Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 07:57 AM

843 posts, read 2,100,372 times

Advertisements

How do you plan to get to Durham for your vacations? If driving, you will already have a car with you. If you fly, just rent a car. You can get a decent car for $20 buck a day at RDU.

Or just leave your Jersey plates on it. As long as your insured and tagged in NJ, how does the police know you didnt drive the car from Jersey on your vacation??

Sounds like an 'end run' to me.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 08:22 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,247,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
NCDOT website is very difficult to navigate maybe someone can help me with this. I am having a house built in Durham which will be ready by November but I will continue to live and work in NJ. Basically the home in NC will be a vacation home for a few years. I planned on garaging one of my cars in NC if it makes any sense.
I will not be needing a NC drivers license until I move in permanently since I will continue to live and work in NJ. Can I register a car in NC with a NJ license? How can I find out how much it will cost to register the car in NC. From what I gather the lower insurance cost in NC will be eaten up by the car tax imposed in NC. I am not looking to beat paying the NC tax but would like to find out how to register the car down there. I know I have to do this in person and found out which docs I need. Approximatley what would the cost be to register the car? Is it based on car value/income or some combination of the two? The website doesn't explain any of this very well.
I'd keep everything NJ until you move here and spend most of your time here. My inlaws are snowbirds. Half the year in Michigan. Half the year in FL. They have Michigan plates and licenses.

People can't register in both places, so what else can you do, yanno?

Old 07-26-2013, 02:47 PM

5,144 posts, read 3,754,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmickey View Post
How do you plan to get to Durham for your vacations? If driving, you will already have a car with you. If you fly, just rent a car. You can get a decent car for $20 buck a day at RDU.

Or just leave your Jersey plates on it. As long as your insured and tagged in NJ, how does the police know you didnt drive the car from Jersey on your vacation??

Sounds like an 'end run' to me.....
End run? I am paying property taxes on my home in NC. Why do some always think the worst?

Old 07-26-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I'd keep everything NJ until you move here and spend most of your time here. My inlaws are snowbirds. Half the year in Michigan. Half the year in FL. They have Michigan plates and licenses.

Thanks. I'll just leave the tags and registration the way it is and continue to pay NJ insurance. Cost of insurance in NJ for the year is 900. Cost in NC is around 530. The NC car tax brings the total cost to about the same.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:58 PM

843 posts, read 2,100,372 times
Quote:
End run? I am paying property taxes on my home in NC. Why do some always think the worst?
Cause I am from Jersey too. I know how we think Dont take it personally...

Whats the answer to my other questions....

Taxes on my wifes 2012 Mitsubishi was only $250 in 2012. Taxes on my 2001 F150 is $55.... just for a barameter

Old 07-26-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmickey View Post
Cause I am from Jersey too. I know how we think Dont take it personally...

Whats the answer to my other questions....

Taxes on my wifes 2012 Mitsubishi was only $250 in 2012. Taxes on my 2001 F150 is $55.... just for a barameter
Thanks Mickey.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:46 PM

19,436 posts, read 27,823,287 times
Quote:
Thanks. I'll just leave the tags and registration the way it is and continue to pay NJ insurance. Cost of insurance in NJ for the year is 900. Cost in NC is around 530. The NC car tax brings the total cost to about the same.
Lancers, do call your insurance company. Many (not all) will base your car insurance by where the car is garaged. We were not required to register the car where we were living for that time. But it may only have been something they allowed for a certain period of time.

USAA, for one, does this. I know, because we did it three times.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:39 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,937,488 times
Back in the 2000's, tens of thousands of Tri-State residents were making group trips down to NC, registering their cars, and having NC plates mailed to single addresses in NC (sometimes 30-40 plates to a single address).

It was tempting with an instant savings of about $1500 annually.

For a while, it seemed that about a third of the plates in Manhattan were from NC. I can remember being on the NJ Turnpike and seeing nothing but NC plates. I thought to myself, "My God, there can't be that many ex-Yankee transplants who've relocated to NC.

Officials finally caught on to what was going on.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:32 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,563,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post

Excellent question. I'm in the same situation. I'd be pleased as punch to buy locally, pay sales tax on, pay local insurance on and register an automobile in NC and keep my driver's license valid where I primarily reside but apparently the fine folks in the GA don't seem to understand the concept that people can and do live in more than one place during a given time.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:40 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,785,332 times
If you go to the NC DMV site it says the following:

Proof of Identity-Must have a valid Driver License/ID....-If you are a non-resident of the state of North Carolina, you will need to bring 1 additional document that proves one of the following:
  • Military active duty stationed in NC;
  • College enrollment in a NC school;
  • Vehicle garaged in NC for a minimum of 6 months each year;
  • Court-ordered sale of a vehicle;
  • Vehicle is co-owned;
  • Registration for a motor home; or
  • Documented medical condition
If I am reading the site correctly, it says you need a NC driver's license IF you are a resident of NC. But it doesn't say you need one if you are not a resident. That's my interpretation anyway.

I'm not sure what document you would use to prove that your vehicle is garaged in NC at least 6 months. You can call and ask. Here is the website: NCDOT: Titles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary