Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 06:59 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,079,161 times

Advertisements

We are starting to look at new cabinets to replace the 1990s white stuff we have--the existing "plastic" ones we have (I forget what they are actually called) are pulling away from the walls and have other problems. The boxes are shot, so I don't think we can reface.

We would love to find a source that's an alternative to the Home Depot/lowes offerings that is comparable or less in price. We don't need installation and basically just want to replicate the layout we have--it's just a matter of getting cabinets that actually function in the same space.

Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 07:14 PM

136 posts, read 434,913 times
I can't offer a recommendation on a local business. I can relate that when I did my kitchen remodel in Southern California I was able to get a better cabinet at a price comparable to that of a Home Depot quote. There should be room in the prices for the kitchen designer to make a deal.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:15 PM

7,816 posts, read 4,534,734 times
Might be worth firing up Google to locate a place locally I seem to remember that was dialed into IKEA's software. They were able to do all the design work and generate a bill of materials here in town so you could then just make a run to IKEA and have at it. At one time they would even make the purchase for you, but I think it got to be too much hassle for them. IKEA's got some very nice cabinetry, pretty good quality and warranty.

Good luck.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:40 PM

84 posts, read 128,067 times
Raleigh Premium Cabinets , we did our entire kitchen and master batch. Very good construction, outstanding customer service.

Ted is THE man, he has a small showroom on westgate.

Raleigh Premium Cabinets | Kitchen Remodeling in Raleigh, NC

Old 07-16-2013, 04:49 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,294,553 times
When we built our house seven years ago, the kitchen and bath cabinets were done by 1st Choice Cabinetry. We've been very happy with the quality and installation.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:54 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,902,994 times
For our garage-apartment, we used IKEA for cabinets, countertops and some appliances. You have limited styles/selections and sizes, but the product we got was really good quality and REALLY inexpensive. We ended up with a good size kitchen including lowers and some uppers, a pantry, sink, dishwasher, and quartz countertops for under $5,000 -- not including cabinet installation but including countertop installation.

Of course you have to assemble the cabinets (or hire someone to do it for you) but if you are handy it's a great way to go. There is a company in Raleigh that will design/install (and pick up the pieces for) an IKEA kitchen. Or: take your own measurements and use the software on IKEA's web site to design your cabinets. When you go to the store to place the order, you use the same software including your saved design for their staff to review your work and build your order.

For our main house, we went with CKS in Durham, a custom cabinet shop. While they are customs their price (about $18k for cabinets) was close to what big-boxes wanted for semi-custom. Quality has been very good but may be more than you want to spend.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:10 PM

835 posts, read 2,514,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
When we built our house seven years ago, the kitchen and bath cabinets were done by 1st Choice Cabinetry. We've been very happy with the quality and installation.
+1 for 1st Choice, my wife and I worked with John Addair, very professional and knowledgeable.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:50 PM

151 posts, read 461,877 times
We used Ikea and are very happy with the results.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:55 PM

342 posts, read 870,668 times
Actually saw the Habitat Re-store in Cary sells new cabinets as well. Didn't look at them in great detail, but might be worth a look.

Also sometimes they have nice used ones. The only problem with that, you may be limited on your configuration of them.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:00 PM

797 posts, read 3,571,600 times
Check out Surplus Warehouse. THey have about 7 or 8 types of stock cabinets, and they are MUCH nicer than what Lowes/HD offers. I just bought a ton of their maple (sheffield honey) cabinets for a flip we are doing. They are really much better alternative, and you can also get custom cabinets made there too if you want to pay a bit more.

Really great deal overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary