Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 04:20 AM

212 posts, read 1,016,771 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are purchasing a home in a popular Cary Neighborhood. Our closing was set for next week. As the home got closer to the closing we noticed a pretty large sloop forming between our house and the house next to us. It began to appear as they landscaped and did grading of land for both houses. The slop starts on the neighboring land but is down hill, the stopping point is near the start of our property. The hill/slope is about 5-7 feet tall and probably at at a 50-60% angle. So our concern is that as it rains the water will all spill into our land on that side of the house and flood it. We had hired a home inspector for the pre walk through and even he was concerned about it. He recommended a retaining wall, we agreed. Our builder is unsure what they plan to do. We figure because its costly.

My question is what legal rights to do have regarding this? Do we have the right to back out of our contract and get our 5K deposit back if the builder refuses to put the much needed retaining wall up ?

Also should me and my wife wait until the wall has been installed to close on the house or is getting the wall installation promise in writing enough?

Any other recommendations are appreciated!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 06:10 AM

709 posts, read 934,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxsti04 View Post
My wife and I are purchasing a home in a popular Cary Neighborhood. Our closing was set for next week. As the home got closer to the closing we noticed a pretty large sloop forming between our house and the house next to us. It began to appear as they landscaped and did grading of land for both houses. The slop starts on the neighboring land but is down hill, the stopping point is near the start of our property. The hill/slope is about 5-7 feet tall and probably at at a 50-60% angle. So our concern is that as it rains the water will all spill into our land on that side of the house and flood it. We had hired a home inspector for the pre walk through and even he was concerned about it. He recommended a retaining wall, we agreed. Our builder is unsure what they plan to do. We figure because its costly.

My question is what legal rights to do have regarding this? Do we have the right to back out of our contract and get our 5K deposit back if the builder refuses to put the much needed retaining wall up ?

Also should me and my wife wait until the wall has been installed to close on the house or is getting the wall installation promise in writing enough?

Any other recommendations are appreciated!!!!!!

There are so many homes for sale here in the triangle, If your home inspection report that you are paying for says trouble, I would get the town engineer out to the property before you close. IF there is a water issue, don't buy the house. Thats right, you are doing a walk thru, you do that before you close. IF there is a major issue I would walk away. In writing?? No way he could be out of business in this housing market next week.!!

Old 11-10-2007, 06:37 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
Do you have an agent? You can make an addendum to the contract stating exactly what needs to be done and the time frame for that being done, then all parties should sign it.

It is better to take care of all questions before closing, because once you close, you close done deal.

Hopefully you have had a home inspection (everyone should get one, even if it is new construction) and the inspector may be able to tell you something about the slope in the yard. If they cannot, they could recommend someone who could.

As I said before, it is always easier to deal with issues before closing.

Leigh

Old 11-10-2007, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe View Post
Do you have an agent? You can make an addendum to the contract stating exactly what needs to be done and the time frame for that being done, then all parties should sign it.

It is better to take care of all questions before closing, because once you close, you close done deal.

Hopefully you have had a home inspection (everyone should get one, even if it is new construction) and the inspector may be able to tell you something about the slope in the yard. If they cannot, they could recommend someone who could.

As I said before, it is always easier to deal with issues before closing.

Leigh

As stated above we DID have a home inspection during our pre closing
It was a very much recommended inspector from this forum

The private home inspector said in his report "
SITE GRADING - Poor/Defective
Grade at right side is excessive and will continue to erode if not corrected. Roof runoff from neighbors house (on right side) will
make erosion even worse if not corrected. Retaining wall may be needed due to height and proximity to houses. Requires
review by builder and consider contacting local inspections department.

He did not not know the laws surrounding land grading and retaining walls. He told us he'd look into it then told us " Talk with the builder first. Then if you do not like his answer then speak with the local inspections department. "

Our builder is strange. After our pre-walk (We mentioned our hugh concern of the next door slop issue) he emailed me and said " Please in addition to informing my office on your feelings on the retaining wall, It works better if you could send a letter stating how you feel so that we may get a quicker response from the Main Office"

He asked us to write a letter with our concerns to the main office. We are leaning towards saying we will not close until the retaining wall is up and properly irrigated. This just feels like the right thing to do from our side as we are extremely confused on what their intentions are regarding the resolution of this issue.

Need more help....

Old 11-10-2007, 05:24 PM

49 posts, read 162,688 times
getting back deposit 5K is difficult. one of my friend try to get 5K deposit back for cancelling( his house almost finished without any contruction problem)
but his builder refuse to give. but gave him an oppotunity to come back and sign a new contract within next 9 months for build a another house.( he doesn't need pay 5k again)

Old 11-10-2007, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowsun View Post
getting back deposit 5K is difficult. one of my friend try to get 5K deposit back for cancelling( his house almost finished without any contruction problem)
but his builder refuse to give. but gave him an oppotunity to come back and sign a new contract within next 9 months for build a another house.( he doesn't need pay 5k again)
Well I am not asking for my 5k Deposit back unless they refuse to put this retaining wall up and drain it properly

Should we wait until the wall is complete before closing ?

Old 11-10-2007, 08:01 PM
vq1

134 posts, read 682,825 times
Default Retaining Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxsti04 View Post
Well I am not asking for my 5k Deposit back unless they refuse to put this retaining wall up and drain it properly

Should we wait until the wall is complete before closing ?

You have a much better negotiating position before you close the deal.

You need to protect your position and you do not want to let $5,000 sit (as suggested by one that you might wait and apply it to another house.) If you do not have in writing and an adequate amount put in escrow at closing to cover the proper building of a wall (and not ambiguously as to timeframe, adequacy, or warranty), I would be hesitant about proceeding. Actually, I would be hesitant about closing until it was satisfactorily done!

If, at this time, you have the least amount of doubt, it is probably best for you to contact a real estate attorney (not the closing attorney who works for the lender) and get their input. Don't jump into a mistake (or as alluded to above, a builder's promise .)

An old saying in construction is: Where is the water going to go? Do what you need to do to make certain that your neighbor's run-off does not cause you problems.

Good luck! Let us know what happens.

Old 11-10-2007, 08:22 PM

460 posts, read 2,421,504 times
Default Use the inspection as your punch list

I always use my indepedent inspection as my pre settlement punchlist. Don't go to settlement till they have it all done. Tell them that. When the list is done to our satisfaction then and only then will you go to settlement.
If they want to sell that house they will comply. If they take more than 30 days I would hire a real estate attorney and start having the attorney make my calls and write my letters.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:03 PM

709 posts, read 934,224 times
If its not fixed do not buy the house. Take the Builder to court if you have to to get your deposit back. Bottom line you have a breech in your contract in the new house. The grade on the property is part of the deal. If its wrong you get your money back.

You should play hardball.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:41 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanna Leave Penciltucky View Post
I always use my indepedent inspection as my pre settlement punchlist. Don't go to settlement till they have it all done. Tell them that. When the list is done to our satisfaction then and only then will you go to settlement.
If they want to sell that house they will comply. If they take more than 30 days I would hire a real estate attorney and start having the attorney make my calls and write my letters.
This is good advice. And given that the end of the year is coming up the builder might not want to hold onto that property into 08 so he might be more willing to resolve the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary