U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 11:58 AM

47 posts, read 101,107 times
Default Inside the beltline or Chapel Hill

Which area....Cameron Park /Hayes Barton/Five points or downtown Chapel Hill would you all choose if you were moving here and could afford either?
Which is more walkable? More progressive? Strong sense of community? We have two kids......would love a neighborhood with sidewalks and other children.....Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 12:24 PM

2,447 posts, read 5,112,723 times
I'd give the Raleigh nieghborhoods the nod for walkability. Cameron Park is my favorite among them. Also, being right next to the university, you'll find its a fairly diverse area. Chapel Hill is generally perceived as being more progressive overall, but I severely dislike and disagree with that terminology. Despite ITB Raleigh being the most liberal part of the city, you'd find Chapel Hill, and especially the older areas near downtown, to be far more liberal.

One other area you did not mention but that bears consideration is historic Durham: Watts-Hillandale, Trinity Park, Hope Valley, Forest Hills. All are walkable, diverse, open-minded, and you'll likely find the strongest sense of community there.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:41 PM

Default Diversity in Raleigh

Thanks for your reply! Cameron Park looks great....What about Hayes Barton is it progressive as well. We used to live ITB in the early 90's and are considering moving back. Back then it was still Helms country. We are non religious Jews (almost Unitarian in outlook) and would like to find a warm, welcoming community that doesn't look down on you if you don't belong to or go to church every Sunday. What do you think?

Old 11-08-2007, 12:46 PM

168 posts, read 792,510 times
This is EXACTLY the dilemma we had when we moved here. We were quite torn as ITB has the "look" with the beautiful older homes, etc.. We struggled quite a bit with it, but ultimately chose Chapel Hill for a few reasons (which certainly may not be the same concerns you have..)

1. My husband is a big road biker and you can get out into beautiful countryside for biking from chapel Hill very easily...not possible to do that from your doorstep ITB.

2. We wanted a very liberal feel to our town, and although the Triangle in general is diverse and open, we liked the "feel" of Chapel Hill better.

3. Even our realtor in Raleigh told us it would be hard to say how long it would take to get from one spot to another in Raleigh during rush hour...I didn't like the sound of that at all. There is no traffic to speak of in Chapel Hill (doesn't affect you--no slowdowns, etc). There is of course traffic if you are heading onto 40, but within the town itself, I never have any slowdowns at any time of day.

4. Schools. ITB the redistricting is minimal, but it still happens as it's all part of Wake. I didn't want to have the kids at risk for redistricting. I have seen Chapel Hill come up ahead of Wake in schooling, but in reality I think they both have great schools, so I was not concerned about the quality of schools in either place.

5. I am not a shopper so proximity to chic clothing stores, etc. was not a concern to me.

I guess my advice to you is to figure out what exactly is important to you, and just go w/that. The other thing I'd say is taht I know a lot of people from Raleigh who LOVE it and wouldn't live anywhere else, and a lot of pepole who live in Chapel Hill who LOVE it and wouldn't live anywhere else. I think that whichever you choose, you'll feel you made the best decision!!

Old 11-08-2007, 12:48 PM

Well, Jesse still lives in Hayes Barton, and it is home to a lot of the old-money Raleigh folks, who tend to be protestant-Christians. That said, the makeup of Raleigh's population has changed significantly since the early-90s, and I think more people are accepting of those who differ from them now.

Five Points might be less conservative than Hayes Barton. The homes generally are smaller there, however there's an awesome looking new infill development called The Oaks at Fallon Park. Prices are from the $700s+, which I assume from the neighborhoods you mentioned is well within your range.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:04 PM

Thanks so much....We'll look in all the areas suggested and get back here if we have more questions...This board is a great resource!

Old 11-08-2007, 01:24 PM

836 posts, read 2,178,726 times
Given what yuo have told us, in Raleigh, I would choose Cameron Park over Hayes Barton. Although is is a generalization surely, I still think that HB is WAY more blue blood, while Cameron Park is a bit more funky. Glenwood/Brooklyn is also a great, cohesive fun neighborhood. A good friend has a great house over there ready to come on the market (I have not forgiven her for moving yet, though. She got a job she couldn't refuse)

Old 11-08-2007, 01:26 PM

You should check out historic Oakwood, too.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:06 PM

160 posts, read 377,197 times
All of the neighborhoods below are beautiful charming historic neighborhoods inside the Raleigh beltline, each with its own personality, but all progressive (except Hayes Barton not so progressive). You would be welcomed in any of them. All have good schools.

Oakwood and Mordecai (the next neighborhood to the north) are progressive, have a strong sense of community, lots of small kids, and are walkable. There are a couple small shopping areas in walking distance. Downtown within walking distance of Oakwood. Mordecai slightly funkier than Oakwood.

Boylan Heights is very progressive with very strong sense of community. Not so much retail within a walk of Boylan Heights, but it's not far from downtown. Gourmet pizza place nearby.

Cameron Park is more expensive, so the kids are probably a bit older on average. Also a strong sense of community, and the most walkable, because it is next to Cameron Village, a large shopping center with a library and grocery store. Also close to University, But farther from downtown.

Cameron Village neighborhood itself is on the other side of the shopping center. Used to have few kids, but getting some small ones now.

University Park is west of Cameron Village. A mixture of families and college students. Close to University and shops and restaurants on Hillsborough St.

Five Points is very close community, within walk of cool shops and an art house movie theatre, gourmet pizza place, etc., at Five Points shopping district. Lots of small kids.

Hayes Barton is on other side of Five Points shopping district. Few small kids. Most houses near or over $1 million. It's a close community if you are part of Old Raleigh society, but if you are not, you'll probably have to find your community elsewhere. Also the most conservative of these neighborhoods, but still not very conservative.

Glenwood-Brooklyn is south of these neighborhoods, short walk to Glenwood South entertainment district, moderate walk to Five Points and Cameron Village. Fairly close community.

Chapel Hill is also wonderful, and more uniformly liberal, but very closely tied to the University.

The Durham neighborhoods mentioned, especially Trinity Park, Duke Park, Watts-Hillandale, and Forest Hills, are also wonderful and progressive. I would also check out Duke Park, Old West Durham, and Morehead Hill -- more affordable, but still beautiful.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:19 PM

13 posts, read 45,301 times
that is a tough call... i'd probably pick raleigh because i'd be more likely to have a shorter commute... and my (imaginary) kid would be more likely to consider going to unc if i'm more than 5 mins away.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 11-08-2007 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: signature removal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary