Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2013, 11:48 AM

120 posts, read 248,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
How is HBO Go going to work when you cancel your HBO subscription? I don't think you'll be able to get it anymore, nor will you be able to access current stuff on HBO.
Yeah I don't really get it. We are using our in-laws' account so that's one possibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 03:18 PM

19,432 posts, read 27,819,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTenGuyInNC View Post
Yeah I don't really get it. We are using our in-laws' account so that's one possibility.
Yep, that's the answer. Not legal, but WTH.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:10 PM

843 posts, read 2,100,274 times
Quote:
Use your Facebook account instead and post on their facebook page. Took less than 2 hours for them to call me at home and resolve my issues.
Its true... I posted on their Facebook page and sure enough within 1/2 hr they messaged me asking if they could call and resolve the issue. They called the next day and reduced my bill another 20% after I had been told I already had gotten the best deal through their retention dept.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:53 PM

24 posts, read 295,350 times
Default HBO Go

Quote:
How is HBO Go going to work when you cancel your HBO subscription? I don't think you'll be able to get it anymore, nor will you be able to access current stuff on HBO.
I brokered this deal with my brother, I split the cost of adding HBO to his cable ($7/mo) and use that access. It's even worth just paying the whole thing for a friend or family member if your going to cut off cable altogether but still like HBO.

I think we will be able to buy channels individually as apps on Apple TV in the future, it is inevitable. How much better would that be to just cut out the cable company (middle man) and just subscribe to the channels or even shows that we want?! Just simply play the show we want when we want, no need for even a DVR.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:11 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,440,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexthomp View Post
I brokered this deal with my brother, I split the cost of adding HBO to his cable ($7/mo) and use that access. It's even worth just paying the whole thing for a friend or family member if your going to cut off cable altogether but still like HBO.

I think we will be able to buy channels individually as apps on Apple TV in the future, it is inevitable. How much better would that be to just cut out the cable company (middle man) and just subscribe to the channels or even shows that we want?! Just simply play the show we want when we want, no need for even a DVR.
That would be great but in the future internet will be $100/month

There is no free lunch...

Old 08-25-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexthomp View Post
Not bloody likely. Guess who owns HBO???? Time Warner.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:27 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,987,100 times
Quote:
Not bloody likely. Guess who owns HBO???? Time Warner.
TWC is actually one of the best about playing ball with Apple...TWC app for Apple TV is due any day now to let subscribers stream live and on-demand TV without connecting directly to cable.

And HBO reportedly has indeed been in talks with Apple about finding a way to allow Apple to do an over-the-top offering of some sort for its television project.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
TWC is actually one of the best about playing ball with Apple...TWC app for Apple TV is due any day now to let subscribers stream live and on-demand TV without connecting directly to cable.

And HBO reportedly has indeed been in talks with Apple about finding a way to allow Apple to do an over-the-top offering of some sort for its television project.
Okay, I admit I don't get it. I though that Apple TV was just another way of streaming TV (like Roku, Smart TV, etc.), but with the usual terrific user interface.

What does Apple TV do that Roku doesn't do? What does Apple TV do that satellite or TWC doesn't do?

Old 08-25-2013, 09:42 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,987,100 times
Quote:
Okay, I admit I don't get it. I though that Apple TV was just another way of streaming TV (like Roku, Smart TV, etc.), but with the usual terrific user interface.

What does Apple TV do that Roku doesn't do? What does Apple TV do that satellite or TWC doesn't do?
That's mostly it....a one-stop hub for various streaming services in a slick interface. Apple TV is of course the only one to be able to stream content from the iTunes Store. Can also wirelessly stream audio and video, and mirror your screen, from your Mac or iOS device.

It's taken quite a while for Apple TV to really start to gain momentum, but they're starting to roll...they just added WatchESPN and HBO GO apps, as well as Sky News from the UK, and some niche music and anime streaming services. Apps from TWC, music video site Vevo, and the CW are also reportedly coming soon.

Wading into TV is a difficult proposition given the balkanized market with cable companies and content providers driving the bus, but it seems like Apple is finally starting to make some progress.

If Apple has its way, you'll buy an Apple television or set-top box, and your cable company services will essentially become invisible, with everything piped through an Apple interface and integrated with your other services like Netflix or whatever...as seamless as possible. There's a lot standing in their way, but they may yet get there.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:45 PM

24 posts, read 295,350 times
After using apple tv for a little while, I can't see how this wouldn't be the preferred method of watching tv in the near future by the majority. Of course it has some development still ahead, but I think this is the future and TWC is smart for jumping on board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary