Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2013, 06:08 AM

208 posts, read 412,626 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to put in a small "rock bed" in the swale areas around my house. I currently have mulch but every time we get a heavy rain my mulch washes away.

I'm looking for a place that you can hand pick the rocks (ideally a smooth river rock) and are softball sized and smaller.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 06:14 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,536,200 times
Not sure where you are in the triangle, but The Stone Center on rte 55 in Durham has a nice selection of stone. No idea of relative cost compared to other places but it all sure looks pretty. :-)

The stone you are discussing is in back and if you look at the stone on the sides, you'll see some that has been washed to see it dust free to get a sense of the color. Or take a water bottle to rinse some off. ALthough, with this recent rain - there may not be any stones covered in dust. Instead, you'll want to take a hair dryer to see the dry color!

Old 07-03-2013, 07:38 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,856,109 times
There is a place on the west side of Old NC 86 / Old Fayettville Road north of NC 54 at the western edge of Carrboro that sells rocks. It's not so much a business as it is a guy with large piles of large rocks for sale. Other than a spray painted sign that says "Rocks for Sale" (and the large piles of rocks), there's not much to identify it.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:58 PM

600 posts, read 1,217,207 times
My husband has gotten some river rock at Norwood Garden (Norwood Road Garden Center: Raleigh, NC Landscapers & Plant Nursery). Very nice because you don't have to buy it by the ton He said the last time he was there stone by weight if under a ton was 25 cents a pound.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:04 PM

8,158 posts, read 10,869,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellsd View Post
My husband has gotten some river rock at Norwood Garden (Norwood Road Garden Center: Raleigh, NC Landscapers & Plant Nursery). Very nice because you don't have to buy it by the ton He said the last time he was there stone by weight if under a ton was 25 cents a pound.
Norwood Rd. does indeed have a good selection of nice stone. Atlantic Avenue Garden Center in Raleigh is another where you can hand pick...a bit far from Durham though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary