Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 02:07 PM

2,904 posts, read 5,905,970 times

Advertisements

Riding with my ladies today, on the way back to our origin point we came across this little fella in the middle of the greenway. Since many people aren't really looking where they are going, I decided to try to pick him up and move him off to the grass. BIG MISTAKE!

He was moving slowly, but he snapped his head around so fast it was like he was a bolt of lightning. I narrowly missed being bitten. He had a seriously bad temper and we were unable to move him, so hopefully he made it.

Pic of the little b*****d:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 02:17 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,106,421 times
Ahhh. Snapping turtle. Aptly named, no?

Old 07-21-2013, 02:24 PM

924 posts, read 2,095,787 times
Wow! Yeah, one encounters them from time to time in sunny, open unpaved areas adjacent to ponds or streams in the warmer months, but I've never seen one on a greenway, although one does occasionally see them smashed as roadkill on streets and highways near wetland areas, so I suppose it's not that outlandish for it to have wandered out onto the little bike path. Just out of curiosity, in which section of which greenway did you see it? Many or most of the greenways in the Triangle follow streams, creeks, or rivers, and some also go along lakes, ponds, swamps, or marshes, so I guess there's lots of places where a snapper wouldn't have to travel too far to end up on the pathway. In any case, thanks for not killing it. I know there are plenty of snapping turtles around, so killing one isn't exactly a great loss. But as with snakes and other components of our native fauna that happen to be possibly dangerous and perceived as "icky" by a lot of people, reflexively killing them when it's not absolutely necessary seems foolish and definitely bad karma.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:27 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,108,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
Riding with my ladies today, on the way back to our origin point we came across this little fella in the middle of the greenway. Since many people aren't really looking where they are going, I decided to try to pick him up and move him off to the grass. BIG MISTAKE!

He was moving slowly, but he snapped his head around so fast it was like he was a bolt of lightning. I narrowly missed being bitten. He had a seriously bad temper and we were unable to move him, so hopefully he made it.

HaHa....I made that mistake once too. We lived about 3 blocks from the river banks. Saw a small snapping turtle one morning in our back patio...figured I'd help him back to the water.
Put him in a small box, front floor board of the car. So, my hubby drove and I spent 5 min.from hell keeping him inside the box. The sounds that these things emote sends shivers up your spine. They are vicious. I will never do that again.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:28 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,046,282 times
snapper! They can easily break a finger!

Old 07-21-2013, 02:28 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,859,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post

RDU, looks like you haven't been watching the Turtleman! Live action!!

Old 07-21-2013, 02:36 PM

Geez, I guess having lived in NC for 16 years now, I should know better. It was on the section east of New Falls of Neuse Road probably within a half to 3/4 of a mile east of the bridges.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:08 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,239,764 times
Awww, he's just a baby! But I wouldn't touch him unless I had a 10 foot pole handy. I'll happily pick up a box turtle and relocate it, but snappers deserve some distance from me.

10 Awesome Snapping Turtle Facts

Common Snapping Turtle - North Carolina

That's a great picture, btw.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Awww, he's just a baby! But I wouldn't touch him unless I had a 10 foot pole handy. I'll happily pick up a box turtle and relocate it, but snappers deserve some distance from me.

10 Awesome Snapping Turtle Facts

Common Snapping Turtle - North Carolina
Yeah he was tiny. Good thing I have fast reflexes. It makes up for not being so smart.

Sorry about the huge size of the pic. I will try to resize it shortly.

Good fact links, will check them out soon.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:45 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,151,427 times
Yeeeyeeeeyeeeeyeeeeyeeeeee!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary