U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 09:14 PM

19,563 posts, read 31,020,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Stay on topic, folks.

Wake County Schools. Do we need more school buildings? Yes? No? Why?
I would propose that the actual topic was:
There is a school bond proposed in Wake County.
Sub-topic, by implication:
Is it necessary or wise?

Of course we need more school buildings. Undeniably. It is only good planning for the County, as well as a bit of catching up. We have a growing population, easily projected student body growth, limits on affordable land resources, and some aging infrastructure.
There is no more responsible way to build into the future than to leverage with an affordable financial instrument to provide quick, earmarked capital, deferring much of the costs to people who do not even live here yet, and to parents of kids who are not yet among us.

The Wake County Schools bond issue faces many of the same hurdles as all political issues:
Some folks will never be satisfied unless they can get someone else, anyone else, to pay for their consumption of public resources.
Some folks would dive over a dollar to pick up a dime, and think that is wise financial management, particularly if they can look the other way when the final bill is delivered.
Some folks never took civics, social studies, problems of democracy, or other classes to learn about levels of government, or they slept through them. So they confuse the roles of levels of government in the discussion, hijack discussion with inept analysis, and blame anyone who points that out.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 07-16-2013 at 09:34 PM..

Old 07-16-2013, 09:36 PM

14,207 posts, read 9,309,088 times
I'm in favor of the bonds, if anyone cares. We appear to be losing caps on class size at the state level, so the more schools? The better.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:13 PM

5,916 posts, read 6,174,479 times
As someone who just moved here from an overcrowded area, I will tell you what it's like to be in crowded schools. Class size starts creeping up. In Fairfax County School District, similar in size to Wake County School District, elementary class size can be as large as 31 students - at the beginning of the year. If more come during the year, it doesn't change anything. My daughter in 3rd grade was in a class with 29 students that swelled to 32 students during the year. Trailers are added to the school grounds. Once there, they rarely leave.

Extra rooms such as art rooms become classrooms. In my friend's school, there was no art class because it had gotten takein over by a classroom. Instead they had "art on a cart" which is art supplies on a cart with wheels that went around to the various classrooms for art time. Kids who were pulled out for certain things met in the hallways. Parents whose kids go to an overcrowded school as their base school start to resent families kids who go to their school as an outsider (not their base school but there for a special program like gifted programs). Then there is talk of moving the gifted program out of the school or put it in a less crowded school until 3 years later, that school, too, becomes overcrowded. And so it goes.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:04 AM

500 posts, read 717,773 times
I will tell you what overcrowded looks like - class in a closet. Yup, I went to high school before Ashley High was built in Wilmington, and we had music theory in what had formerly been a janitor's closet. There was no room left on the school grounds for more trailers. We had 5 different lunch periods to keep the cafeteria from overflowing. They had to extend the time between classes because the hallways would get so jammed that it took 10 minutes to get from one end of the building to the other (a length of like 100 feet). Buses were so crowded we had 3 high school kids to a seat and people were falling off the seat/sitting on 2 inches of space with legs and bags and instruments in the aisles. We shared lockers. At one point we were the largest high school in the state of NC at 2500 students in a school built for maybe 1500 (today there are larger schools, but I know that in the 90s we were the largest in terms of enrollment). After Ashley High was built, enrollment dropped to around 1800 where it is today. It was an absolute nightmare. I would guess schools here have gone thru similar crowding issues, but that's the only one I have first-hand experience with and I just remember it being miserable at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary