Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2014, 02:54 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
I just want to know one thing. Who in real life, not online on this forum or another, but real life, has heard somebody actually use the word yankee? I'm 28, I've never heard it, and I do mean never, same thing goes for the civil war(outside of a history class). Reading some of these post I find it hard to believe people's claims. Now I can believe a transplants claims to not getting a warm welcome(but I doubt how some of them put it and whether they are telling the whole story) You may not have got the warmest welcome but I guarantee you there was something that happened that brought it on.
I can't recall hearing "yankee" being used as an epithet in decades.
I did hear it 35-40 years ago as a kid but hardly since then. But, then again, I suspect that the possibility of hearing it might increase the farther you travel away from the fastest growing areas in the Triangle.
I can imagine it being used in the context of a fight or verbal altercation where it's just thrown on top of an already heated situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 02:59 PM

725 posts, read 1,500,286 times
Yankee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A humorous aphorism attributed to E. B. White summarizes the following distinctions:[citation needed]

To foreigners, a Yankee is an American.
To Americans, a Yankee is a Northerner.
To Northerners, a Yankee is an Easterner.
To Easterners, a Yankee is a New Englander.
To New Englanders, a Yankee is a Vermonter.
And in Vermont, a Yankee is somebody who eats pie for breakfast.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:55 PM

183 posts, read 454,346 times
When topics go off thread, they are soon shut down…

I really think this is a very helpful thread for those seeking viable information for a new relocation to the area.

So > Back on topic.

I did regret my move to the Raleigh area. I tried to *so very hard* to acclimate.
Really nice area, clean, pretty, green - just not for me.

Problems I personally encountered:

1.I miss the sky.

I moved from the Gulf Coast of Florida:
I had sweeping water views of Tampa Bay (sunrise every morning) and just 10 minutes to sunsets on the Gulf of Mexico.
After work, we would drive to the Gulf, have dinner + watch the sunset.
Water Sunrises/sunsets all in 1 day.

The limiting horizon line of the triangle made me feel like I was suffocating in trees. (Yes, trees are nice - I get that)
Seeing Orion’s Belt is mandatory for me. Seeing a Lunar eclipse is mandatory also.

At this moment, I am looking out my Wilmington window, at the most beautiful pink fall sky you can imagine.

2. The triangle is a really nice suburban area.

Not my cup of tea. Great for lots of folks.

When we sought living options in downtown Raleigh, they were about $200/sq. ft.
Not an option, as it was not worth it. Too expensive for what the area offers. I love live music, but the housing $$$ were crazy.
I would pay more for a great location, but in my mind, I’d need a much more vibrant area for the money.

3. I miss the water.

Although the triangle is not so far away from the Atlantic, still too far for me. 2 hours is landlocked.

So, I moved to Wilmington.
Problem solved for me.

Not knocking the triangle at all - just sharing a perspective and hoping this helps someone.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:05 PM

21 posts, read 43,925 times
Saintpetegirl, how are you liking wilmington?

My husband and used to live there and we adored it. Now we are in NY and want to move back to NC and are considering wilmington Again, or Raleigh for the first time (to live, been there before). I don't know your age but we can't figure out if we are over the young feel of wilmington or not. Raleigh, (I know- only 2 hours from the water) scares me bc of having no ocean! When you love the water, 2 hours is far. I don't want to regret a move to raleigh and end up complaining on this thread. 😳

Old 11-18-2014, 11:24 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,722,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintpetegirl View Post

I really think this is a very helpful thread for those seeking viable information for a new relocation to the area.

So > Back on topic.

I did regret my move to the Raleigh area. I tried to *so very hard* to acclimate.

1.I miss the sky.

I moved from the Gulf Coast of Florida:
I had sweeping water views of Tampa Bay (sunrise every morning) and just 10 minutes to sunsets on the Gulf of Mexico.
After work, we would drive to the Gulf, have dinner + watch the sunset.
Water Sunrises/sunsets all in 1 day.

The limiting horizon line of the triangle made me feel like I was suffocating in trees. (Yes, trees are nice - I get that)
Seeing Orion’s Belt is mandatory for me. Seeing a Lunar eclipse is mandatory also.

At this moment, I am looking out my Wilmington window, at the most beautiful pink fall sky you can imagine.

2. The triangle is a really nice suburban area.

Not my cup of tea. Great for lots of folks.

When we sought living options in downtown Raleigh, they were about $200/sq. ft.
Not an option, as it was not worth it. Too expensive for what the area offers. I love live music, but the housing $$$ were crazy.
I would pay more for a great location, but in my mind, I’d need a much more vibrant area for the money.

3. I miss the water.

Although the triangle is not so far away from the Atlantic, still too far for me. 2 hours is landlocked.

So, I moved to Wilmington.
Problem solved for me.

Not knocking the triangle at all - just sharing a perspective and hoping this helps someone.
Please share your experience in Wilmington with us? Does it meet all of your needs/desires?

Old 11-20-2014, 12:31 AM

656 posts, read 1,340,540 times
Can't say I regretted moving to the Raleigh area, but I can't say I regretted leaving it, either.

Old 11-26-2014, 11:55 AM

596 posts, read 1,239,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mire View Post
Can't say I regretted moving to the Raleigh area, but I can't say I regretted leaving it, either.
Amen, no regrets that we tried it for 7 years, but now I pray each night for a buyer for our home !

Old 11-26-2014, 01:42 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,596,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintpetegirl View Post

So > Back on topic.

So funny, saintpetegirl - you and I have lived in the same three places. I wasn't feeling Wilmington beyond the water and the downtown area - in fact, I wanted it to be St. Pete, and it wasn't, and when it came time to buy a house I packed up and went back to Durham (why not St. Pete? Well, that's yet to be determined).

I'll eventually leave the triangle because I find I'm always leaving it to really feel ... centered (I'm really turning very much into a woo woo out there person, I think). Ocean or mountains or both - but ocean wins - being a couple of hours away from each is good on the one hand and not good for me for forever.

But the triangle is very cerebral and I like that.

And my mortgage is incredibly affordable, especially for living in an area featured often in the NY times. Certainly can't have that in hipster brooklyn...

Old 11-27-2014, 12:13 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,266,799 times
We have given it 14 years and aren't thrilled with it but we don't regret it either. Going to give it another 20 years and then make a decision. I'll be in my early sixties then. Galveston will be calling.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:55 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,596,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
We have given it 14 years and aren't thrilled with it but we don't regret it either. Going to give it another 20 years and then make a decision. I'll be in my early sixties then. Galveston will be calling.
Galveston? Really? A shipping port full of chemical refineries? Maybe it's changed since I've visited back in the early 90's. I lived in Dallas and was dating a girl from Texas City. We'd visit her family down there and it always smelled like the fertilizer isle at Home Depot. The water at the beach was so brown that you could not see your feet even if the water was only up to your ankles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary