Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 10:31 PM

460 posts, read 1,769,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatterboxishere View Post
I am very aware of the current rental costs. Plus, the industry your trying to get into is dead around Raleigh..
That's a comment based on 'nothing'.

To the OP...

If you had a store selling Amish furniture, I would have been your customer! Just last week, I ordered a custom bed and bookcases from an Amish store in Ohio. Why? I couldn't find ANYONE here who could make things like that (from sustainable woods and non-toxic finishes).

While many 'locals' here might not be into what you're talking about, there are TONS of transplants (and more on the way) who are used to living in markets where shops like yours are expected. (I'm from Southern Cali...)

I was driving back from Holly Springs one day heading to Cary, and ended up in a quaint 'main street' in (I think) Apex, that would be PERFECT for your store. The shops were so interesting I turned my car around and parked so I could peek into each shop on the street.

I'll try to think of exactly where it was, and post back.

BTW, whatever you do, build a FABULOUS website...that's where most of your initial 'traffic' will come from...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 02:00 PM

20 posts, read 60,657 times
Thanks Gurl... I'm feeling better and better about our move... I already use a myspace site for seasonal sales, but when we move, I'm going to look into web designers in Raleigh, plus a large budget set aside for advertising... I'm actually glad to hear that you can't get the traditional amish furniture in the area, I'm going to be back and forth to lancaster hand picking pieces, you just can't beat the amish craftsmanship... how is your area on barnstars?? They are huge in our area, everything from a singlewide trailer to a half a million dollar houses have them on them, not to mention the smaller ones, I even use them as Christmas tree decorations... is this a popular item in the area??? I guess I will notice while driving around next week :-) but suggestions are always helpful.

Old 11-11-2007, 02:27 PM

460 posts, read 1,769,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsmudder View Post
how is your area on barnstars??
A what?!?!?!

I wouldn't know a 'barnstar' if it knocked on my door. In fact, I don't think I've ever even heard the word...

Re: Amish
Yes, they do fabulous work! I can't wait to get my stuff in (1st week in Dec).

Re: Website
You can certainly hire local, if you wish, but don't forget to check out places like scriptlance.com, elance.com, etc. You might be able to get a great site made for less. Make sure it's SEO'd for all cities in the area, and the items you carry. Getting in CitySearch.com will also help.

One key, for you will be tapping into the market that will be interested, and 'we' typically start our search online...that's how I found the company that is having my stuff made in Ohio.

If anything else comes to mind, I'll let you know!

Old 11-11-2007, 07:16 PM

omg... i don't know if I can move to NC anymore... no barn stars your kidding... they are huge in pa, del, md, and va... I'm going to put a picture on here, I MUST open a shop in the area now.. haha. Thanks for the tips on the web design, I'm good with graphic design myself since I studied it in school, but I need someone who can properly get me to the top of the search engines, such as goodle and yahoo. Is there much demand for americana or patriotic decor in NC? Its huge around here, and thats probably 25% of my hand made product....

Heres a pic of a barn star, people around here put them on the outsides of their houses, in addition to decorating the insides, they come in sizes 3"-48", most people match the color to their shutters, but this is an example of an americana star, very popular where were from.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:52 PM

29 posts, read 119,087 times
Default ok we may be southern, but that stuff is

plain ole hick.

We understand that everyone in America has the darn right to choose what they want on their house. But, we usually don't tend to be tacky.

No wonder our Northerner neighbors have the most tacky yard out of anyone we have ever seen.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:56 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
plain ole hick.

We understand that everyone in America has the darn right to choose what they want on their house. But, we usually don't tend to be tacky.

No wonder our Northerner neighbors have the most tacky yard out of anyone we have ever seen.
Don't blame that on 'generic' Northerners.....I think they must be a very regional item, because I never saw one on any home where I am from.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:57 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsmudder View Post
omg... i don't know if I can move to NC anymore... no barn stars your kidding... they are huge in pa, del, md, and va... I'm going to put a picture on here, I MUST open a shop in the area now.. haha. Thanks for the tips on the web design, I'm good with graphic design myself since I studied it in school, but I need someone who can properly get me to the top of the search engines, such as goodle and yahoo. Is there much demand for americana or patriotic decor in NC? Its huge around here, and thats probably 25% of my hand made product....

Heres a pic of a barn star, people around here put them on the outsides of their houses, in addition to decorating the insides, they come in sizes 3"-48", most people match the color to their shutters, but this is an example of an americana star, very popular where were from.
You don't tend to see things like that in this area....not sure their would be any market to be honest.....maybe in more rural areas.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:41 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
In North Raleigh, there is a store called "The Shoppes at Baileywick". They have many many booths that each individual rents out. Its a great place to go to pick up gifts and things like that. Its not cheap, by any means. I have seen the barnstars there. As a matter of fact, they have a couple of booths that are "country". One of the booths is owned by a lady that used to own an Antique store. I always enjoy browsing through all the booths. I used to collect antiques, so alot of those things still appeal to me. I've seen the barn stars made out of old tin (or reproduced to look that way).

Vicki

Old 11-12-2007, 09:34 AM

Quote:
plain ole hick.

Well sorry but this northern HICK, has a 36" burgundy on her house, a house I might add that we paid $378000.00 just last year, and in our area, that means I'm in an upscale neighborhood... No I do NOT think your northern neighbors have tacky homes... shame, we were looking forward to nice southern people, but you give southern residents a bad name, because you are just plain RUDE!!

Old 11-12-2007, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
In North Raleigh, there is a store called "The Shoppes at Baileywick". They have many many booths that each individual rents out. Its a great place to go to pick up gifts and things like that. Its not cheap, by any means. I have seen the barnstars there. As a matter of fact, they have a couple of booths that are "country". One of the booths is owned by a lady that used to own an Antique store. I always enjoy browsing through all the booths. I used to collect antiques, so alot of those things still appeal to me. I've seen the barn stars made out of old tin (or reproduced to look that way).

Vicki

Vicki, is this located in North Raleigh? I think I found it on the net, or acticles about it, I will def check it out this weekend while I'm in town, they did origionally start in popularity in rust, but they left orange streaks down your siding, now the big thing is to buy them powder coat painted to match your shutters and they don't leave marks... a fun fact about them, which I think is cool.. is they represent Peace and Prosperity, can't knock that hanging on your house... the amish may not have electricity, but they have the goodlife thing down :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary