Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 12:07 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriana lopez View Post
I have a 14 year old and she doesn't want to move from school but we live in another area could she stay in the same school ?
Please read the policy linked right above your post, presuming you are in Wake County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 06:58 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
the link is broken now. I'll go look, but "this year only" is news to me.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:02 PM

Student Assignment / Address Change Policy

Beginning July 1, 2016, any student address change that occurs during the school year (July 1 through June 30) may affect the student's school assignment for the subsequent school year.
All students who move to a new address during the school year must submit a transfer request to remain at their current school for the remainder of the year. These requests will be granted. Parents must provide their own transportation to and from school if the current school is not the base school or calendar option school for their new address.

Students who are currently attending their base school or calendar option school and move to a new address will be assigned to the base school for their new address for the next school year if a) the new address is no longer in the base of the current school, and b) their current school is not a calendar option for the new address.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:05 PM

so, I would read that to be anyone that DOESN'T move is still treated under the just-prior system.

Once you're in a school, that student can move all the way across the county, and so long as you want them to go there and you provide transportation, they get to stay.

Any trailing siblings will still not be automatically allowed into the former-address school.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:44 PM

525 posts, read 1,298,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
so, I would read that to be anyone that DOESN'T move is still treated under the just-prior system.

Once you're in a school, that student can move all the way across the county, and so long as you want them to go there and you provide transportation, they get to stay.

Any trailing siblings will still not be automatically allowed into the former-address school.
Huh? I totally disagree with the way you're reading it. The sentence below in bold alone explains it to me -- nowhere does it say they get to stay through the highest grade in the school. It says their assignment will be affected for the subsequent school years --

"Beginning July 1, 2016, any student address change that occurs during the school year (July 1 through June 30) may affect the student's school assignment for the subsequent school year."

That says "the student's" -- not "the student's younger siblings" To me this is VERY clearly saying you get to stay for the current year in which you move, but not subsequent years. This language seems very clear to me. I don't understand the confusion.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:05 AM

2 posts, read 5,125 times
What are the chances that WCPSS will actually investigate the current addresses and assignments for existing students?

We are in the same boat as OP and desperately want to purchase a home in Wake County, but outside of our current base assignment. She's spent all 3 years in the same high school and understandably wants to graduate next year with her peers, so we don't want ruin that for her if the risk is realistically high.

How much of a risk do you think it would it be if we gambled with moving now and simply didn't notify the school of the change of address until after 7/1/2017?

Old 10-18-2016, 09:07 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user504 View Post
What are the chances that WCPSS will actually investigate the current addresses and assignments for existing students?

We are in the same boat as OP and desperately want to purchase a home in Wake County, but outside of our current base assignment. She's spent all 3 years in the same high school and understandably wants to graduate next year with her peers, so we don't want ruin that for her if the risk is realistically high.

How much of a risk do you think it would it be if we gambled with moving now and simply didn't notify the school of the change of address until after 7/1/2017?
If she's going to be a senior she can grandfather into her current school. You will probably have to driver her (or she can driver herself).

I have heard that wcpss does check but they are probably more "on it" for capped schools. I can't see how they can check all these addresses.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:13 AM

2 posts, read 5,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
If she's going to be a senior she can grandfather into her current school. You will probably have to driver her (or she can driver herself).

I have heard that wcpss does check but they are probably more "on it" for capped schools. I can't see how they can check all these addresses.
I called the WCPSS assignment office and was told that under the new rules, there would be no special consideration for her Senior year because her current HS is capped. I suppose they were just giving me the "by the book" response. Perhaps I should speak with someone at her HS directly to maybe get a response that considers our situation specifically and might gain some sympathy.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:22 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,583,881 times
If your daughter will be a senior then it may be worth holding off on moving for 6 months or so until she gets her official assignment for next year. Then wait a month or two and call to update her address with the school's data manager and you'll be good for that year unless you request to be reassigned. After that they'll reassign any younger kids though. At least that's how it worked out for us when we moved in June.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:54 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Being in a capped school is an issue. They want any reason to get rid of you. We had friends that moved into Panther Creek base but wanted to stay at Green Hope, so it wasn't an issue. The opposite would have been. I would hold off or you'll be hoping for the best and worrying about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary