Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 06:57 PM

8 posts, read 21,469 times

Advertisements

hi everyone,

I recognize this has been discussed many times before, and I've read all the posts. I just wanted some situation specific advice, if anyone could help me. Let me start out by saying that I really (honestly) don't speed. In fact, I'm one of those people you see going at 30 miles an hour in a 35 zone. Don't know if you'll believe me, but ideally I don't get a bunch of responses telling me that I should stop speeding - I really feel awful about this ticket.

anyways, i was clocked on UNC hospital property going at 44 in a 25 zone. I was going up the hill, and must've pushed on the pedal too hard trying to go up. I have to trust that the officer was correct about the 44, although I have a really hard time believing it. I was about 30 min late for work and definitely in a rush, and wasn't paying attention to the drop in speed limit in the middle of the hill, so it's possible.

okay, fine, all of that said, I am a physician at UNC, and was actually truly on my way to the emergency room. I have plenty of proof that I was working in the ER about 15 minutes later. I have (had!) a totally clean driving record - I've never been pulled over or been in an accident, etc.

I actually happen to have the day off on the court date that was assigned to me, so the time isn't an issue for me. I am just wondering whether I need a lawyer, or I'd probably have the same result if I went and pled myself as I would with a lawyer. I come from an area where people pled themselves, and was surprised when my colleagues at work told me I'd be inundated with mail soon and that they'd always used lawyers for their speeding tickets. I'd like to avoid the costs of the lawyer if possible, but if people generally have bad results arguing tickets on their own, then I obviously don't want the insurance points and would be willing to shell out for a lawyer.

Advice? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 07:21 PM

451 posts, read 1,157,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmncbound View Post
hi everyone,

I recognize this has been discussed many times before, and I've read all the posts. I just wanted some situation specific advice, if anyone could help me. Let me start out by saying that I really (honestly) don't speed. In fact, I'm one of those people you see going at 30 miles an hour in a 35 zone. Don't know if you'll believe me, but ideally I don't get a bunch of responses telling me that I should stop speeding - I really feel awful about this ticket.

anyways, i was clocked on UNC hospital property going at 44 in a 25 zone. I was going up the hill, and must've pushed on the pedal too hard trying to go up. I have to trust that the officer was correct about the 44, although I have a really hard time believing it. I was about 30 min late for work and definitely in a rush, and wasn't paying attention to the drop in speed limit in the middle of the hill, so it's possible.

okay, fine, all of that said, I am a physician at UNC, and was actually truly on my way to the emergency room. I have plenty of proof that I was working in the ER about 15 minutes later. I have (had!) a totally clean driving record - I've never been pulled over or been in an accident, etc.

I actually happen to have the day off on the court date that was assigned to me, so the time isn't an issue for me. I am just wondering whether I need a lawyer, or I'd probably have the same result if I went and pled myself as I would with a lawyer. I come from an area where people pled themselves, and was surprised when my colleagues at work told me I'd be inundated with mail soon and that they'd always used lawyers for their speeding tickets. I'd like to avoid the costs of the lawyer if possible, but if people generally have bad results arguing tickets on their own, then I obviously don't want the insurance points and would be willing to shell out for a lawyer.

Advice? Thanks in advance!
If you go yourself the DA will likely knock it down to 9 and under and then you can use prayer for judgement- I would not break out being on the job at the ER- they really won't care, it doesn't give you a free pass on speed limits.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:47 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,380 times
Don't use PBJ on your first ticket like this. If you want guaranteed no points, improper use of equipment or similar, get a lawyer.

In all likelihood, given its your first offense, and you have a good story, the DA will let you off with, at worst, the lowest possible speeding ticket that carries no points. If you have the time to go, you can likely get this done yourself without a lawyer.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:52 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,166,163 times
Hire a lawyer , and for $300 or less, it will "go away". Its well worth the money.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:05 PM

441 posts, read 1,291,781 times
I used NC Ticket Law and paid about $250, first ticket - it was knocked down to 9 over no insurance increase. Price included lawyer, fine and court cost, I did not go to the court house, they sent me a email the day after the court date with the verdict.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:23 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,945,130 times
Yeah- if your time is not an issue you can get the same result as a lawyer (and I'm a lawyer). Its up to you- pay a lawyer 75 bucks to handle it or go spend 3 hours of a day off in court. Up to you. If you decide to handle it on your own PM me and I'll answer any questions you have. With that speed you will most likely have a fine in addition to the court costs (190). If you want anything other than a reduction to 9 over you'll need to get a driving record which will run you about 10 bucks

Old 06-24-2013, 08:33 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,110 times
I guess you could tell the judge that you were simply providing job security by racing around on campus and hope he'll understand and dismiss it.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:05 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchz1 View Post
I used NC Ticket Law and paid about $250, first ticket - it was knocked down to 9 over no insurance increase. Price included lawyer, fine and court cost, I did not go to the court house, they sent me a email the day after the court date with the verdict.
I NEVER speed either and yet, I got a speeding ticket in Creedmoor a few years ago! I just wasn't paying attention.

I did not have the time nor the desire to spend a few hours at the courthouse. I hired an attorney, paid the $250. The attorney handled it all. Called me the day after court and told me it was dismissed.

Hire an attorney!

Vicki

Old 06-24-2013, 09:33 PM

8 posts, read 21,469 times
was hoping to get some replies from people who have gone themselves - if you turn down the DA's offer to go to 9 and under, what are the chances of getting it further reduced or dismissed? should you even bother to try and go in front of the judge?

i just don't know what to say myself if the DA offers the 9 thing. Should I just be happy there's no insurance points and pay the fine, or have people who've turned down the DA offer generally been successful with getting it further reduced (or even dismissed!?!) with the judge?

my gut instinct is that lawyer versus me won't matter for getting the initial reduction to the no insurance points since this was a first time offense. but again, i'm relatively new to NC and don't know the trends here.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:56 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,166,163 times
The DA will not let you plead down from 19 over. I'd be shocked if that happened, and you'll still have to pay court costs. Just hire a lawyer.

I got a 19 over ticket last year....and I think the cop was either lying or made a huge mistake. That's a pretty serious ticket in NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary