.

Transplants didn't cause the DROUGHT. Lack of rain caused the DROUGHT.

The water restrictions are in place to conserve the water we have because Mother Nature has dealt us a DROUGHT.

Since you don't seem to know that DROUGHT is brought on by NATURE not TRANSPLANTS, please read this:

Quote:
Drought is a normal, recurrent feature of climate. It occurs almost everywhere, although its features vary from region to region. Defining drought is therefore difficult; it depends on differences in regions, needs, and disciplinary perspectives. Based on the many definitions that have appeared in the literature, for example, we might define drought in Libya as occurring when annual rainfall is less than 180 mm, but in Bali, drought might be considered to occur after a period of only 6 days without rain! In the most general sense, drought originates from a deficiency of precipitation over an extended period of time, resulting in a water shortage for some activity, group, or environmental sector. Whatever the definition, it is clear that drought cannot be viewed solely as a physical phenomenon.

Source: What is Drought? (http://www.drought.unl.edu/whatis/what.htm - broken link)
 
Old 11-07-2007, 07:19 AM
 
1,851 posts, read 2,629,573 times
Reputation: 2597
Default Ok, but only because you started it .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
Wow this is an idiotic post. No, new comers don't CAUSE a drought but when you have more people using a water supply, it gets used up quicker. Imagine you are in a village with 100 people and one well. Now there are 1000 people living in the village and the well is still the same size. You see how water might run out?

How come Los ANgeles, San Diego, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Palm Springs, and Tucson never had water problems 100 years ago but they do today?

But I'm ahead of myself. NC is one of the states I'm interested in moving to but I'm not one of those arrogant transplants because frankly, even here in Maryland I've seen a lot of those people from NY, NJ, and CT and Boston who are uppity, pretentious, arrogant, and act like everyone else is beneath them. This is the group that talks about "flyover country" and calls anyone who is not a HIllary Clinton liberal a "hick" or a "redneck". And one reason why I want to move south is to avoid people like them, and to avoid illegals.

So many Yankkes move here ot the DC area and complain about bagels and pizza. Well I think Dominos and Pizza Hut are hut. They should stop being so uppity. If they love New YOrk or New Jersey that much they should go back. They've also hijacked politics in Maryland, voting Democrats into office, passing laws that welcome illegal immigrants and promote high-density vs suburban development.

So how many northern transplants have actually learned to love country music and NASCAR? I'm a big country fan (most native Marylanders are) and I don't have that much time to follow pro sports but if I did, NASCAR seems a lot cooler than baseball or uggghh tennis. And I never cared much about bagels, rather have a nice sweet donut.
Why is it idiotic to question how increased population causes drought conditions? The problem in Wake County isn't too much water being consumed, it's that it hasn't rained very much this year. If you're going to call a post idiotic you sort of need to at least establish your position; you didn't and that's disappointing. There are towns all throughout the South East region with very small populations having exactly the same problem.... explain that away!

Your generalizations about Northern attitudes are clichéd. I don't miss bagels, I've found great pizza in several locations and I've been a fan of country music for years. I don't get NASCAR but I don't marginalize those who do. Oh, and I've met some very uppity, pretentious and arrogant people who are life-long North Carolinians. However most of the people I've met since moving here have been great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top