Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 11:55 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,166,601 times

Advertisements

I see rabbits here at our house. They like to dart across the sidewalk right in front of me, causing me to jump! They also hang out near my neighbors grape arbors. Them and the deer probably fight over the grapes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 07:25 PM

63 posts, read 137,190 times
We also have SO MANY rabbits in our yard and nearby. My dog is constantly chasing them out of the yard!

Old 07-29-2013, 08:25 PM

1,124 posts, read 1,717,177 times
Just goes to show one how varied is the wildlife depending on the neighborhood! I miss the rabbits we used to have in other cities, and would honestly not miss the squirrels or even the deer one bit!!!

Old 07-29-2013, 10:52 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,166,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busydesk View Post
J....and would honestly not miss the squirrels....
Practice, and get your rifle sighted in!

Old 07-30-2013, 08:47 AM

49 posts, read 89,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
No gators in Raleigh. I've seen them down at Southport (beach area about 2.5 hours away).

Client of mine that lives in Highland Creek said they got a notice yesterday that someone had seen a black bear and to please keep their kids and pets inside until it was caught!!!

Vicki

I have heard reports of gators in ponds in Eastern Johnston County. I think they are gradually creeping west (as warming temperatures might suggest). But they are a long way off.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:59 AM

296 posts, read 532,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloupha View Post
You are right, and the idea of seeing a snake, gator, etc… in my backyard is very alarming, especially with kids and pets in the equation. Not too long ago I read an article about a woman in SC who came home one night and found a gator in her backyard. The gator was spotted by her dog. That's just crazy to me (a city person).

However, the city life is no longer for my family and I. Therefore, I have to weight what I can compromise in other to reach my goal.

I am indeed interested in Raleigh. I am also very interested in Richmond. I realize that I would have to deal with this issue any place outside of the big cities.
Don't worry about gators just get a cat

Http://youtube.com/watch?v=5sAF8gMN9c0

Old 07-30-2013, 06:36 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
OK, that gator video is insane. Those people are lucky they still have a pet cat. A gator recently ate an 80-pound dog in Jacksonville! That's Jacksonville, NC. Whoa.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:42 AM

8 posts, read 15,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloupha View Post
Hello,

...my wife and I are looking into Raleigh as one of our choices. I am wondering if anyone could let me know about wild life animals
Nothing to worry about assuming normal common sense. Remember, Raleigh is a city of 450,000 surrounded by another 1.5 million people living in sprawling suburbs.

Lots of deer some places. They are only dangerous if you run into one or they eat your prize roses. They get rambunctious in mating season and you might come across a small herd deciding to run across a road out in the rural areas.

Snakes? Must be, but I've never seen one in the city.

We've had way-too-much rain this year and I've noticed an upswing in the number of turtles inching across rural roads.

Coyotes are here, like everywhere, but I've never seen one.

Lots of squirrels 'cause there're lots of trees. LIttle chameleon-like lizards some places in the summer.

Raleigh is too dry and well out of alligator range. (No river through the city, either.) They confine themselves to the wetter and boggier southeastern part of the state.

You can see a hawk most anyplace. Osprey, comorants, and a fair-sized bald eagle colony out at Jordan Lake.

I find the most annoying native is pine pollen, which pours out for 2-3 weeks early every summer and coats stuff in green sticky powder.

Every year or so an immature male black bear or two go way off track and wander into the burbs as they make their first trip away from mom. They keep moving and are gone by the next day. A cute news story but not at all a threat.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:30 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
I saw a little brown snake in a neighbor's yard today.

I see deer everyday.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:19 PM

45 posts, read 118,239 times
Coyote and beaver on Hodges St. I have one BOLD rabbit who eat our clover, and grass at any given time. My Boston ignores it, as well as the squirrels that are everywhere. The geese! if they decide that your yard is good for worms, or you near a small body of water that they claim as their own--get your camera out, they will stop traffic and will nest and poop all over the place. Racoons..I spotted a very LARGE racoon on Meredith campus one night. I heard about the bear near Yates Pond, thank God he left. because of all the building, and destruction of forest, these animals have nowhere to go,but to town, or back to where the woods used to be..in a NEW development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary